PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Rides

Veronica
03-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Wow our March weekends are packed. We are doing our Diablo rides on the only two days we don't have plans.

March 20th 9 AM- Mountain bike starting in Mitchell Canyon. Technically we don't actually go to the top, although you can. You can read about that in a post from last year Devil's Elbow Ride (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=1213&highlight=mountain+bike+diablo). It requires some riding on the road.

If you're interested in joining us, I'll figure out the directions to Mitchell Canyon and post them.

March 26 9AM - Road ride, meet at Arbolado Park, 2nd parking lot.

Veronica

SadieKate
03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
I've got 'em on the calendar though not sure I can do Diablo on Saturday and Cardiac on Sunday. You and Kim can be the Ironwomen.

The mtbride sounds great but kind of death-defying. What part are you planning on doing the 20th?

Veronica
03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
We won't do Devil's Elbow. We'll stick to the fire roads, although if a group wanted to go do it, they certainly could and meet up with us at Meridian. It's beautiful, but you do have to ride on the road from Juniper to Devil's Elbow.

We're riding Mines Road the day before this with our club. It's the back side of Mt. Hamilton. Should make for a tiring weekend. :D

V.

SadieKate
03-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Just a note to let you know we're definitely planning on riding this Sunday, the 20th. I think this is the mtbike version, but if you'd rather do a road version we can do either. Just let us know which bikes to bring.

We'll need directions to Mitchell Canyon. Is this in any of the multitude of guide books I probably own? :)

Sadie "the bookworm" Kate

Veronica
03-15-2005, 05:44 PM
I hope it doesn't rain. If there's too much rain on Saturday, we'll road bike the mountain instead. Unless of course it's raining on Sunday.

Directions: 680 to Ygnacio. Take it until you get to Pine Hollow. It's just after the Cal State Hayward Campus. Turn right on Pine Hollow. Then turn right on Mitchell Canyon road. You'll need to pay to park - unless you have a state parks pass.

Kim lives over that way and maybe she can give some better landmarks for the turns.

Is the Folsom contingent coming?

V.

SadieKate
03-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Veronica. I'll go check some maps. Bubba was all ready to ride Diablo last weekend. I can't believe how gung ho he is to go ride hills! Due to the Vaca Mtns our rainfall can be significantly different than the East Bay, so be sure to let us know the plan.

Haven't heard from Petunia since Berryessa.

SadieKate
03-16-2005, 11:06 AM
the book states "the challenge is maintaining control of your speed and traction while descending a significantly steep, curvy singletrack trail over loose dirt and gravel. Throw in a few spots of heart-stopping drop-offs and it's enough to make intermediate riders think twice about walking . . . the kind of terrain that separates the intermediate from the advanced riders."

Not only don't I do drop-offs, you don't want to be the rider behind me when my brain makes my entire body freeze because there is a cliff anywhere in the vicinity.

The route described in the book goes up Mitchell to Deer Flat to Juniper to Summit Rd and then goes down via the North Peak Trail, Prospector Gap and Donner Canyon Rd. Do I need to join Kim in a road ride? I'm always game for exploration but I do have serious problems with edges. I'm getting better but . . . . I can always meet you after for burdos. :D

yellow
03-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Well, based on that description, I'll look forward to the report!

I'm off on the ski hut trip this weekend so no riding for me. I'll be thinking about you and hopefully not wishing I was somewhere else (there is a good chance of RAIN as opposed to SNOW in the mountains, which makes for pretty miserable skiing).

Gawd, I am so conflicted this time of year.

y

Veronica
03-16-2005, 12:22 PM
We're NOT doing the single track section.

V.

aka_kim
03-16-2005, 12:33 PM
SK, you can still join me on the road if you want to :)

Veronica
03-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Looks like tomorrow will be a road ride. How's 1 o'clock at Arbolado Park? The weather is looking kind of iffy still. Today would have been nice. It was pouring when we left to go piano shopping, but it got nice, albeit very windy, in the early afternoon.

V.

SadieKate
03-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Yep, sounds good. 1 pm gives us plenty of time to guess how wet and windy it is. Even if it is dry, not sure we want to experience freaky wind gusts up on top of that thing. Takes away some of the downhill fun factor.

Zoom zoom,
SK

aka_kim
03-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Today probably wouldn't have been the best day. It's verrry gusty here, and the Mt. Diablo event station shows 49 mph gusts at the summit. From experience I know it's not fun riding the mountain in high wind conditions.

If the winds die down and the rain stays away, I'll be joining you guys.

cindysue
03-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey Ladies!

Did you get up Diablo Sunday? I was in Tahoe.

Crossing my fingers for sunshine this coming Sunday. I'm supposed to ride through Napa with friends.

Veronica
03-22-2005, 11:14 AM
No, we're going to have to do it twice in one day now. I wish this rain would go away. Two weeks of vacation and the weather forecast is for rain just about every day. How's a girl supposed to make her cycling goals with that?

V.

cindysue
03-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Two weeks of vacation and the weather forecast is for rain just about every day. How's a girl supposed to make her cycling goals with that? V.

No kidding! I'm on spring break this week. I've got Cinderella and two centuries (Tierra Bella and Chico) to prepare for!

Veronica
03-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I'll be doing Coach Troy this afternoon. But my trainer miles don't count towards my monthly mileage goals and they certainly don't count as trips up Diablo.

Ah... well, I've made bread and brownies today. It's not like it's a total waste.

V.

yellow
03-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Too bad it would cover up the cashmere.

http://www.tdrinc.com/body1.html

(I still can't figger out how to embed images...sorry for my lameness. :( )

Veronica
03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Ahh... no. It's just not fashionable enough for me. :p

V.

SadieKate
03-23-2005, 01:13 PM
But, V, it solves the problem of the uni-boob look. It lifts and separates! :D

aka_kim
03-23-2005, 06:32 PM
That's a real product!? I thought it was some joke advertisement concerning asbestos removal. It is quite fetching, though, and complements V's Rivendell.