PDA

View Full Version : Tarwheel Century

tulip
03-25-2008, 04:07 AM
April 26, Elizabeth City, NC. Anyone going?

Zen
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
April 26 looks to be the start of the season. Locally,there's the Tour de Carroll (http://www.tourdecarroll.com/) and the Greenbrier Challenge (http://potomacvelo.com/events/gc/GreenbrierChallenge.htm).
but I might could be talked into it ;)

Blueberry
03-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I thought you were going to ask about the Tarwheels BikeFest in Hillsborough. Drat:)

tulip
03-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I thought you were going to ask about the Tarwheels BikeFest in Hillsborough. Drat:)

When's that?

Blueberry
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
August - I believe it's the 9th this year. We usually volunteer - we may sweep one of the routes again:) It's pretty well organized - usually there's a 30, 60 and 100 mile option.

CA

tulip
03-25-2008, 06:44 PM
August - I believe it's the 9th this year. We usually volunteer - we may sweep one of the routes again:) It's pretty well organized - usually there's a 30, 60 and 100 mile option.

CA

I'll look it up and put it in my calendar. I have no organized rides scheduled for August, yet.

GLC1968
03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
We did the Tarwheel BikeFest Century the last two years. It's a nice ride and the food at the rest stops is usually AWESOME.

Won't be riding it this year though...too far to drive. We live in the wrong Hillsboro now! ;)

emily_in_nc
03-26-2008, 05:30 PM
April 26, Elizabeth City, NC. Anyone going?

Not this year, but I've done that ride (not to be confused by the Carolina Tarwheels' Bikefest in August) twice (2003 and 2004), and it might just be the best event I've ever done. The rest stops are awesome! Some of the delicacies you might enjoy are sweet potato biscuits with country ham, fresh fruit sorbet, gorp, and deviled eggs. Unique food and the friendliest volunteers around, plus the FLAT, scenic route make this early-season event an excellent one. It can be windy, though, being near the coast as it is.

Enjoy -- and please post a report afterwards. I'd love to hear how it is this year!

Emily

tulip
03-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Not this year, but I've done that ride (not to be confused by the Carolina Tarwheels' Bikefest in August) twice (2003 and 2004), and it might just be the best event I've ever done. The rest stops are awesome! Some of the delicacies you might enjoy are sweet potato biscuits with country ham, fresh fruit sorbet, gorp, and deviled eggs. Unique food and the friendliest volunteers around, plus the FLAT, scenic route make this early-season event an excellent one. It can be windy, though, being near the coast as it is.

Enjoy -- and please post a report afterwards. I'd love to hear how it is this year!

Emily

I will report, with pictures. I haven't yet decided whether to ride my Luna or my Bike Friday. Still a few weeks to decide (I've been riding the BF more lately)

IFjane
04-05-2008, 03:08 PM
(I've been riding the BF more lately)

Tulip!!! Please.....TMI!!! :eek::eek::eek:

KayTee
04-05-2008, 03:37 PM
It's really a well run event and a good early-season tune-up. Bikeboy and I rode it for 3 years in a row. The country ham and sweet potato biscuits at the Edenton waterfront rest stop are just divine and almost make up for the unrelenting wind - enjoy the ride!

tulip
04-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Tulip!!! Please.....TMI!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BIKE FRIDAY!!! Argh, I'm so embarrassed!

IFjane
04-07-2008, 04:04 PM
BIKE FRIDAY!!! Argh, I'm so embarrassed!

I knew that!

**ROTFL** :D Forgive me, Tulip - I couldn't resist! ;)

KayTee, Jeannierides and I had a great time on Saturday - KayTee and I even did a little Retail Therapy after brunch. Wish you could have been there - next time, ok?

RE: Tarwheel Century - wish we could, but that is my wedding day...maybe next year? :):)

tulip
04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Yes, the Virginia Ladies will all get together for a ride soon, perhaps the end of May when I get back from my trip. I'm glad you had a good ride!

tulip
04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I had a blast! I did the metric century plus a little, ending up at 66 miles, averaging a little over 14.5 mph. It was windy, but not as windy as previous years, according to my riding partner. The weather was beautiful, the traffic was very light, and the scenery was nice--LOTS OF COOL BIRDS, IFJANE!

The SAG stops were the best I've experienced; one even had smoothies!

I felt like I could keep going, but for this early and for my (lack of) riding to this point, I felt that 66 miles was just right.

My Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro performed flawlessly. I am very pleased with it--it is a fast little bike!

I highly recommend the Tarwheel Century. It's always in April, it's flat and pretty, and is very well-organized.