PDA

View Full Version : Group Rides in DC area for Ladies Just Beginning on Road Bikes

juliemcd
04-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Hi, all...I recently purchased a road bike, and am looking for information on cycling clubs in the area appropriate for someone at my level. I'm in shape--run and workout daily--but I've been out of cycling for 4-5 years.
I'd like information on groups that aren't too advanced--I'm likely pretty slow and would hate to feel like I'm holding the group up...
Any advice would be great and much appreciated!
Thanks!!

F8th637
04-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Welcome, julie!

I've picked up cycling within the last year or so and definitely am not the fastest. I just mentioned to someone on another thread that I've found that the VeloDCity Meetup group (http://bike.meetup.com/133/) is a great place to get your feet wet. I joined them for a couple of rides last year on my hybrid and always found myself pretty much in the middle of the group. The rides are no-drop and it's a good way to introduce yourself to group riding and other places to ride in the area.

You sound like you are in more shape than I am but I'd be up for a ride as well!

tulip
04-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Welcome, Julie! Great name (it's my name, too :))

Faith and I both are busy giving CindyVA advice in this thread:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=22533

Sounds like you, Cindy, and Faith should get together for a ride!

7rider
04-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Welcome to TE and to the Mid-Atlantic group!

When you say "slow" - how slow is "slow"? Do you noodle along at 10 mph, or can you maintain upwards of 18-20 mph on the flats? What are your goals for cycling? Do you want to become faster? Stronger? Ride longer rides? Climb better? Ride comfortably with a group?

Also...keep tabs on the Mid-Atlantic forum here at TE. We occasionally do group rides - both on and off-road - that are friendly and geared towards casual good times.

Also...a group of women affiliated with MORE (http://www.more-mtb.org/)(Mid-Atlantic Offroad Enthusiats) have a series of rides called RLAG (http://www.ridelikeagirl.org/)(Ride Like a Girl). While primarily off-road, they are in 2008 making a concerted effort to include more road rides in the mix to appeal to the broadest possible group of riders. Rides are all generally beginner friendly and in the VA/DC/MD area. I've been on a few and always have a great time. Contact Liz (see the RLAG link) for more info and to get on her newsletter email list.

If your goals are to get up to the point of doing some hammer-time, I do a Sunday a.m. ride with the Bicycle Place - off Rock Creek Park in Silver Spring. http://www.thebicycleplace.com/ride_with_us/index.html
The ride is "spirited" and a heckufalotta fun (and a great way to meet other cyclists)! The ride is broken into 3 groups - A - the stupid fast guys; B - the stupid fast guys who stop to regroup and catch their breath, and C - the rest of us who want to do an aerobic fast-ish ride (16-18 mph over about 28 miles, which is honestly a whole lot easier to accomplish with a group), but not kill ourselves in the process...oh, and have a fun time doing it. It's a great training opportunity for fitness, and includes pacelines and climbing. Talk to the folks at the shop if you're interested or even PM me for the skinny.

juliemcd
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone--I will check all this information out--I really appreciate the feedback.
When I say slow, I would say around 10mph, at least that's what I was cycling years ago when I had a hybrid. I just bought a road bike, and haven't even picked it up yet, so I'm not sure if I'll be slower or faster than that.
My goals are to get faster and more comfortable tackling hills...

juliemcd
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
ALSO--I would definitely be up for getting together and riding in a month or two, when I get used to being on my bike, the shoes, pedals, etc.

F8th637
04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Julie, (not Tulip), you'll be faster on a road bike definitely. You and I are probably at the same level.

CindyVA
04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
I just ordered my new bike yesterday, too (Felt Z65) but have been riding a hybrid. I do about 11-12 mph average on my trek 7100. I hope to pick that up a bit with the Felt.

I would love to ride with anyone that wants to! Sounds like we have a lot in common!

Cindy

madscot13
04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I have yet to go on a group ride but this group was suggested to me
http://www.bikepptc.org/

they have lots of rides and rankings. hopefully this summer I will be able to join them.

but if anyone here wants to organize rides I am happy to join

tulip
04-10-2008, 04:22 AM
Ladies, if I still lived in DC, I'd take you on some GREAT rides!

I hope you all get together soon. Try out a PPTC or Oxon Hill ride together, and then you'll have cue sheets and can keep each other company.

Have fun!
-Tulip (the other Julie)

aicabsolut
04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I know lots of fun routes and am always looking for company, especially on weekdays (most of my fellow student cyclists for some reason like to ride really early in the morning).

A word of caution: I'm in the midst of race season and trying to train pretty hard, so you'd have to be able keep up. Not that I'd offer to go on a ride and then leave you to get lost (I will regroup after hills or whatever causes gaps in my group, and I expect those riding with me to do the same)--after all, if I say I'm going to ride with someone, I try to ride *with* them. So, get me your road bike cruising speeds, and maybe we'll be able to get together. :) I don't mind if you're a bit slower than my hard ride pace. I put in a lot of time in the little ring just getting in the miles, especially later in the summer and towards the fall, or if I'm tapering a bit for a race.

Zen
04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
If you're anywhere near Frederick I'd be the one to ride with.
I don't race and I don't hammer anything. I just enjoy the sights, the air and the feeling of the human as a machine.

I'm slow but sure.

F8th637
04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm slow but sure.

Just how I like it. ;)