PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound & X-ray: Feeling Kind of Frustrated

Veronica
04-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I went in for the ultrasound and x - ray on my knee today. They both came back normal.

I can go for physical therapy, but I want to know what is causing the knee pain, not just treat the symptoms.

I do have my bike fitting on Thursday and maybe that will fix it.

V.

Starfish
04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
V, sorry, that sucks. It is hard when you don't know exactly what's up. Many years ago (before they had every bell and whistle), I had an inconclusive artherogram (sp?) done on my knee. At that time, they said they would hve to do artheroscopic surgery to learn more. I didn't want to, and I never got a clear diagnosis. Guess I'm just trying to empathize. So sorry you are having this. :(

Veronica
04-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I suppose I should be glad that they came back normal. I guess that would mean there's nothing permanently damaged.

I also had my mammogram. I think I shocked the technician because she just kept smooshing away and asking if I was okay and I kept saying yes. It was not as painful as I had expected, more uncomfortable than painful is how I would describe it.

V.

crazycanuck
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
V-Sorry to hear the tests didn't give you the info you want. (i had an x-ray on my knee @ the hospital & it didn't show anything..It wasn't until the MRI that i knew what was up)

I bet you'll be seeing a good physio anyways & they might just be able to give you the answer you seek. Ensure you do all the exercises they give you and it'll get you on the road to a happy 300k ride.

btw...are you thinking of experiencing the Tri world...A lady from SF came over to do the Rottnest Swim this year & she runs open water swim sessions in SF..i'll post the link when i get home tonight.

C

Blueberry
04-07-2008, 06:18 PM
V - That sucks that they weren't able to tell you something. It's good news that it's not damaged, but you also know it's not "right" for you, which is frustrating. Is there a possibility of doing a CT/MRI on it? Might tell you more. Otherwise, see what the PT's have to say, and ask for more testing if they can't give you answers.

CA

Wahine
04-07-2008, 08:28 PM
V - if the x-rays and ultrasound came back negative, that is a good thing, it means they've ruled out structural damage to a certain extent. But that's all those tests can diagnose. They can't diagnose muscle imbalances causing excessive pressure on one side of the knee cap and excessive pull on the other. This is a very painful condition but it is functional in nature and can't be diagnosed with imaging. Go to the PT and try to find a good sports PT if you can. They should be able to evaluate your function and determine the cause/diagnose where your pain is coming from as well as treat it. The most common thing I see is tight hips leading to excessive forces at the knee that leads to pain. Usually there is some muscle weakness as well. This is what a muscle imbalance entails.

If you want more information or would like to ask some specific questions, please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to try to help.

rocknrollgirl
04-08-2008, 01:54 AM
V,
I am really sorry you are going through this. This is what had me sidelined this winter. PM me any time if you want to chat or vent. The good news is, nothing is torn and it is fixable....

Veronica
04-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks guys, I'll keep working the problem. :)

V.

crazycanuck
04-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Ok..from left field..here's the link as promised V

http://swim-art.com/index.htm

Di bear
04-09-2008, 04:13 AM
V - if the x-rays and ultrasound came back negative, that is a good thing, it means they've ruled out structural damage to a certain extent. But that's all those tests can diagnose. They can't diagnose muscle imbalances causing excessive pressure on one side of the knee cap and excessive pull on the other. This is a very painful condition but it is functional in nature and can't be diagnosed with imaging. Go to the PT and try to find a good sports PT if you can. They should be able to evaluate your function and determine the cause/diagnose where your pain is coming from as well as treat it. The most common thing I see is tight hips leading to excessive forces at the knee that leads to pain. Usually there is some muscle weakness as well. This is what a muscle imbalance entails.

If you want more information or would like to ask some specific questions, please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to try to help.

I can't second this enough!!!!!!!!!!

This is the problem I have, and yoga has helped tremendously. You really need to find a routine that works for you that increases flexibility from your lower back to your knees. Try it and you may find that it helps tremendously.

The absolute LAST thing you want is a doctor nosing around (surgically or with pharmaceutically) when there is nothing wrong with your knee. In the end, that will only make matters worse. Repairs are only for those who have serious problems to begin with.

TahoeDirtGirl
05-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I had to get knee surgery because well, they had to get the bone fragments out. But I know how frustrating it is when nothing shows up. I'm going through the same thing with my foot. Thanks for the reminder about tight hip muscles, I know mine are tight yet I totally ignore them and usually wind up dismounting to stretch 20 minutes into the ride. Do you know any good stretches? The one that works for me is where you tilt your pelvis during a lunge. It's the only one that seems to help. But I'm sure tight hip muscles have nothing to do with the foot, especially when I crammed it into a rock. Ouch.