PDA

View Full Version : Sat. 2/5 Ride Like a Girl

Zen
04-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I wonder if I can tempt you guys to lunch at The Barbara Fritchie Restaurant (http://wamu.org/programs/mc/features/crummy/a_sweet_alternative.php)
The pie is to die for and the light fixtures are works of art.

I think I just talked myself into it.

divingbiker
04-03-2008, 01:31 AM
I wonder if I can tempt you guys to lunch at The Barbara Fritchie Restaurant (http://wamu.org/programs/mc/features/crummy/a_sweet_alternative.php)
The pie is to die for and the light fixtures are works of art.

I think I just talked myself into it.

I assume you mean 4/5, not 2/5???:D

That would be fine with me, if you think they have anything vegan I can eat. I didn't see a location mentioned...is it somewhere near where we'll be riding?

Kalidurga
04-03-2008, 03:11 AM
I think I'd be surprised if Barb Fritchie's has anything vegan on it's menu. It's down-home, country-style cookin'. Lard everywhere ;)

7rider
04-03-2008, 03:15 AM
Hmmm. Looks like the sort of place an old co-worker of mine would have driven 30 miles out of his way to get to! Where the average age of the waitresses is 58, and they wear plaid aprons and call you "hon."
It says it's on route 40 on the western edge of Frederick.
It doesn't appear to break my cardinal rule of restaurants - always avoid places with purposeful misspellings to be cute - for instance, "Kathy's Kozy Kitchen" or some such. (I leave the misspellings to my posts here!) I'd be up for it. DB may be eating a salad, begging the cheese to be left off, however. This looks like a meat and potatoes kind of place.
Rain may dampen the festivities, however. I'll be checking the MORE forum (http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10933)to see if there are any updates. Julie said she'd post go/no-go that a.m.

Zen
04-03-2008, 06:28 AM
There's always pie :)

(is it April already?)

You'll pass it right before you get to Gambrill.

Here's the route, it looks great. Low/no traffic.Sure hope it don't rain.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Catoctin-Ridge-Gravel-and-Pavement-option-2

Kalidurga
04-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Ya wanna make Janice happy, take her to The Orchard on Market St.

Zen
04-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Why?
Do they serve wine? ;)
I wanna make me happy and that means pie. ;) ;)

7rider
04-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I think a dry Saturday would make me happy. And it looks like I may not be happy come Saturday... :(

divingbiker
04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look like the Saturday ride will be happening. 90% chance of rain.

And I've decided to use my commuting bike for this ride, which I abandoned at the office this afternoon, and which I may abandon tomorrow afternoon, too, if it's raining hard. I guess I could drive in tomorrow night to pick it up, if it looks like the rain will stop.

Sorry, just thinking as I type here. I'm not optimistic.

IFjane
04-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I think a dry Saturday would make me happy.(

What kind of wine is that??? ;)

I'll take the pie.....

Zen
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Rats.
I got a new fender, too :(

Zen
04-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, we can reschedule. Maybe Miss Tam will be well enough by then. It's a gorgeous ride and we can eat where ever you want (That Cuban Place?!)
I can get pie anytime.

7rider
04-04-2008, 02:47 AM
What kind of wine is that??? ;)

It's like a dry Chardonnay...only different! :cool:
Actually....more like a "whine".

7rider
04-04-2008, 11:50 AM
I checked with Julie, the ride leader, about whether or not this ride is still going off.

She said:
"I'm still holding out hope that the ride will happen tomorrow. According to the weather report, it looks like the rain will be ending tomorrow morning. So, althought the roads might be a little wet, we should be okay to go!
"If you have them, put fenders on your bike! "

So....check this space or the MORE forum in the a.m. for the final word.
I don't have fenders...but can put a grunge guard on the downtube to protect my waterbottles. Otherise...I'd just get muddy. DB....you still in if the ride goes off ?

Weather.com had 30% chance of "few showers" for Frederick at 10 a.m. tomorrow (looking at the hour-by-hour). So, yeah...maybe it'll be drippy, with wet roads...but maybe not actively raining.

Zen
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
WOOHOO!

I have a grunge guard and just bought a rear fender last night!
guess I'd better go put that on :o

divingbiker
04-04-2008, 01:12 PM
If the ride goes, I'll be there.

7rider
04-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I think we're a go.
I haven't heard "no."
Zen....can you print out the cue sheet of that ride b/f you leave (in case it's just the 3 of us)?
I need to shut down the laptop and can't access the printer.
Thanks.

7rider
04-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Hey, Zen.
Thanks for coming out..even tho' you didn't ride. That was really sweet of you and I'm glad I got to meet you...however briefly. By about mile 15, I was having visions of Donettes.

