PDA

View Full Version : London Calling!

Velobambina
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Mid Atlantic Folks---we need to send up some collective, strong Karma to get this horrible "Marine Low" off of us. I'm so sick of this Frankenstein weather... Where the heck is spring?

For some perspective, though, last year, the low was 29 degrees on this date. So maybe London weather--cold damp foggy--is an improvement?

Kalidurga
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
No, it's not an improvement, it's just as bad.

I spent all last week watching the weather reports for Sunday and getting more and more excited, looking forward to the first good riding day I'd have since Thanksgiving. Then I sat at my desk at work on Saturday and looked at the gorgeous blue sky and a weather report that gradually changed to call for rain on Sunday.

I was so depressed on Sunday, I actually almost cried (though there were other factors in addition to the weather that contributed to that). If the weather's going to suck, could the forecasts at least not tease us in that way?

Possegal
04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm in desperate need of sunny and warm. :) I fear we will go from this right to 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity!

My niece ran the cherry blossom 10 miler on sunday and I was there as her moral support. It took me all day to feel warm again. What a crappy day!

7rider
04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Mid Atlantic Folks---we need to send up some collective, strong Karma to get this horrible "Marine Low" off of us. I'm so sick of this Frankenstein weather... Where the heck is spring?

For some perspective, though, last year, the low was 29 degrees on this date. So maybe London weather--cold damp foggy--is an improvement?

Meh...At least it's not snow, right?? ;)
I caught a blurb on WTOP's weather that sunday (April 6th) was the latest the D.C. area had ever gotten measurable snow (something like 4 inches in the late 1800's, I think). My front yard is positively glowing yellow with daffodils (I wish I could say the same for my sorry forsythia), and the lilacs are filling out. They are gonna be awesome in another few weeks.
Yes ladies...glass half full!!!! C'mon...smile with me now....it's all good! :D And yeah...you'll hear me b****ing when it is 90/90 in June. Blech.

madscot13
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
um I'm from Minnesota. Friday calls for snow!

Zen
04-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Friday calls for snow!
I do hope you mean in Minnesota :eek:

This is a typical DC spring, but i've never heard of a marine low :confused:

madscot13
04-08-2008, 08:01 PM
you never know in DC!:eek:

Velobambina
04-09-2008, 01:56 AM
It really isn't a typical DC spring. It's usually much warmer---consistently--by now. I've lived in DC for more than 20 years.

Regina--I agree. At least it isn't snow or ice. I'd take a slow-coming spring after a snow-free winter over the alternative. My magnolia trees were magnificent this year. They just now are dropping their blossoms.

Speaking of blossoms, my "beater" bike is covered with blossom debris from riding in the rain. The MUC was covered in pear blossom petals!!

F8th637
04-09-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm over this cool, grey, wet weather too! Bring on sunshine and temps in the 70s already!

Zen
04-09-2008, 06:32 AM
It really isn't a typical DC spring. It's usually much warmer---consistently--by now. I've lived in DC for more than 20 years.

I've lived here most of my life and can't remember back that far :o but I do recall even a chilly Memorial Day.
I especially remember last year because I had just gotten my bike and wasn't getting very many miles in because of all the rain.

Kalidurga
04-09-2008, 06:58 AM
By this time last year, this weather weenie had logged three rides at bikejournal.com (no snickering from you commuters, racers, or triathletes). I did note that the weather was overcast on one of the rides, but I also remember that the first ride I did in March was gloriously beautiful.

I've lived in the DC area my entire life (over 43 years) and I never paid much attention to what the weather was like from year to year, until I went and got "serious" about cycling. I've always had issues with overcast days (S.A.D., perhaps?), but it's gotten to the point that waiting through February, March, and now April, for a non-windy, non-rainy, over 50 degree day so I can go out and ride just kills me.

Go ahead and call me a weenie, Zen.

7rider
04-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Well, I've been in the DC area only 5 years and I recall that last spring was also cool, wet, and dismal. But I'm from New England, where b****ing about the weather is a favorite pasttime (and practically the official sport!). I recall getting about 5 inches of snow one Mother's Day! :eek: That may have been the same year I drove home for Thanksgiving during a raging snowstorm and Hartford was practically impassable (I think all the snowplow drivers were home watching football!).
Yeah...Cool, rainy and 50's is getting old. The problem is...the sunny and 70's are so brief, that soon we'll be into Code Red and 90% humidity, 90 degree days, and air so thick you need a spoon to breathe!.

Kalidurga
04-09-2008, 08:46 AM
The problem is...the sunny and 70's are so brief, that soon we'll be into Code Red and 90% humidity, 90 degree days, and air so thick you need a spoon to breathe!.

Are you kidding? I love those 90/90 days! I've been having wistful flashbacks to a few particular C&O Canal rides that left me a dusty, sweaty mess. I'd give anything for one of those days right now.

7rider
04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Are you kidding? I love those 90/90 days! I've been having wistful flashbacks to a few particular C&O Canal rides that left me a dusty, sweaty mess. I'd give anything for one of those days right now.

Well...there's the difference b/t D.C. born and raised and New England born and raised!! :p

Zen
04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Go ahead and call me a weenie, Zen.

I'm in that weather weenie boat too.

I like to sweat.

Zen
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Everybody happy now?

Kalidurga
04-10-2008, 08:20 AM
No, because I'm stuck at a desk staring through the window at this beautiful, bike-able weather. And, I have a three-day weekend ahead of me that's going to be in the 50's, cloudy, and possibly rainy. Suuuuuuucks!!

In case it wasn't apparent, this weather's making me very grumpy and whiny. My apologies for being such a drag :rolleyes:

Zen
04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Eh, don't feel so bad. I have to show my house to two realtors today, then do a walk-thru for a fix up list on my mom's house.
I might get a few miles in.

F8th637
04-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm happy! I picked up the pink bike rack today and am going to ride home from work. W00t! Can we keep the weather, Zen, can we, can we?!

Kalidurga
04-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah, Zen, if you've got the appropriate influence, let us keep today's weather through Monday, ok??

So you're moving, huh? Did you find something down in Fredneck or are you moving into Mom's place? Good luck on selling.

Zen
04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Re: Weather

Sorry folks, today was just a fluke. I don't know how this happened:o

madscot13
04-10-2008, 06:24 PM
London morning= sunny afternoons?