PDA

View Full Version : planning weekend in Moab

DrBadger
04-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Hello ladies!
I have to be in the Moab area for work the week of May 10-15 (I know, life is rough :) ), so I am thinking about staying for the weekend. I would really like to try a bit of mountain biking. I am a roadie right now, but did some downhill easy mountain biking in Peru this fall and loved it, so want to try a bit more before buying a bike. There appear to be some pretty decent day tours in Moab... any reccommendations? I am leaning right now towards some of the ones being done by Moab Cyclery: http://www.moabcyclery.com/moab_day_tours.htm#full

What do you think? I will basically have all day Friday May 16th and Sat. May 17 and part of the day on the 18th before having to be back in Grand Junction for my flight. I was thinking of biking for 1-1.5 days and then doing some hiking/sight seeing for the rest of the time.

Would love any input from those of you who are in the area or who have been.

Thanks!
Ellen

Veronica
04-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Go to Arches National Park. You can road ride through or drive, but either way it's gorgeous.

http://tandemhearts.com/coppermine/albums/arches-np/balanced-rock.jpg

http://tandemhearts.com/coppermine/albums/arches-np/delicate-arch-w-mtns.jpg

You probably won't have snow. These are from when we were there at Christmas.

We have done a tour with Escape Adventures, which I think is the same company. Nice folks. Be sure to tell them you are new to mountain biking. :) You don't want to end up on some really gnarly trail.

V.

Running Mommy
04-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm what I consider a rank beginner and I LOVED Klondike bluffs and the Soveriegn trail. I had to walk a bit of Sov, but it was worth it. Beware of some of the tour groups "newbie" rides. They are a bit too newbie IMO.
Have fun! I LOVE it there!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

MaxPower
04-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi.

I went on a mountain biking trip to Moab a year and a half ago. We went through www.rimtours.com. they have different rides and tours available. i would recommend their "sunrise" tour, i had the most fun on that one. they drive you up into the la sal mountains for breakfast to watch the sun rise and then it is a downhill ride back into Moab, on dirt/pavement. it was so much fun. i want to go back again. Have fun!

Lisa

DrBadger
04-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the input V and RM!

The day trips I was looking at were a half day that does Klondike Bluffs (12 miles out and back) and a day trip along the White Rim (18 mile decent from Schaefer Switchbacks to Colorado River)

Red Rock
04-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Moab!!!

Gosh, I wish I was closer. Only problem is I am about 6 hrs by car, on the West side of Moab. I am just exploring the mountian biking scene myself. I have gone a few rides locally. I can't be of much help on where to go. Definatley the bike shop should be of some help.

Enjoy the Navaho sandstone, sunshine and great views. If you have a Camelback mule, blowfish or some equivalent, I would bring it just in case. Your in the desert and will need water and electrolytes. I'm sure you know this. Forgive me if I am repeating myself.

Enjoy and have fun.

Ellen

runner2
04-05-2008, 06:55 PM
If you only have a few days, go hiking first, you gonna love what you see.
Don't miss The Fisher Tower.
If you going to drive from Grand Junction to Moab, you will know what I mean.
Good thing needs to take time to enjoy.
If you going to do some riding, do mt. biking.
Have a great time.

DrBadger
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
ohhhh... I am getting excited! I am actually going to be spending 3 days based in Moab during the week for the field course I am going on, so will have had a chance to see a lot before I even go back for my mini-vacation. I want to have an idea of places to hike/see, but don't want to make any plans as I don't know where the course is taking us yet.

Ellen, if you decide closer that you just have to have a weekend in Moab, let me know. Would always love some company! And then we could be geo-Ellen's squared!

Thanks again for all the input!
DrBadger (aka Ellen)