The ride was really nice - although lots of climbing! :eek: My Garmin registered a couple of 14 and 16% grades. 2,000 feet over 19.5 miles. Oy. Lots of climbing. I got DH's Big Buzz good and muddy, but the rain held off, and the sun even came out. Was a pretty area, although I can really see where mountainbiking at Gambril State Park would be a challenge. Lots of climbing. Oh, did I already say that??? ;)

Kalidurga
04-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Y'know what's really scary, Regina? The locals ride Gambrill on single speeds :eek::eek::eek:

I love to hike the trails at Gambrill, but I dun' think I could ever ride there.

7rider
04-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Y'know what's really scary, Regina? The locals ride Gambrill on single speeds :eek::eek::eek:

I love to hike the trails at Gambrill, but I dun' think I could ever ride there.

I know. There were plenty of them among the guys who did the dude ride today. AND....AND...one of the women in our group did the ride on a FIXIE!! :eek::eek: She was a machine!

Zen
04-05-2008, 08:59 PM
What a beautiful day it was, I knew I couldn't do that ride and have any energy left to go to work. I still want to try it, I haven't met a hill yet that I couldn't walk up.
How did DB do?
How much water did you carry?
What clothing items were you wearing at the end?
I like to be prepared. I have all next week off.

No one wanted my Do-Nettes :( ;)

divingbiker
04-06-2008, 01:50 AM
What a beautiful day it was, I knew I couldn't do that ride and have any energy left to go to work. I still want to try it, I haven't met a hill yet that I couldn't walk up.
How did DB do?
How much water did you carry?
What clothing items were you wearing at the end?
I like to be prepared. I have all next week off.

No one wanted my Do-Nettes :( ;)

I did fine--I was slow, but didn't walk any of the hills. I did stop midway up one because I felt like I was going to puke and my heart rate was off the charts. It was a very hard ride, especially being the first one of the season (besides commutes).

Clothes were a problem--on the downhills it was cold, but after that first long, steep hill, I was sweating horribly. Regina zipped and unzipped my pit zips for me several times. But at the end I was wearing the same amount of clothes I started with. My toes were so cold and numb at the end I could barely stand up.

I had my 70 oz. camelbak with me, and I drank about half of it. I should have been drinking gatorade.

Fun ride, though, and I'd love to do it again.

That's beautiful country you live in, Zen.

7rider
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Here's the route, uploaded to Bikely.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Gambrill-Gravel-Road-Ride

I'm still working on entering - and correcting - the cue sheet. My p.c. is verrrrry slow! :rolleyes:
Hopefully, I'll have it done by the end of the week, but the route is up and the elevation profile is there if you'd like to take a peek at it.

It's funny...MotionBased seems to add mileage and elevation vs. my Garmin.
My desktop app says it was about 19.1 miles w/ 2200 ft. elevation gain.
MB says it's 20.1 with about 2500 ft. elevation gain.

DB....did your route save on your Garmin? How'd it look?

Oh...and to respond to Zen's questions, too...
I carried 2 24 oz. waterbottles...went through about 1.5. I had diluted Propel in mine.
I wore capris under thin tights, and I think that was plenty. I had one ls jersey and a light jacket...I kind of wish I had another base layer on, but perhaps it was okay...not too hot and just a bit cool to keep my motivated to work harder. And I didn't wear my wool sock or anything, so my toesies were cold....

divingbiker
04-06-2008, 06:06 PM
DB....did your route save on your Garmin? How'd it look?

I saved the route, but I haven't figured out how to look at it again. I didn't turn off the navigating when I turned it off at the end of the ride, so when I turned it on again it added a point at home. I don't know how to get rid of that. I'll have to dig out the manual.

I showed 19.4 miles and 2100 feet of elevation gain. I could very clearly see the three big hills...what were the % grade on them? I'd like to get a sense of what a 10% vs 15% hill feels like.

7rider
04-07-2008, 05:12 AM
I saved the route, but I haven't figured out how to look at it again. I didn't turn off the navigating when I turned it off at the end of the ride, so when I turned it on again it added a point at home. I don't know how to get rid of that. I'll have to dig out the manual.

I showed 19.4 miles and 2100 feet of elevation gain. I could very clearly see the three big hills...what were the % grade on them? I'd like to get a sense of what a 10% vs 15% hill feels like.

If your Garmin is like my Garmin, I don't think you can delete individual data points....which really stinks....b/c you can't correct obvious errors such as this. :mad:

Here's a pdf file (attached...I hope it works) with some printed screenshots from my TrainingCenter (Garmin desktop app). Note the highest elevation point (1925 ft at mile 15, which was on Tower Road). The highest % grade I registered was 16%, which - predictably - was at mile 4.6, which was at the end of Fox Tower (the "wall"). A few sections on that road ranged from 14 to 16%.

divingbiker
04-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Here's a pdf file (attached...I hope it works) with some printed screenshots from my TrainingCenter (Garmin desktop app).

That's really cool. I might have to get an Edge just so I have the % grade info.

Zen
04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Oh dear. I see some walking in my future.