PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast

Veronica
03-11-2005, 06:33 AM
I have to eat a good breakfast before work. I can't snack until 10:30 when the kiddos have recess. I could, but I think it's inappropriate for me to eat when I don't allow them to. My usual breakfast has left me starving at about 9 lately.

Anyway... SadieKate mentioned maple syrup and peanut butter on waffles this weekend. My first thought, sounds kind of sticky. But I gave it a try. It's an interesting combination. I like it. Definitely needs juice with it though. :D

Hopefully it will have more sticking power.

V.

aka_kim
03-11-2005, 06:50 AM
I've always put peanut butter on waffles, and on pancakes too. Don't know about the "sticking" power, but if you eat at the ungodly hour you get up, nothing's going to keep you until 10:30 anyway :).

SadieKate
03-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Glad you liked it! I only eat maple syrup in 3 ways -- on waffles, in my mashed sweet potatos and maple sugar candy. Odd, but I don't like the flavor of maple otherwise. Give us a report on the sticking power. I don't usually have waffles except for "special" mornings when sticking power isn't important, like Xmas Day.

caligurl
03-11-2005, 07:52 AM
i've eaten kashi waffles before.. and they don't "stay" with me.. (that's with either sugar free maple syrup or strawberries and low fat whipped cream) i'm hungry within an hour... the fat of the peanut butter may actually help to keep you from feeling hungry sooner.... one thing that does keep me feeling fuller longer: oatmeal! i read it contains something (wish i could remember what) that did just that... kept you from felling hungry! i've taken to bringing it to work for lunch even and i do go much longer without thinking i need a snack!

bounceswoosh
03-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Anyway... SadieKate mentioned maple syrup and peanut butter on waffles this weekend. My first thought, sounds kind of sticky. But I gave it a try. It's an interesting combination. I like it. Definitely needs juice with it though. :D

Hopefully it will have more sticking power.

V.

I eat my pancakes and waffles with maple syrup and peanut butter, too! My dad does it and I eventually caught on. But I wouldn't dare eat that as a regular meal.

I usually have a bowl of Mueslix, a bowl of instant oatmeal, or a bowl of vanilla yoghurt with grapenuts for breakfast, but to be honest, I'm usually hungry pretty soon thereafter. Waffles only happen on the weekends when DH makes 'em!

Veronica
03-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Frozen Belgian waffles aren't bad. I'd rather make my own, but who has time on the week days. The waffle itself has 200 calories. We won't talk about how much peanut butter I put on. :p But I hey I burned over a 1000 calories on my ride yesterday.

I don't usually eat breakfast until about 7. I drink coffee from the time I get up - unless I'm working out, until then. I hope coffee never gets linked to any really bad diseases. And if it has been, don't tell me.

V.

Libre_Ame
03-11-2005, 08:54 AM
sadie,

Betcha you'd love my maple-date-cream bars. ;)

Barb
03-11-2005, 09:11 AM
I have found that when brakfast is not sticking with me long enough that I am short on protein. A hard boiled egg or some cottage cheese added to my normal breakfast (oatmeal) really goes alot farther. The carbs don't stay with me.

SadieKate
03-11-2005, 09:25 AM
sadie,
Betcha you'd love my maple-date-cream bars. ;)
You have a recipe? I'd make them under the guise of a treat for my hubby, but I have to tell you that I think maple cream donuts are disgusting. But, then I like brussel sprouts :D. I will try anything once . . . well, not bugs. I do try to keep an open mouth, err, mind, where food is the topic, as can be attested to by my hips.

SK

CorsairMac
03-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Veronica: I had the same problem with any carb breakfast. Now I eat scrambled egg-whites, 1/3 cup kidney beans and a grapefruit for breakfast and I can go until noon or later before I'm hungry. I was told by my Dr I don't process the glutons in carbs right which is why I felt "hungry" even to the point of my stomache growling about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs after I ate. Same problem with just fruit as a snack. She told me to eat a protein, a vegetable, and a fruit with every meal. Since I've done that, I don't have the snacky hungries anymore and I lost 50 lbs. I also have lots of energy and feel Great. I did have to start including some carbs into my meals but the legumes, 2 6" tortillas or 1 cup of cooked pasta seem to do the trick. I did try oatmeal recently and I was fine the first few days I ate it for breakfast, but then the hungries came back. I even tried adding legumes to my oatmeal and limiting the serving size from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup but it was just too much gluton. I might be able to eat oatmeal once in a while, but not every day. Anyway, hope it helps!

SadieKate
03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
My power food for big ride days:

7-grain (or more) cut cereal (not rolled like traditional oatmeal) with added sliced almonds and raisins. Might eat a hard-boiled egg if ride start time isn't until late in the morning.

I must have carbs or my glycogen stores poop out. I need a small amount of protein and lots of high fiber carbs. Your stomach takes longer to digest fiber so unprocessed cut-grain cereals are far more nutritional with even a bit more protein than regular oatmeal. Plus, you can have a lot of good stuff like flax seed in there. Add some nuts and fruit, and you've got a good ride day meal that is easily digestible and sticks to your ribs.

