PDA

View Full Version : Help! Which saddle should I get?

Twice Daily
03-07-2005, 10:39 AM
I just bought a new/different bike and I need a women's saddle...I've always ridden on a men's saddle and I don't know which saddle to get...

Here's my riding profile:

I ride a cross bike and I commute to work 3-4 days a week (during the warmer months), about 27 miles round trip...
I go on weekend road rides, 20-40 miles per ride...
And in the fall, I'll be doing a local cyclocross series (women's B division)...

I'm also a tall girl, built strong...5'8" 150lbs...

My budget is around 100 dollars...

Oh, and one more thing, my boyfriend and I ride the same size bike, so he'll use my bike as a back up during his cross races, so I have to go with something that at least looks gender neutral...

Any suggestions? There are a lot of saddles to choose from...

SadieKate
03-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Have you ever tried a WTB saddle? I love the Laser V Stealth (http://www.wtb.com/products/saddle_laserv.html) on my mtb bikes. The SpeedShe's are nice for road riding, but I don't find them long enough for moving around a lot as you do when you're off road. WTB's have a dropped nose so you don't spear your shorts when mounting. You can find them on sale well under $100. I loaned a bike to a friend who sells bikes and made a convert of her. She's now pushing these on her female customers who have also reported success.

Twice Daily
03-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I have always ridden on a WTB..guess that's why I've never been too concerned with switching to a girl-specific...

Hell, if it ain't broke...

pedalfaster
03-07-2005, 01:48 PM
I have always ridden on a WTB..guess that's why I've never been too concerned with switching to a girl-specific...

Hell, if it ain't broke...

I was kind of wondering...I mean just because you are female doesn't mean you neeeeeed a women-specific saddle. Marketing hacks!!! grrrrrr.

:D

CorsairMac
03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I was kind of wondering...I mean just because you are female doesn't mean you neeeeeed a women-specific saddle. Marketing hacks!!! grrrrrr.

:D
No ma'am. They didn't have women-specific saddles when I first started riding so I've never ridden on one. When I bought my commuter bike I could not Wait to get the comfy/cushy saddle off and the replacement? A mens very narrow, racing saddle and yeah...that was that ticket alright. I guess I could Look at a womans saddle but like she said: if it ain't broke............

Adventure Girl
03-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh, and one more thing, my boyfriend and I ride the same size bike, so he'll use my bike as a back up during his cross races, so I have to go with something that at least looks gender neutral...

Any suggestions?Does your boyfriend's bike use the same size seat post as your bike? If so, can't he just switch them and use his own saddle if he rides your bike?

cruziegirl
03-07-2005, 08:16 PM
After being tortured by truly crap saddles I finally found the Terry women's saddles. The one I have been riding for the past 2 years is the Butterfly Ti and I love it. They make men's saddles too. I'm thinking that because of the (*ahem*) physical differences between men and women it will be difficult to find a saddle that will work for you both. But they don't have flowers all over them, if that's what he's worried about :p . Seriously, check out the Butterfly Ti by Terry. They have a hole where the important bits go, it isn't squishy in the least, and this particular saddle has a textured surface so that you aren't slipping and sliding all over. I've been riding Terry saddles for close to 10 years now and I simply won't use anyone else's.

emily_in_nc
03-08-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm with Cruziegirl! I have Butterfly ti saddles on my three road bikes and wouldn't change. They also seem to be the most popular saddles among women in my bike club. My husband and a lot of the guys like the mens' Terry Fly ti, so if you want a unisex saddle, that might work, since I know some women like a narrower saddle than the Butterfly.

Emily