PDA

View Full Version : April 9 – The Dam Corners and Valleys Road Loop

SadieKate
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
For those of you not doing the Tierra Bella, come join us for a ride up to Lake Berryessa.

Start: Lake Solano Park (west of Winters)
Time: 9 am, ready to ride as soon after as possible
Length: about 55 miles
Climbing: The book says about 2,300 feet but based on our experience yesterday it's probably more in the 3-4K range.

I’ve never done this classic ride because I never think of it until boating season has arrived. Trust me, you don’t want to be climbing up the canyon once boating/RV season starts. Portions of this course are or were part of the Foxy Fall Century.

We’ll climb up the canyon alongside Putah Creek, over the Monticello Dam and Cardiac Hill. We’ll head to Moskowite Corner, to Wooden Valley, to Gordon Valley, Mankas Corner and Fairfield. We’ll turn north and have a nice smooth ride all the way north back to Lake Solano Park.

PM or email me for more details or about carpooling from Davis.

SadieKate
03-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Has anyone ridden this loop recently? More specifically, the Moskovite Crnr to Pleasants Valley section? Nancy, have you?

Lon drove it Sunday and was concerned about fluid/food stops. I know our local riders do it all the time so there must be places but you may have to know to go off the path a block or so. I'll stop at all our various LBS and ask also. You know you live in a bike town when 3 LBS are within a block of each other and a 4th is only a couple blocks away.

Anyway, thanks for any input.

Additionally, until we know who decides to come and what the weather is doing we'll stay a bit loose on the exact time.

Bike Goddess
03-09-2005, 08:05 PM
No, Sadie Kate, I haven't! I took Lon through Gordon Valley- he loved it(of course!). I also don't know of any places to eat on that route. Foxy Fall goes that way, but I've not done that either! Wish I could come, BUT, its a Saturday!!! :( :(

I'll ask some of the guys in my club next Tuesday about this route. They are the experts on food stops!

yellow
03-26-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm bumping this so SK doesn't have to.

It's on my calendar. I'm also hoping Brian and my friend Cara will come.

Who will be accepting this challenge?

SadieKate
03-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Wicked cool! Bubba and I will be driving the route tomorrow to seek food/water stops between Moskowite Corners and Winters.

aka_kim
03-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a good course, and challenge, but I'm doing the Tierra Bella.

jobob
03-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Kim -

Are you going to do the 100 mile, or perhaps the 200K?

Lee & I found out our saftey post assignment, we'll be at the corner of Uvas Rd. & Watsonville Rd. between 12 noon and 4 pm. At the moment we know for sure the 200K riders will be passing thru at that time and *I think* the 100 milers will too (but I'm not positive about that).

Alas, we're not going to see the 60K or 100K riders go by our post. :(

aka_kim
03-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Are you going to do the 100 mile, or perhaps the 200K?Oh, I wish I were up for 100 miles or more, but no, I'll be doing the 100k. But I'm slow, so you never know, might just need some safety guidance from you two. :)

SadieKate
04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
The few people who weren't doing the Tierra Bella all agreed tomorrow morning didn't look very inviting. So, we rescheduled to Sunday, same time and place.

If you're planning to carpool from my house, we'll be leaving at 8:30 AM. Maybe a few more of you can come.

Veronica
04-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Bummer we have people coming to look at the upright on Sunday morning. Maybe they'll cancel... But it's hard having TWO pianos in my living room.

V.

SadieKate
04-08-2005, 08:04 PM
But it's hard having TWO pianos in my living room.
But perfect for duets. I imagine it's too hard to ask them to come Sunday evening?

Veronica
04-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Yeah, I'd feel a little awkward asking them to change the time now. We'll mountain bike Black Diamonds in the afternoon.

V.

aka_kim
04-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Tomorrow looks like a perfect day for a ride... but I'm going to the Giants game (boo hoo).

SadieKate
04-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Tomorrow looks like a perfect day for a ride... but I'm going to the Giants game (boo hoo).
Baseball before biking? You have to be kidding! Just joking, kinda, maybe . . . not to offend anyone, but sounds like a good nap to me. :D

Veronica
04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
It was gorgeous in SF today! I spent the day digging out pitch and oakum from the poop deck and putting in new oakum and pitch.

V.

SadieKate
04-09-2005, 06:07 PM
It was gorgeous in SF today! I spent the day digging out pitch and oakum from the poop deck and putting in new oakum and pitch.

V.Did you use the poop shield bottle? Hee-hee-hee.

aka_kim
04-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Poop? Pitch? Oakum? Sounds like one of those radio quizzes - "in what profession will you find the following terms?". I hope you were talking about boats (or are they called ships, or yachts, or water vessels?) If not, I don't want to hear any more.

Baseball over biking? Never! I agreed to go to this game a few weeks ago, and now looking at tomorrow's weather report do kinda regret it. I'll just have to drink beer and eat garlic fries all afternoon.

SadieKate
04-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Mmmm, garlic. The BubbaMeister is making me shrimp fettucine in a garlic-white wine sauce with aspergrass. I'm drooling.

