PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for a replacement road tire

Melody
03-03-2005, 09:00 PM
So, while cleaning the bike this evening getting all of the water off, I noticed that the rear tire has a slice taken off from the sidewall. :( I think it'll be ok, but tomorrow, on the ride home, I'm going to pick up a replacement tire.

So, that brings up the question, what's a good 700C x 23 tire? I have Vittoria Zaffiro's on the wheels now. What I'm looking for is low rolling resistance, puncture resistance, but good performance in the rain, since I commute, rain or shine. :) I'd prefer something that'll last a while, but I know that as longevity increases, something has to lessen, usually performance in the wet. :)

I also don't want to sell the truck to afford the tires. ;) So, does anyone have any suggestions?

Mel

pedalfaster
03-04-2005, 04:56 AM
Personally, I like Vredesteins. One of the best tires I've ever ridden in the wet and they seem to last forever. Retail is ~$40US per tire for folding (kevlar bead).

DeniseGoldberg
03-04-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm running Schwalbe Stelvio tires on my road bike. My road bike is a Bike Friday which has 20" tires - but actually the fact that I'm happy with the tires on that bike is a good thing since little tires wear faster (more revolutions for the same distance!). I'd happily use (the larger circumference version of) these tires on a 700c or 650 tire. They are a bit pricey though - I just checked the Schwalbe (http://www.schwalbetires.com/racing.php?Nickname=STELVIO&Image=TireImages/stelvio.jpg) site, and they are running $32 each for wired tires, and $45 for folding.

Melody
03-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Thanks pedalfaster and Denise. :) One of the requirements is it has to be available at one of the LBS'. ;) The tire isn't punctured completely through, but the cut is through at least the outer and one other layer. :( So, it's probably semi-safe to ride on today, but, on the way, definately picking up a replacement.

Another requirement, that came up last night while I was changing the tire, is no wire beads. I spent probably 30 min alone getting the bead off then back on last night. :eek: I wanted to reinforce that area of the tire with a one dollar bill. :D

Mel

pedalfaster
03-04-2005, 06:55 AM
, I wanted to reinforce that area of the tire with a one dollar bill.
Mel

Are you sure you're a beginner? ;)
When you said you wanted to ride the tire one more time I was just about to suggest that trick!

I hear ya on the wire beads!

Melody
03-04-2005, 07:01 AM
Are you sure you're a beginner? ;)
When you said you wanted to ride the tire one more time I was just about to suggest that trick!

I hear ya on the wire beads!

heh. Well, I did use to ride a mtn bike inorder to get exercise, but it was never on a regular basis. I learned the dollar bill trick, however, when I went to a basic bike maint class that my local LBS held. It was cold and drizzling slightly, but my husband and I decided to ride like we had planned to. We were the only ones in the class that did. :P

The guy teaching it mentioned that he was glad someone rode into class. :cool:

Mel

JanT
03-04-2005, 06:10 PM
If you want to check out some reviews on the tires your LBS carries, check out this website:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/

That's where I check out the roadie gear, since this stuff is still pretty foreign to a mountain biker like me. I just bought some Continental Ultra 2000 tires (700 x 23) on sale at Supergo. They were about half-price at $14.95, the reviews were OK, and I figured that at that price, I couldn't go wrong. Even with the expense of shipping, they were cheaper than most of the good tires at the LBS. They are wire bead, but I didn't have a bit of trouble putting them on. In fact, I put them on without using the tire irons, something I can rarely do. I've ridden about 40 miles or so on them so far, and they seem fine.

Dogmama
03-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I love the Continental 4-season tires. A bit pricey, yes and they have a wire bead (I've heard tossing the tire in the dryer to warm it up & then put it on works...). BUT, for gripping the road they cannot be beat. They last a long time too. My front tire still had that little rubber lip thing in the middle of the tire after 100 miles. What do you call that anyway?

Surlygirl
03-06-2005, 09:20 AM
I also ride the Conti's and love them. They see a lot of rough back country roads, sand, salt and glass without any problem.

Melody
03-06-2005, 11:52 AM
So, I ended up going with the Kenda Koncept, in yellow. :D Nice high visibility. I went looking for the Continental Ultra 2000's, but they were out at my local Supergo.

So far, I love the tires. They have a max pressure of 110, which is where I normally inflate my tires too. The tire is also natural rubber and has a nice smooth ride. :)

Mel

bikerchick68
03-18-2005, 10:54 AM
after 9 flats in a 3 week period :eek: , and that is AFTER replacing the first tire which flatted the initial 4 times, (5 more flats on next THREE rides!) I finally put a DuraSkin on the back wheel... not as fast as a race tire, but the time I save not stopped changing a flat has made it worth it! I commute too and (knock on wood) have yet to flat on this tire... and have ridden 2 century's on them in the last 2 months too! :)

caligurl
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
i've had great luck with my michelin pro's. hubby just got the continental 3000's and likes them so far!

neuroticcyclist
04-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Continental - GP Force.