PDA

View Full Version : Questions, questions, questions...

Veronica
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Why do tri tops have the pockets angled sideways? Is it so you can get at what's in them when you're running?

What is a race day belt for? I think it holds your race number, but you don't wear it when you're swimming do you?

Do you wear a hat/visor when you run?

I'm sure I'll have more.

I've been looking through all the past posts in this section. A lot of good info out there. I'm up to page 6 of 40. :)

Thom is so cool. I've been thinking about how to "make do" with clothing I already own for the race. I was thinking I'd wear a swimsuit and just totally change at T-1 into something I could bike and run in. And he said, "No get the proper tool for the job." Or in this case outfit. :D

V.

Jones
04-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I will take a stab at answering some of these questions.
Question 1. I have no idea.
Question 2. You can swim with your race belt on under a wet suit but you really only need your race belt for the run because you have numbers on your bike and on your helmet and in various places on your body in black permanent ink. You have to check the race rules.
Question 3. I run with a hat or visor it keeps my hair out of my face, the sun off my face and the sweat from dripping into my eyes.
As for changing after the swim I don't think there is a place to unless you want to change in the porta-potties ( I would rather ride caked in mud than change in a porta-potty.):p
Jones

rocknrollgirl
04-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Get a trisuit, it will save you from even having to think about what is going on with your clothes.

I put my race belt inside of my running hat. At the bike to run transition, I grab my hat, throw the belt on, start running and put on my hat. I always run with a hat on. I got a nice light weight mesh running hat.

I am an off road triathlete, so I do not know what the roadies do, but we tape our gels to the top tube of the bike. Tape around the tab. That way I just tear, gel and go. I stick the used packets under the leg of my shorts and get ride of them later.

hmmm, what else, I am sure I will think of more things.

You should do a sprint or two if your taining aloows to work the kinks out.

roadie gal
04-20-2008, 06:49 AM
1. I have no idea. I don't use the pockets.

2. The belt holds your race number on instead of pinning it to your clothes. I stick mine in my running shoes and throw it on in T2.

3. I wear a do-rag thingie. I put it on under my bike helmet because I sweat so much. It helps keep the sweat out of my eyes. Then I just keep it on for the run. I look like a dork. I don't care.

4. Unless you're doing an Iron length tri I wouldn't try to change. Think about putting on a T-shirt when you're wet. Ugh. Go for a trisuit or a pair of trishorts and tri top. You just keep the same outfit on the the whole race and you don't have to think about it. Also, there's no place to change in the shorter races.

Just for grins... here's some links to a few race day checklists. I've found it very helpful to have a list that I can look at and check off so that I don't forget anything.
http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/Article-detail.asp?Articleid=108&vote=6
http://triathlon.racechecklist.com/ (This one is VERY extensive.)
http://www.triunify.com/resources/raceday_checklist.html

Wahine
04-20-2008, 07:09 AM
The pockets on the tri top are angled for easier access while running and to decrease the amount of bounce you get from having something with some weight, like a gel in there. That significantly decreases chafing. The anlging also allows the seams to move with your body better.

I never wear my race number on the swim, this is why the race belt is so handy. It allows you to snap your number on very quickly and securely for the bike and run. Many races still require you to wear a number for the bike and that one is supposed to face backward, the run number faces forward. So it also allows you to just spin the number around at T2.

Definitely get a light mesh hat. Triathlons are terrible for over exposure and once that helmets off you lose a lot of coverage.

I would also recommend a one peice tri suit if it's a shorter race.

Kimmyt
04-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Your race number is written on you, so thats what you use for the swim. Your race number is kept on your race belt with your sneakers and other transition stuff. I like the race belt because it minimizes time spent pinning the bib number on a shirt. Alternately, you can pre-pin a number on a shirt but putting a dry shirt on after a swim is trouble enough in itself, and I like to do a race in one outfit throughout.

I also wear a visor when I run, but only when it's sunny. I like the Brooks mesh running visors, they're very cooling, and I like to have my head exposed so it can increase cooling. There should be a decent selection of hats and visors at running stores, they are made of different materials than regular ones. Some have terry cloth in them for sweat absorption, but I thought that would make me too hot. I just toss mine in the wash once in a while when it gets stinky. Try a couple on and see what feels good!

Red Rock
04-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Thank you for asking lots of questions V. These were some of the same ones I had. I have thought about doing a local Sprint tri here but have not come to that point. Perhaps in the future after school is finished. I want to do a Sprint and finish a Century at some point in my life.

KSH
04-21-2008, 05:50 AM
I'm sure I'll repeat some of what someone else has said.

Pockets on the tops are for gels. They work great. I can pack 2 gels in each pocket of my tri top.

I put my race belt on in T1. IF it's required. Otherwise, I just put it on in T2. I don't wear it on the swim as I don't care to get my number wet. I do like to keep my numbers to put my race results on the back.

I always wear a visor. I'm a visor girl. I hate hats. A visor is great because I can pull the front of my hair back in a ponytail and it doesn't have to fit through a hole in the back of a hat.

Happy to hear you are getting a tri suit. Changing is really a pain. Way too much time and effort.

anakiwa
04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
I agree with the comments about race belts and hats.

With regards to clothing- there's also the option of starting with just the tri-shorts. The first year I did tris I bought only the shorts (which I highly recommend) and improvised for the tops. I'd swim in just a sports bra, then throw a cycling jersey or running top on over it in the transition- I'm sure I lost a few seconds but it worked fine.

mommelisa
04-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Why do tri tops have the pockets angled sideways? Is it so you can get at what's in them when you're running?

What is a race day belt for? I think it holds your race number, but you don't wear it when you're swimming do you?

Do you wear a hat/visor when you run?

Thom is so cool. I've been thinking about how to "make do" with clothing I already own for the race. I was thinking I'd wear a swimsuit and just totally change at T-1 into something I could bike and run in. And he said, "No get the proper tool for the job." Or in this case outfit. :D

V.

i think the pockets are angled sideways so that when you're in aero position on your bike, things don't fall out.

i use a race belt in all multisport races. put it on in t1 and you don't have to worry about safety pins or changing clothes.

yes, i wear a hat. i put it on after i take my helmet off in t2. my hair is always a mess! :-)

clothing is a tough one. in shorter distance races, you want to have the quickest transition you can - so completely changing wouldn't be wise. in the longer races, i always change. for example... in ironman, i would wear a bra top and tri shorts under my wetsuit. pull on a bike jersey in t1. then in t2, i generally change - i hate to run in bike shorts, so i go with shorts or a skirt and a new top.

i can't wear a trisuit though - i have to pee too often and that would just frustrate me!