Veronica
04-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Yep - talking boats. :D

V.

SadieKate
04-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Yellow (the HillMeister) drove down from Placerville and Nancy up from Benecia, then our friend Sue join us (trying to convert her to the TE forum). I think everyone had a good time. The temp was perfect, lots of flowers, not a huge amount of traffic, lots of turkeys and even a peacock. The Vespa Thugs made a late appearance.

After all these years of hearing everyone talk about climbing over the Dam and Cardiac Hill, I gotta say that either those folks either are intimidated by hills or they're not on V's and Yellow's hill training program. My book shows the Dam has about a half mile at an avg of 5.9%. Yes, you have to work but it's very short! Then Cardiac . . . well it's not easy but it's not horrible either. Just under 2 miles at an avg of 6.3%. Very doable if you just settle back and use headology. The challenge with it was just length. Since the day was getting warmer, you'd think "I really need to get rid of these armers, but the hill will be done in just a bit." Then, you'd have that thought again and again and again until the hill topped out here in the picture.

Left to right, Sue, Nancy, Sue (Yellow) and Bubba.

We then kept our armers on and headed for a lot of zippy rollers and fast downhill runs, a stop for smoothies and one last run north throught the aptly named "Pleasants Valley." I feel really good about how well I'm climbing the hills and can put another notch on my belt, even if it is a bit smaller than the Diablo notch. :D Sorry, some of you couldn't join us.

HillSlug, I kept an eye out for your group but saw nary a Team-In-Training Jersey.

snapdragen
04-10-2005, 04:35 PM
sadie-is that the Cardiac Hill in Foxy's Fall Century?

Ohh! another ride we could plan for - it's in October :)

SadieKate
04-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Yes'm, but it is only on the 100 mile route (or at least used to be). It wasn't bad at all . . . just long. I did it easily in a 30x26 gear and I don't have the hills you Bay Area girls have on which to train.

SadieKate
04-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Ohh! another ride we could plan for - it's in October :)I would be more than happy to host a ride up here following the 100k route if we don't have a SAG. I would recommend we do it at a prettier time of year with less iffy wind conditions. The Foxy Fall is always fun, but it isn't the prettiest time of year here. There are ton of flat, flat miles where that wind can drill right into you. We could do this route again -- 55 really nice miles with the only two "big" hills in the 1st 10 miles. We'd just want to do it before/after boating season.

For those coming from way far away, I could even put up a few of you - 1 hideabed, 1 squishy sofa, and lots of floor space with thermarests.

Editing this to say that the route we did today was the really pretty part of the Foxy Fall. The remaining 45 are just the flat stuff between Davis and Winters. The part that is windy, not so scenic and just burns energy before the hills.

CorsairMac
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
The part that is windy, not so scenic and just burns energy before the hills.

or culls the herd maybe? :p

Hill Slug
04-10-2005, 08:45 PM
HillSlug, I kept an eye out for your group but saw nary a Team-In-Training Jersey.

Did you go out on Saturday or Sunday?? We were out there on Saturday morning. From Davis to Winters then to Cantaloew Road from Lake Solano. There were mainly rollers till a very steep short Cantelew climb. Not sure of the grade, but as I am a slug, it was steep. I got up most of it, but did have to walk part if it too.....The rest was pretty much down hill through Pleasants Valley Road then to Allendale, then the flat AND windy Putah Creek back to Davis for 55 miles... One of the other mentors and I were riding with an asthmatic rider, who couldn't accelerate much without coughing, and we did have to stop a few times so she could use here inhaler.....Unfortunately at about mile 3, she was following the other mentor too closely and fell...Then I tried to react and get out of the way, but on a busy road, the only place I could go was down..The knee was bloodied up pretty good, through tights, but nothing ibuprofen, ice, elevation, and pizza & beer wouldn't cure. It's very sore today, but oh well...It was a beautiful day otherwise!!!! :D

SadieKate
04-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Hillslug, that's right we changed to Sunday. I'm sorry about your fall. Hope it doesn't set back your training. I'm confused about your route. Pleasants Valley Rd is on the west so you probably rode south on it (uphill), left on Cantelow and did the wicked steep side, with a long downhill run on Cantelow to Allendale which is on the east side of the ridge. You truly did ride the nasty side of Cantelow so good for you making it as far as you did. The insides of those switchbacks make the last tidbit of Diablo look almost tame. Then, back to Davis . . . you can vouch for me when I say it is flat, flat, flat and windy between Winters and Davis!

Once I get my Polar set up, I'll have to do the elevation profile of Cantelow but I'll probably do it from the other side :). We'll still get a reading of the grade.

Hope to catch you on another ride.

Bike Goddess
04-11-2005, 11:00 AM
I can also put people up at my place in Benicia :D

RE Cardiac Hill- its a bit tough if you aren't warmed up (I wasn't and I didn't know it was CH so I kept a lower profile as SK and Y wizzed past me- Almost caught SK, but Y was far and away the STAR :D )

Next time, we shall see!