DeniseGoldberg
03-11-2005, 10:00 AM
I'm looking for a good mix of carbs and protein in my breakfast cereal, along with what I consider to be a reasonable amount of fiber. So my usual breakfast bowl contains Kashi Go Lean and (Kellogg) All Bran Buds topped with fruit and 1% milk. The fruit depends on season - my preference is bananas and blueberries and strawberries, but the berries can be a problem in the off season. I've been told both that I'm a bit weird and that my off-season substitution is a lot weird, but I've found that grapes work well - so in the winter my cereal is often topped with banana slices and grapes.

If I want something else to top off all of that cereal and fruit, my choice is often a toasted frozen waffle topped with natural (grind-your-own) peanut butter.

It's funny, but I absolutely hated peanut butter when I was growing up - and I can't get enough of it now. Of course that could be the comparison with the processed packaged peanut butter and freshly ground nothing added peanut butter!

Veronica
03-11-2005, 10:42 AM
Well, I wasn't hungry at 9 today like I have been. I need breakfast to be quick and easy for me, so I'm going to keep having this for awhile.

Two big globs of peanut butter - the natural low sodium stuff, chunky - seemed to work. If I gain weight I'll blame on that. ;)

V.

Irulan
03-11-2005, 11:43 AM
granola with yogurt stays with me, much better than cereal and milk.

Irulan

LBTC
03-11-2005, 02:46 PM
big bowl of mueslix ceral the raisin and almond one. with one banana sliced in and about 1/2 c or more (who measures anything?) of frozen blueberries (they are in season for such a short time here....and the frozen seem to be fine! I do have stay bundled up while eating to not get too cold, tho!) and I use soy milk. I eat at about 7:00 (after the dogs and cats have finished), and my next snack is usually no sooner than 10:30, sometimes I go right til noon if I'm busy and in a good mood. I admit that I must drink water and tea during that time, though. Can you drink in class? the type of tea I drink makes a huge difference on how snacky I feel! I tried the stash chai varieties (no milk or sugar or anything in my tea ever). they make me snack. red tea (rooibis), herbal blends like tazo's zen and green and white tea keep me satisfied with no snack impulse.

getting a good dose of strep throat can really whack your appetite. I can't believe how little desire I have to eat. :D I hope that part lasts a good long time. I wouldn't be sad to have a lower appetite all the time!

Namaste,
~T~

bounceswoosh
03-11-2005, 06:48 PM

Every time I've had yoghurt right before mountain biking, I've regretted it. It seems to make me very phlegmy.

RoadRaven
04-18-2005, 10:40 AM
eggs on toast, sometimes with a little bacon

a delish muesli called Peaches; Light and Right, with yoghurt on it

weetbix with banana on it

banana sandwich or banana mashed on toast

sometimes one of these things is enough, sometimes I 'feel' like I should have a couple of them

I rely more on a good meal the night before - if I eat too much before a ride I just feel sick and heavy

CorsairMac
04-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Every time I've had yoghurt right before mountain biking, I've regretted it. It seems to make me very phlegmy.

I know I'm late on this one - but dairy will do that to you. It's why singers Never have any dairy before they have to perform!

Bike Goddess
04-20-2005, 02:00 PM
If I am doing an organized ride, like a century, I generally just do Cytomax pre-ride mix- stir it up, drink, and go! While driving to the event, I often have a bar or banana. I also start drinking liquids- diluted juice (1/8 bottle juice the rest water). Even if I have to go to the bathroom before I start, at least I am hydrated! AND, I also start drinking right away on the ride. :)

If I am doing a long ride with my friends-
Boiled egg, Wheat toast, tea with milk. Then when I start riding- start drinking and munch on some kind of bar within the first 1/2hour of riding. Thereafter, drinking and bar eating will carry me for about 3 hours at which point it would be nice to have lunch! :)

spazzdog
04-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Love the whole waffles with PB and syrup... I take mine with a big glass of milk (2%). I've had it pre-ride and it works well.

Before a long ride I (might) eat a big bowl of cereal with milk (I buy 3 kinds of cereal and mix them in a canister: currently Great Grains with nuts & dates, Grape Nuts, and all 3 kinds of Chex).

Then I take GORP or a couple of PowerBars with me.

My favorite after ride breakfast is still the Bickfords Tri-State (3 eggs over easy, 3 pancakes and double order of bacon with a big milk). Bickfords is like IHOP or Dennys.

Bike Goddess
04-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Good Grief Spazz, I could NEVER eat that much :( I'd be unable to get up; from the table!

spazzdog
04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I have a hollow leg.

DeniseGoldberg
04-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Before a long ride I (might) eat a big bowl of cereal with milk (I buy 3 kinds of cereal and mix them in a canister: currently Great Grains with nuts & dates, Grape Nuts, and all 3 kinds of Chex).

Wow - I thought I was alone in mixing cereal! I've been doing that for years, makes it much more interesting. Lately my mix has been Kashi Go Lean, Bran Buds, and Bran Chex, with fresh bananas, strawberries, and grapes. Yeah, you might think the grapes are a bit odd - I started putting (sliced in half) grapes in cereal a few years back when the summer berries disappeared, and somehow I never stopped.

