PDA

View Full Version : Another Cyclist Hit

Blueberry
04-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Don't know anything about the victim yet, but at least they appear to be throwing the book at the driver. At least that much is good.

Bicyclist Struck Near N.C. State; Driver Charged
Bicyclist Accident

Raleigh, N.C. — A Graham man was charged Wednesday with driving while impaired and felony assault by motor vehicle in connection with a morning accident involving a bicyclist.

According to a Raleigh police report, Brian Anthony Reid, 21, of 310 S. Sixty Court in Graham, registered a .12 blood-alcohol concentration on an alcohol breath test.

Police said the crash happened shortly before 11 a.m. when the truck Anthony was driving struck the female victim near North Carolina State University at Nazareth Street and Crusader Drive near Western Boulevard.

She was taken to WakeMed in Raleigh, but her name and condition were not immediately known.

jesvetmed
04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Brian Anthony Reid, 21, of 310 S. Sixty Court in Graham, registered a .12 blood-alcohol concentration on an alcohol breath test.

Police said the crash happened shortly before 11 a.m. when the truck Anthony was driving struck the female victim

I sure hope she is ok... keep us posted of what you hear.
At 11am, who has a blood alcohol of that high?! Oh my gosh! This person needs the book thrown at them, and alcohol help, obviously.

Blueberry
04-23-2008, 11:53 AM
The only update I've been able to find is that the driver is a Junior Engineering Major at NC State, and that the victim has "life-threatening injuries." The whole thing is just sad. And ridiculous. And unnecessary. :mad:

If I find out anything else, I'll post.

Blueberry
04-23-2008, 12:42 PM
So...updates....

The cyclist is still in critical condition.

She was riding on the right side of the road, and did have a helmet on.

The driver's father issued a statement calling it "an unfortunate accident." This *really* PO's me. It was not an accident. His son chose to drink, admitted drinking, was already over the legal limit at 11AM and ran a potentially lethal weapon into a cyclist. NOT an accident.

If you're close to a university campus be careful. Apparently, it's close to the last day of class, and students are drinking *in class* now.

luv'nAustin
04-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I believe that I heard on the news this afternoon that the male driver turned 21 today. What a way to celebrate a birhtday.

Eden
04-23-2008, 05:07 PM
There was a guy hit around here recently by a drunk driver (yes - they threw the book at her too). She ran over his head with an SUV :eek:, but his helmet saved his life - he only had a mild concussion.

Bike Goddess
04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
lOn the subject of bad drivers- just last Saturday an elderly driver ran into a cyclist who was rightfully cycling up a small hill on the RIGHT side of the road. Apparently the driver did not SEE him in time to avoid him.

The cyclist ended up on top of the hood smashing the windshield. He is in the hospital with broken ribs and lacerations. Fortunately, he will survive.

This is a road we ride regularly as a group and on our own. We also use the same road for our once a month time trials.

OakLeaf
04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
TWO riders have been killed in my town in the last three days.

Both riders had some degree of responsibility for what happened - but in the first case, even though it was on a road where I would NEVER ride (and the people I ride with are of the same opinion), still it was a rear-end collision, and there's been no mention that the driver has gotten so much as a ticket for assured clear distance :(:mad:

Blueberry
04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
D@mn. The rider didn't make it:(:(:( How sad. They haven't yet upgraded the charges, but I'm sure they will.

CA

bmccasland
04-24-2008, 04:01 AM
D@mn. The rider didn't make it:(:(:( How sad. They haven't yet upgraded the charges, but I'm sure they will.

CA

:(:(:( Stupid driver needs to have a picture of the rider, in her full cycling glory, in his jail cell. So every day he gets to wake up and see the life he took. Maybe eventually he'll quit rationalizing and actually feel guilty.

Drunk drivers are one of my pet peeves. Spent a few years scraping up their carnage, working ambulance. I have absolutely no use for them.

Blueberry
04-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Currently, he's out on 10k bond.

However, they just upgraded the charges to felony death by vehicle. Max sentence of 30 years in prison and/or (gotta love that or) a fine.

Looks like his dad is going a lot of the rationalizing for him - accident. Nope. I don't think so.

She was apparently a volunteer professor (retired, and then taught at a state school for free).

Just trying to figure out what I can do. Seems there should be something...

So sad.

tulip
04-24-2008, 08:14 AM
So sad. I went NCSU for one of my grad school programs. Not as bike friendly as UNC (where I also went) because it's bounded by fast-moving traffic streets. It's just not right.

Yesterday I was up in DC for a meeting (in my car) and I was behind a pickup truck on a quiet side street. He was kindof swerving, and he suddenly swerved into a parallel parking space and hit a parked car and took the whole bumper off it! Could have been me on my bike! I was so mad. I stopped and yelled at him. He was smoking a cigar and mumbling. He seemed drunk. There were police cars across the street at the 7-11 and they took notice.

abvnx
04-26-2008, 08:50 AM
:( that is so sad. that poor woman. i cant imagine what her family must be feeling right now. i hope that idiot driver gets more than just a fine.:mad::(

emily_in_nc
04-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I live in NC (less than an hour from where this horrible accident happened), and the last I heard on the local news, the woman who was killed and her husband were avid cyclists, and she did everything right, like wearing a helmet, riding well to the right. etc. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The local news did an interview with her husband the day after she died, and he was very forgiving of the college student who killed her. He just seemed like a really nice, kind older man, quite calm and reflective. I can't imagine being so calm the day after my spouse was killed by a drunk driver. I'm not nearly as generous-spirited as he obviously is. I'm just plain pissed. :mad:

Emily

bmccasland
04-28-2008, 05:47 AM
Hope the stupid irresponsible college kid gets several years in jail. His actions caused someone's death, therefore, he needs to go to jail. Being drunk and behind the wheel is no good excuse for killing someone. If he ran over their prize flowers, maybe a fine, but to Kill a person? Why would just paying a fine even be an option? :eek::confused::eek: