PDA

View Full Version : quick-drying sports bra?

bounceswoosh
03-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi all -- yet another bra question!

I'm looking for a sports bra that is one piece (no hooks, adjustable straps, etc) and dries quickly! I've never had any bounce pain as long as I'm wearing any sports bra at all, so it probably doesn't need to be ultra-supportive.

The problem: I'm getting cold because my sports bras just don't dry as quickly as the rest of my gear! This is a problem for a lot of things: a long downhill after an arduous climb, riding the lift while skiing, and driving home after a workout when I don't feel like doing the sportsbra-extraction-shimmy in the parking lot!

Currently, all my sportsbras are the same model of Champion Doubledry. I can't seem to find the exact model anymore, so maybe they don't make that exact style. Now, you'd think that Doubledry would imply that it would dry quickly, but no! Not at all.

Can anyone recommend a bra model or fabric that really does dry well? As I said, it doesn't need to be the most supportive bra ever; just a bit more than my regular bras, which are victoria's secret standard underwire. I don't mind the uniboob effect, either.

skibum
03-10-2005, 04:44 AM
I can't offer any help, just a great big me too! I also wear the Champion Doubledry. I like it because it's comfortable and it gives me just the right amount of support. But, I have the same problem as you, Monique. The bra does a great job of wicking the sweat away from your body but it just holds onto all that moisture. If you're no longer moving, it becomes cold and clammy very quickly. I've become an expert at the sportsbra-extraction-shimmy because if I don't get the bra off ASAP, I am freezing, even on a warm day.

It's about time for me to buy a couple new sport bras. I'm open to trying some new models if anyone knows of one that stays drier.

trigurl
03-10-2005, 11:25 AM
I haven't found one that dries quick! I run and get soaking wet and then freeze b/c my bras are wet (I wear 2). I would love to know of one that is quick dry. I just wish we had a hand dryer in the gym locker room :D

Surlygirl
03-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Check out Title 9 sports. They have some great bras and they even rate them.
www.title9sports.com

bounceswoosh
03-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Check out Title 9 sports. They have some great bras and they even rate them.
www.title9sports.com

I'll happily look at online catalogues, but I'm hesitant to go through the order/try/return/order process without at least some suggestion that the material will dry quickly. I'll see if I can find a support (giggle) email address at t9 and shoot them an email with the same question.

Maybe it's just not possible to create the right kinds of support with quick-drying fabric, but I hope that's not true.

fixedgeargirl
03-10-2005, 01:14 PM
I have a bra made by Victoria Secret called the "Shock Absorber". It's a single layer of fabric, which makes a lot of difference in the evaporation rate. Because it is a single layer, it's a non-stretch fabric with lots of seams going every which way. The seams are all nicely taped, and I haven't had any issues with them. Now, the fact that it's a non-stretch fabric means they had to put in adjustable straps and back hooks. I know you're looking for something w/o adjustable straps or hooks, but everything I've worn built like that has been made of lycra-containing fabrics which just can't offer support when used in a single layer. Thus they are double layer and prone to getting all clammy, icky...well, you know. The bra of which I speak is a racer back, with the hooks in the back and getting into it can take some thought, but when I'm ready to shuck it, I just undo the hooks and, erm, pop right out, so to speak.

Aside: I'd love to stick cute smilies in here in appropriate places, but this computer won't let me! (Red-faced smiley here) So, please, ladies, insert them in your minds.

bounceswoosh
03-14-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a bra made by Victoria Secret called the "Shock Absorber". It's a single layer of fabric, which makes a lot of difference in the evaporation rate. Because it is a single layer, it's a non-stretch fabric with lots of seams going every which way. The seams are all nicely taped, and I haven't had any issues with them.

Hrm, interesting. I wouldn't have expected VS to have the secret to sports bras, but it's certainly worth a look ... I'm just concerned that the hooks and adjusters would chafe after a while.

bounceswoosh
03-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Well, I got an answer from Title 9. I hope they (and TE) don't mind me reposting it here:

Thanks for your email. The best wicking material is Coolmax, which draws moisture away from the body and dries relatively fast. I don't know of any material out there that will do this better than Coolmax.

Based on your needs, I would recommend that you try the Melbourne Bra (item 310144 and 310175). The outer AND inner layers of this bra are made of Coolmax, which means double wicking action.

I think I will try one of these before throwing in the towel on sports bras without hooks and sliders.

fixedgeargirl
03-15-2005, 07:14 AM
I await your report on the Melbourne! Now that I live in steamy Texas, I'm going to be VERY interested in evaporation rates. Though I just moved from a place where going hypothermic at 12,500 feet was a possiblity, so it was nice to keep dry there, too.

Hrm, interesting. I wouldn't have expected VS to have the secret to sports bras, but it's certainly worth a look ... I'm just concerned that the hooks and adjusters would chafe after a while.

For the record, I haven't had any issues with the metal bits. There's quite a bit of insulation between you and the back hooks, with a nice veloury material directly against the skin. The strap adjustment is actually a hook at the top of the cup which slides into one of the four or so fabric slots on the strap. Again, well padded, with wide straps so they don't dig in.

Another reason I like it is the realistic silhouette (read: no monoboob). The OP wasn't concerned about this, but thought I'd throw it out there for those who are.

lkrider
03-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Just a word about supporting the biz that supports this forum...I am not a big shopper, but noticing that a lot of cycling catalogs and stores offer only a page or two or a bitsy corner to women's needs...check out "bras" on the team estrogen shopping site! 20 different styles! I wanted to add that it is a bit of a mission of mine lately to put my money into companies that are small and support quality communities/rather than mega conglomorates....in this spirit....i will tell you all a short story. I recently went to my first local BTA meeting (Bicycle Transportation Alliance-a non profit bicycle advocacy group) and who should I meet, but Susan, one of the owners of TeamEstrogen. She recognized my name because I live in the same town and had recently signed on to the forum. (wow!) The point is--te is a responsible company, supporting the bicycling community, offering gear especially for women & maintaining this fabulous forum for us, so we should support them whenever possible.

Jones
03-16-2005, 02:35 AM
hi, I'm new here and to all forums everywhere (unless you count the shops at ceasars) and I have been lurking on this forum for a long time and have learned so much. I too am in search of the perfect sports bra but if I were smaller breasted and was looking for quick drying with no hardware I think I might try a triathlon bra top. It would not offer me enough support but for say a B or small C they might work and they are designed to dry quickly after you swim.
Hope this helps.

Jones

bounceswoosh
03-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Just a word about supporting the biz that supports this forum...I am not a big shopper, but noticing that a lot of cycling catalogs and stores offer only a page or two or a bitsy corner to women's needs...check out "bras" on the team estrogen shopping site! 20 different styles!

Yes, sure, but I'm not going to order 20 bras to see which one works. That's why I was looking for opinions. The product description just isn't enough.

If you'll notice in some other bra threads, TE folks have recommended all sorts of bras, even ones that they don't sell. That kind of service and dedication to helping their customers, not just making a sale, is what keeps me coming back to TE. I've spent a not-small amount of money here!

I wanted to add that it is a bit of a mission of mine lately to put my money into companies that are small and support quality communities/rather than mega conglomorates....in this spirit....i will tell you all a short story. I recently went to my first local BTA meeting (Bicycle Transportation Alliance-a non profit bicycle advocacy group) and who should I meet, but Susan, one of the owners of TeamEstrogen. She recognized my name because I live in the same town and had recently signed on to the forum. (wow!) The point is--te is a responsible company, supporting the bicycling community, offering gear especially for women & maintaining this fabulous forum for us, so we should support them whenever possible.

I agree with all of that. That being said, Title 9 isn't exactly a mega conglomorate, either, and they are also a small company dedicated to helping active women be comfortable.

bounceswoosh
03-16-2005, 07:06 AM
hi, I'm new here and to all forums everywhere (unless you count the shops at ceasars) and I have been lurking on this forum for a long time and have learned so much. I too am in search of the perfect sports bra but if I were smaller breasted and was looking for quick drying with no hardware I think I might try a triathlon bra top. It would not offer me enough support but for say a B or small C they might work and they are designed to dry quickly after you swim.
Hope this helps.

Jones

Ooh, that's a good idea. I'm probably more on the upper end of C, but I'm fortunate in that I can deal with a fair amount of bounce without pain, so maybe I can check them out. Looks like they're cheaper than traditional sports bras, too!

CorsairMac
03-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Jones! Nice place to lurk isn't it? If you get a chance there's a thread called "getting to know you" in the open forum, gives you a chance to learn about us, and if you're so inclined, tell us something about you! Love the idea of the Tri bra.....I might have to look into that for riding. I Have Other bras for running! :D

bounceswoosh
03-23-2005, 07:36 PM
As an update:

I've ordered and received both the Melbourne bra (from T9) and this Tri top from TE: http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=8455

I've tried both on, but used neither in a ride situation (stupid bronchitis. stupid work. lazy me ...)

Anyway, here's what I can say just from trying them on and jumping around a bit to test bounce/pain.

Melbourne:

I got the size large. The outer layer is one piece; the inner layer has multiple panels such that there are breast shapes stitched into the layer. The inner layer is mesh. I got the solid color, and I have to admit I'm not thrilled by it; I'm just not a pastel person, I guess. When I pull this bra on, what I notice are several folds in the inner layer that show through the outer layer. I can fix this by tugging on the bra here and there a few times, but it's a bit weird.

Fit: when I hop around, I feel more movement than I do with any of my other bras. The only sportsbra I've ever owned that felt as "move-y" were my old cotton ones that I had for several years and wore every day =P That being said, I felt none of the pain I associate with my breasts dropping suddenly, so it must be slowing the descent enough.

Tri top:

Wow. This thing is small. As in, much less coverage than any of my sportsbras; narrower waistband, more neck showing, etc. More like a bathing suit, which I guess makes sense. I got the 36 because I wear a 36C, and while it's tight, it's not painfully so. It actually seems like it allows less movement than the Melbourne does. There are still two layers to the breast area of the bra, but without the shaping of the Melbourne. I actually suspect that I will end up liking this bra better than the Melbourne, but I'll have to put them both to the test in actual sweaty conditions to know for sure.

fixedgeargirl
03-24-2005, 08:22 AM
I eagerly await the true trials. But don't go hard if you have bronchitis. I've done it, seen friends do it and it only winds up prolonging things. Take care! I've been thinking about getting a tri top or two for my first summer here in Texas. Making the switch of mindset from rugged Colorado single track to Central Texas roadie.

Like lkrider, I, too like to support responsible businesses which are contributing members of the community. However, I often cannot afford to do so, especially with non-essential purchases such as sporting goods. In my PP responding to bounceswoosh's OP, I offered an honest review of a product which I liked which happened to have been produced by a *mega-conglomerate*. I got this product, as I do many, second-hand. I did not intend to offend the hosts of this board, or anyone else. If anything, I hope that my opinion of a *competing* product, and my expression of what I look for in this type of product, could inform the choices made by the buyers for TE. Call it "consumer input".

snapdragen
03-24-2005, 09:03 AM
fixed, I'm sure you've offended no one....at least not me! TE is a great place to shop, as is Title 9, Vickies secret (one of MY favorites)...oh I could go on, but then I'm a shopping wh***. :p

bounceswoosh
03-24-2005, 09:13 AM
I eagerly await the true trials. But don't go hard if you have bronchitis. I've done it, seen friends do it and it only winds up prolonging things. Take care! I've been thinking about getting a tri top or two for my first summer here in Texas. Making the switch of mindset from rugged Colorado single track to Central Texas roadie.

Thanks! I'll try not to overdo it. But I am going to my martial arts class tonight; I'll try to take it easy, but that never really works.

Like lkrider, I, too like to support responsible businesses which are contributing members of the community. However, I often cannot afford to do so, especially with non-essential purchases such as sporting goods. In my PP responding to bounceswoosh's OP, I offered an honest review of a product which I liked which happened to have been produced by a *mega-conglomerate*. I got this product, as I do many, second-hand. I did not intend to offend the hosts of this board, or anyone else. If anything, I hope that my opinion of a *competing* product, and my expression of what I look for in this type of product, could inform the choices made by the buyers for TE. Call it "consumer input".

I try to support good small businesses, even to my financial disadvantage, but when it comes to bras, I say wear what works, not what is most politically sound. Part of good customer service, imo, is referring you to another brand or store if it can solve a problem that your product can't. I've worn the VS Body-model bra for years, because every time I try a different bra, I'm dissatisfied with the fit and comfort. With VS, when I need new bras, I can order a bunch of Body bras and be done with it, without questioning if they will be uncomfortable or whether they will change shape with a few washes. It's not loyalty, it's convenience. If another brand had turned out to have "the" bra for me, I'd stick with them, too.

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Like lkrider, I, too like to support responsible businesses which are contributing members of the community. However, I often cannot afford to do so, especially with non-essential purchases such as sporting goods.
I can't help the budget situation but I do want to add a comment about sporting goods being "non-essential." Exercise is an absoutely vital component for our health and well-being. It can play an active role in both recovery and general maintenance. I know that my immune system goes haywire if I don't exercise regularly. My allergies go out of control and I will have constant sinus infections. I deal with stress better and, therefore, keep the MS symptoms reduced when I exercise regularly. I can spend the money on sports bras and bikes or I can spend the money on medicines, sinus surgeries, therapists, doctors, etc. I would also say my marriage is better because I'm better company when I'm healthy. :) So, do not downgrade the importance of good sports equipment. If you've got the right equipment, you're more likely to be out there riding or running or whatever, and less likely to be overweight, stress or insomonia-ridden, sick, depressed, whatever; it becomes a long line of expensive dominos waiting to tumble. Please realize that this equipment is just part of keeping you healthy and happy. I know this doesn't help the budget situation, but don't feel guilty. Just put the cost of a sports bra in the medical supplies category.

fixedgeargirl
03-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Excersize is an essential part of who I am, and an essential part of my health. And it keeps me from becoming an absolute bear (mmmmm...endorphins!). I know both intellectually and experientially how important exercise is to well-being, both psychologically and physiologically. And it can go so, so far in mitigating all sorts of chronic conditions, again for both the psychological and physiological effects. No disputing that, at all, ever from me!!!!! My priorities right now are such that $50 buying organic, whole foods for my family for our collective long-term health is more essential than spending $50 for a sports bra. I can't do both.

Don't get me wrong, I am a self-confessed gear snob. No chepo bras (or anything esle) for me!!! I just find ways to get things without having to pay full retail. I am eternally thankful for the wonderful bikes and equipment I acquired while my husband was a frame builder. I know that having such wonderful equipment (and a world class mechanic, DH) contributed much to my enjoyment of the sport when I was starting out (and getting dropped left and right), and has a lot to do with why I'm still at it, even as life has thrown me curve balls which whittle my recreation/re-creation time down to a mere nubbin of what it was when I started riding.

I'm with ya, SK, on the importance of exercise! And am totally inspired by you!!

SadieKate
03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm with ya, SK, on the importance of exercise! And am totally inspired by you!!

Hey, don't look up to me! I can't even imagine what life would be like if i had more children than the superb poodle and the hubby :D ! I have the luxury of really being able to focus on me when I need to. Title 9 passed at a time in my life when it really made a difference so my ears perk up when I hear/see remarks that make me think someone doesn't understand the crucial value of sports for women. I also know what exercise has done for my health and daily expect the call from my parents and brother who, I swear, have got to be diabetes/heart failure patients in the making. I'm just hardheaded, nothing more. Ask my mom :D .

lkrider
04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Sorry....I did not mean to sound condescending. I am embarrassed at being quoted to much! Everyone needs to shop for the best product to meet thier needs and BUDGET....I am rather new to this forum (esp. the shopping part) I saw the first part of this thread, with no mention of the sponsoring company, and thought I would spread the good word of my new mantra "support the little guys" & "shop local". I have bought goods and services where I could afford to on many occasions, past and present. It's life. We can only do what we can do, and ironically....after looking at the sports bra selection here for my daughter, I realized that indeed, Title 9 (yes-also a good women supportive company) does have a a much greater selection of differing styles. This forum is a wonderful community (I visualize lots of grins), and I hope to be part of it for a long time. I have received so many positive vibes and inspiration. Thanks everyone. :)

CorsairMac
04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
nothing to forgive ma'am....that's what makes this forum so awesome! We are such a diverse group of women, quiet, unopinionated and non-assertive! It's fun having you here - and each and every one of the rest of the TE board.....it's why I keep coming back instead of doing things like: the dishes, the laundry, or go to bed!!!!!

Corsair "I Really should go to bed" Mac

singletrackmind
04-12-2005, 06:12 PM
A dry bra would be great but I'd almost kill for a dry bra that doesn't give you uniboob and holds the double d's in one place comfortably without bounce. Especially when I am on dirt. It'd be even better if it looked more like a sportsbra, too, than a regular one.

Anyone?