PDA

View Full Version : maybe I'm looking a little too comfortable?

redrhodie
04-16-2008, 08:45 AM
So, I'm riding downhill on this country road, and I hear a car approaching. The road is really rutty, and the shoulder is construction gravel. Usually at this place, I take the lane, but since this car is on my tail, I politely move right to where there is about an 8" sliver of pavement. The car doesn't pass, but pulls up next to me, and the passenger opens her window, and asks "Do you know where Newport Memorial Cemetary is?"

I'm focused on that sliver of road, but I manage to muster up a "NO!" along with a sideways hairy-eyeball, a look I've mastered from years of living with DBF.

After, I wished I thought to say, "No, why, are you trying to put me there?"

Grog
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm on the fence: should I be amused or annoyed by that driver's cluelessness?

*sigh*

Melalvai
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I probably would not have moved over. I keep my three feet whether they want to give it to me or not. Last night I was absolutely sure the kid in the pickup behind me through the roundabout was going to give me the finger or something because I slowed down when I hit the curve--wind was strong in my face--but he smiled and waved as he passed after the roundabout. Then we were side by side (in different lanes) at the stop light and I hollered "Thanks for waiting for me!" and he was really nice.

Your story reminds me of a terribly rainy windy day last week when I pulled my trailer up the 2nd steepest hill I've ever been on. At the top of the hill a lady stopped me, in the rain, in the middle of traffic did I mention how wet I was??, to ask me directions to the hospital. I wished later that I had just kept on riding.

Geonz
04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I dunno, when somebody wants directions to a hospital or cemetery... odds are better than usual that there's something unpleasant involved and they're upset and perhaps not behaving normally.

redrhodie
04-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I dunno, when somebody wants directions to a hospital or cemetery... odds are better than usual that there's something unpleasant involved and they're upset and perhaps not behaving normally.

Yeah, I thought of that afterward. Still, it was kind of surreal.

SouthernBelle
04-17-2008, 04:57 AM
as the the guy in the truck, I think sometimes people just find us interesting. Last night, Meg & I got in a rare ride together. At a traffic light, a woman in front of us was too busy looking at us in her mirror to go. I pointed out that seeing 2 women on road bikes in our area isn't that common and she was just interested, or fascinated, or whatever.

Sometimes it's a compliment.

However, the lady asking directions was clueless.

Aint Doody
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
At the end of about a 20 mile ride by myself, I was heading back to my car which was parked at work. I was on a one-way street and needed to turn left. I made my signals and got in the left lane and noticed a big, black SUV behind me. I turned, and it followed me, then passed me, then stopped. I thought, "Oh, no, I've pixxed somebody off somehow." The guy motioned me to his passenger window. I eased up reluctantly. He had just bought a cruiser and wanted to chat! He went on and on as he sat in his big SUV smoking a cigarette. I was very pleasant and finally was able to get away from him. I asked if he had gotten a helmet. His reply was, "Naw, they didn't have one big enough to fit my head!" What a character..........