PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet

snapdragen
03-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I seem to be incapable of making up my mind these days. It has to be related to my lack of a vacation for....a long time. Any way, I have developed a facination with the Bell Metro Helmet. It's a major dork patrol look, but I want one. I can't decide on color - Titanium or Platinum.
Platinum is the brownish color, Titanium is the dark gray color.

DeniseGoldberg
03-12-2005, 05:00 AM
My tendency has been to go for lighter and / or brighter colored helmets - but then again I always ride on the road...

newfsmith
03-12-2005, 06:15 AM
I got one, just to encourage Bell to explore the commuter market more. The helmet fits me very well, it is designed for "rounder" heads than say the Giro.
I got the winter insert which is partially right. The ear covers are warm without interferring with hearing, however, they tend to dig into my head and are uncomfortable by the end of my 50 minute winter commute. I really like having the strap for a taillight. Having a light up higher makes it much more visible. On a road bike it would be invisible however, this is meant for a more upright riding posture. I didn't get the rain cover because for some reason they made it black. I'm working on making my own from a Burley. The Burley rain cover always slides down & digs into my forehead uncomfortably. (Yes, I know I'm hard to please.) I like the idea of having snaps to hold the cover in place. The part that is really useless is the mirror, it is so small that it is virtually impossible to adjust correctly. For all it's lack of ventilation, I don't find it hotter than my other helmets in the summer.

Surlygirl
03-12-2005, 02:27 PM
I have the black one and I bought the rain cover. It snaps on and has reflective boomarangs on it. You could probably add more reflecive stickers if you wanted too. I use the little Guardian LED flashing light on the back of the helmet (see www.campmor.com) and you can see it from behind. I like that it looks a little less like a racing helmet.

DirtDiva
03-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Oops - I think I voted for 'platinum' when I meant 'titanium'. But anyway, the idea of earflaps has a certain appeal. I've been for more than one early morning ride to school (or whatever) where I've wished I had my toasty warm snowboarding helmet on. :p

Dogmama
03-13-2005, 05:15 AM
Neither one. You need a bright colored helmet for the road. Sorry to be a spoil sport! :o

White, bright yellow, bright orange, bright red. Not blue, grey, purple, brown or black.

I'm a stickler for these things. I pass up on really cute cycling clothes because they're the wrong color. It's gotta be bright or I won't buy it. The more obnoxious, the better.

snapdragen
03-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Platinum. So I've ordered the Titainium one...... :o Don't have the other in my size.

I think I'm going to like this one, I've never cared for neon bright helmets - I figure if they can't see me in my electric/neon color clothing, a helmet ain't gonna help.