Pre-ride I usually add a toasted (frozen) waffle with peanut butter too.
--- Denise

coolbeansbikes
04-20-2005, 03:29 PM

Irulan

I second that! I eat that for breakfast quite often!

Sometimes I'll have a grain pilaf with yogurt instead of the granola - for example quinoa with dried or fresh chopped fruit plus the yogurt. For that, I cook the quinoa the night before, and then the next morning just reheat it with the fruit (if dried) and a little juice, then top the whole thing with yogurt (& the chopped fresh fruit if using that)....

~beanie

spazzdog
04-20-2005, 03:31 PM
I started mixing cereal when I lived in Manhattan in a teeny apt with teeny kitchen. The partially full boxes took up too much space, so, depending on what kind it was I mixed 'em up.

The exception are my Coco Krispies or Coco Puffs.

They don't get mixed with nuffin!

spazz

snapdragen
04-20-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm sure I've mentioned my breakfast pizza before, frozen multi grain waffle, peanut butter, and a banana sliced on top, with a glass of orange juice. Cereal doesn't seem to stick with me for long.

Veronica
04-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Snap, you know you are supposed to cook the waffle, not eat it frozen.

V.

snapdragen
04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Dang! That explains alot!! :D

shiverin' snapdragen

Snap, you know you are supposed to cook the waffle, not eat it frozen.

V.

Crankin
04-21-2005, 06:52 AM
Veronica,

Just a thought... I am a teacher, too. I get up at 5 and my lunch is not until 12:30. Why don't you let your kids eat during class? Is it a school policy? There's so much brain research that shows how learning is enhanced by good hydration and food! Perhaps you could take a 2 minute snack break, let the kids eat clean snacks (nothing goopy) and get back to work. Or, let them eat and do seat work. I eat a big breakfast compared to most; a bowl of cereal and fruit has me hungry in an hour. I vary between egg white omelets with a small bowl of cereal, oatmeal and a couple of slices of turkey or ham, whole wheat bagels, cheese, and fruit, breakfast burritos, even tuna in a red pepper. They key is to eat protein with the carbs. Then I eat a mix of walnuts and dried cranberries at about 9:45 and a low fat string cheese at around 11. Since i teach 7th grade, I have different kids with me at these times, so it does appear to them that I am eating all morning long (though I could).

Veronica
04-21-2005, 07:24 AM
We start our day at 8:15 and my class has a snack time at 10:25. We have a major ant and cockroach problem so I try to have them eat outside. This year our principal decided they could no longer eat in a designated area at recess time. So we go right outside our door onto a grassy area when we can.

I do let them eat during class on a case by case basis. The trouble with 5th graders is they can be real pigs and messy, even with something that shouldn't be, or they will try to eat their whole lunch at snack time. Every now and then though I'll have one who didn't get to eat breakfast or whatever. Those I let eat for exactly the reason you said. Hydration wise, my kids can get drinks whenever I'm not actively teaching. I also encourage them to have a water bottle at their desk.

V.

CorsairMac
04-21-2005, 12:27 PM
where were you when I was in school?? :(

Veronica
04-21-2005, 01:13 PM
It can be really hot here. Today is probably in the low 70s. That's not really hot - sometimes we have 90s. They play hard. I've suffered dehydration headaches. It ain't no fun!

V.

SadieKate
04-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Can you hear my violin? At least you're closer to the river than us. However, I know lots of schools aren't air-conditioned. Are you one of the lucky ones?

DirtDiva
04-21-2005, 01:42 PM
I like the kids to have drink bottles too. Much easier than having them running off to the water fountain and missing stuff they should be around for. Also, I can't get through an hour and a half without a drink of water, so I won't ask that of the kids. As for the eating, unless they've missed breaky/lunch, I don't let 'em do it; I just find it is too distracting in most situations. And, yeah, like V said, they can be messy little buggers. :p

Veronica
04-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Yeah, we do have air conditioning theoretically. We don't seem to get much cooling from the river. I actually don't mind the heat - as long as I have water. I have to see, my students start to reek at this time of the year. Hormones are starting to kick in.

V.

Crankin
04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Yea, my kids can be pigs, but I am on their cases about throwing away the granola bar wrappers, etc. Generally, I do a visual search before they leave my room. I also let them have water bottles. here in New England, hardly any schools are air conditioned and it really gets hot since we don't end school until at least June 18th or so. I just couldn't eat in front of the kids and not let them eat!
Veronica, I taught fifth graders for 2 years and I found that they were much neater than my 7th graders. I just tell them my classroom is like my house and they need to act like they are at a dinner party at my house as far as the eating manners go!

SadieKate
04-27-2005, 01:31 PM
Robyn and V, I had to share this. My father taught high school English and declared that he ran a totally democratic classroom, full freedom of choice. You could do what he said or get out! :p

He was beloved by his students though and I got to witness it firsthand so I know he wasn't as harsh as this sounds. He had several students visit during college and tell him he was the one who inspired them to read.