PDA

View Full Version : Good Drivers

maillotpois
04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
We have a lot of well-deserved threads about the bad drivers out there, but after my ride this afternoon, I feel compelled to write about the GOOD drivers:

1. I was doing speed work on a windy narrow road (Paradise). Speed limit 25. This bit was rolly and I was going between 20 - 27 when I became aware of a car behind me. He was hanging pretty far back, and there was simply no place to pass. Finally a straight block long length of road, and he started to pass me, but I saw a car coming from the other direction which he could not see, so I put up a hand to stop him. He stopped. Finally another straightway and he passed. As he got by me, he gave a friendly horn toot. Older guy. Nice.

2. I hit an intersection and needed to turn left. Only way to trip the signal was to climb up the curb and push the ped button. So I did that, and of course it immediately turned and I still had to get clipped in and going. A car facing me was going to turn left, and between my trying to get rolling and my bad arm I wasn't able to immediately signal left turn so she could go. She gestured to her right with with her thumb and I nodded and finally got a hand up to signal and she turned left. She waited til she knew what I was going to do before she went. 99% of cyclists would turn left at that intersection, but she did not assume.

3. And a special thank you to the Tiburon Town Police Dept who did not stop me for my pause and roll through the vacant stop sign in the center of town. I think for sure I can chalk that one up to the Amici Veloci kit. :D

3 pretty nice drivers in only a 20 something mile ride. What a good day! :)

kelownagirl
04-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Well I can honestly say that over 95% of the drivers I come near are very cautious and courteous. I really don't worry too much about the cars coming up behind me, even when I am crossing a narrow bridge. I make eye contact and they are rarely too impatient as to put me in danger. I appreciate all the good drivers out there! (Now the other 5%... :eek:)

Starfish
04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
This is a great bit of positive! Thank you for posting.

OakLeaf
04-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Yes, good point. I almost posted the other day. I was at a stoplight when an electrician's van pulled up next to me. I was intending to go straight, but I hadn't claimed the lane because there's a very broad shoulder at that intersection, and hardly anyone turns right there.

It turns out the van did want to turn right, and I hadn't seen his turn signal because of the lane positioning. What I did see - in his side mirror - was the driver looking carefully at me and letting me go once the light turned green. I was so impressed! I wish I'd paid more attention to what company it was so I could give them proper kudos and/or future business.

maillotpois
04-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Nice one, Oakleaf.

mimitabby
04-09-2008, 06:40 AM
On my daily commute, i share the road with hundreds of vehicles. Usually ALL of them share the road with me. A few signal their impatience by gunning their engines as they get around me, but even these folks are giving me enough space.

Yesterday I had to go 2 blocks in a semi-paved area (they are doing 1 lane at a time and they have only the substreet down so far) and I know the cars behind me got a great view of me bouncing up and down on the really rough surface. They gave me lots of room.

thanks for starting this thread.

SalsaMTB
04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I was just about to post a good driver post...so I'll add to yours!

On my commute home from work yesterday, a city work truck pulled out and turned into my lane, just to be stopped by a red light. We were going through a small downtown area so the speed limit was 25 but with 4 lanes of traffic. Anyway, I was behind him at the light and he waved me forward. I thought it was a bit odd since once the light turned green he would surely pass, but I did as he requested (bike lanes, shoulders don't exist here). Well, the light turned green and to my surprise, he didn't pass. He followed behind me (I was going about 20, had a nice wind at my back) for about 2 miles, even after I turned and the speed limit increased to 35. Eventually he had to turn off, but is was soooo nice having someone behind me for a bit to keep the cars off (I live/work in metro Detroit....aka motor city....and the cars really are not friendly). The guy definitely made my commute enjoyable.

jobob
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Back when I was an instructor in my clubs' Road Skills course, one of my students commented that I was the friendliest biker he ever saw, because I always wave at drivers at intersections.

I explained to him that I wasn't doing it to be friendly, I was doing it to make sure I had their attention.

But over time, I realized that I like to have that little bit of contact with the drivers around me - to acknowledge their co-existence with me on the road, to give them a little "Thank you for not killing me" wave as I pass by them at an intersection or when they give me the right-of-way.

And I think other drivers appreciate it too. :cool:

redrhodie
04-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Today, there was a lady in a mini van stopped at a stop sign, trying to turn out onto the road I was riding on. In my shadow, I looked like George Hincapie (all long and tall, which I am not), which made me think, hmmmm...the sun's right behind me, this woman probably can't see me because of the glare. Also, I can see her face, and part of her car is blocking her eyes, so now I'm sure I'm aso in her blind spot.

She starts forward, which means if she keeps going, I'm getting broadsided. I do my trick of yelling LOUD (not sure what comes out, some kind of "woah"), and she tilts her head back so she can now see me, smiles, and gives me a wave. So nice. I think she was glad she didn't squish me :)

Geonz
04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Bet she is, too.

I get drivers every day who *could* have right-hooked me but hang back. (I do think lane position has a **LOT** to do with this, but I'm not going to hug the line and find out!)

Trigress
05-12-2008, 06:14 AM
I've just posted a bad driver thread, so I'll add something here, too. On the same trip yesterday there was a lady who blew her horn as a thanks because I waved her past us when she couldn't see. I think we always get a friendly wave or honk every time it's very clear to the driver that we are trying to help. On Thursday we were out riding and a car was waiting behind us to pass. He couldn't see much, but due to the long peloton we saw that everything was clear, so we waved him past us - the front rider clearly sprinted forwards to check the road and then waved back. We got a friendly honk back.

Most drivers are really nice, but the rest of them are so dangerous - I sometimes get most of the cardiac training from being freaked out by mad drivers! :p