PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Charity Ride

marni
04-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Doing The Miles For Charity-Through Long Distance Road Biking

From May 9 through June 16, I will be riding with a group of 30 women to raise money for various charities. We will be riding from Mobile, AL to Niagara, Ontario, a distance of 1825 miles along the historic Underground Railroad Route. The route and support are organized by Woman Tours who donate a portion of our fee to breast cancer. Individuals also ride for charities they support including Habitat for Humanity, Breast Cancer, Disabled Veterans and probably others that I don’t know about yet.

I am doing this to celebrate my 60th birthday. Instead of presents, I want to give a gift to Heifer International. Heifer International is an organization which fosters care for the earth by helping to create agricultural micro ecologies by giving plants, trees, and animals suitable to impoverished communities all over the world. When animals are provided, Heifer also teaches animal husbandry, processing the product and creating a marketable item. The animals add valuable protein and milk to the impoverished diets as well as fiber for clothing. The offspring of donated animals are passed on to others in the community to further enrich the community.

As a spinner, a weaver of traditional Navajo style tapestries, (when I am not riding), I have a deep appreciation for the resources fiber animals and their fiber can offer to those who raise and care for them, as well as those who benefit from their product.

Fiber has enriched every aspect of my life and so, now, I want to give something back to help others receive the benefits of fiber resources.

I hoping to raise at least $1.00 per mile for the entire ride for Heifer International, hence my goal of $1825.00

I have a secure web page through Heifer International. Go to http://heifer.org then give then Team Heifer, then select event and type in Marni Harang.

I am currently blogging my training and in addition I will be blogging the ride itself at:
www.cloggiespinner.blogspot.com

Thank you for supporting me and Heifer International. Your contribution and support, both moral and monetary, is greatly appreciated.

Marni Harang-
“Hippie Biker Chick”
Sugar Land, Texas