PDA

View Full Version : Starting over

Trek420
03-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I've had a bad cold for almost 2 weeks. Just now stopped hacking up a lung and feeling dizzy. I can walk the dog again and I think by tomorrow can start some gentle spinning.

How far of a set back is 2 weeks off? I suppose I needed a rest week anyway, may have been over training which did not help. I guess it's start at point A again. :confused:

CorsairMac
03-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Bless your heart hun. Welcome back to the land of the living. Be careful you don't run yourself down trying to get back into your old routine! As for getting back, I always just let my body tell me what it can take.....and I'm very careful about listening to my body anymore. It's always the fatigue that gets me...sometimes up to 2 wks after I get sick. *shakes head*.......heres knocking on wood I miss it this year!

Adventure Girl
03-02-2005, 10:15 AM
It's shocking (and unfair!) how quickly you can lose fitness when you have to take time off (illness, injury or schedule). And it's shocking (and REALLY unfair!) how long it take to get that fitness back! :mad:

Hope you're up and rolling soon. Did you get your bike back yet? Or are you still on the loaner? Will "The Menace" be making her appearance at the Cinderella this year?

Trek420
03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I've read somewhere that if you take 7 weeks off it's as if you never trained in the first place.

Tried a short slow easy spin on the cycleops last night, body said "nope, not yet" but I think by Friday I can slowly get back in the groove.

the lovely Mondonico may be at the Cinderella, if not, the loaner is quite cool as well; she's a Red Della Santa. But nothing fits me like my bike so I hope she's ready. :D :cool: :rolleyes:

Adventure Girl
03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
the lovely Mondonico may be at the CinderellaHer birthday must be coming up soon. Got any plans? Birthday party? How about a birthday cannoli (get it.. 'cuz she's Italian!?) :p

MightyMitre
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I've read somewhere that if you take 7 weeks off it's as if you never trained in the first place.

Eeeeek! Tell me this isn't true - you're starting to scare me :eek: I've been a bit slack for the last few months due to a back injury, but not helped by the winter weather. I've been trying to keep things ticking over on the home trainer but it's gutting how quickly you loose fitness.

Can you really loose ALL fitness? Even if I didn't train for 7 weeks surely I'd be fitter than before I did any exercise at all ... :confused:

SadieKate
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Oh no! Does this mean we might not see you Sunday? I have a coworker coming who is worrying that he might be slow. You can ride with him. Would a cupcake help? I'm still in the snack planning stage. Are cupcakes recuperative?

snapdragen
03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Now Sadiekate-- Peeps have the recuperative powers, you must remember that!

Having said that, I'm having knee issues. I'm waiting until Sunday morning to see how they feel, so if I'm not there on time, don't wait for me. I'm hoping liberal doses of vitimin I will work, I want to meet everyone!

Oh no! Does this mean we might not see you Sunday? I have a coworker coming who is worrying that he might be slow. You can ride with him. Would a cupcake help? I'm still in the snack planning stage. Are cupcakes recuperative?

SadieKate
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh no, again!!!! Thanks for the reminder, snapdragen. We have lots of Peeps which should be nicely aged to the proper chewy stage. I have also found that Dove chocolate Easter eggs are good for knees. :D (sorry, Hershey).

Sending lots of healing vibes to you and Trek.

SK

CorsairMac
03-02-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm thinking about maybe moving to CA. Nope, don't got a job, don't got a place to live- but those snack incentives ya'll keep offering for the bike rides might just make the expense of the move worth it!

Trek420
03-02-2005, 07:00 PM
corsair...yep that's why we live here...it's the snacks.....

SadieKate I'm loosing it, must be the cold drugs, where when on Sunday? If I recuperate or to the extent that could be fixed by snacks.....

Sadie writes "I have a coworker coming who is worrying that he might be slow. You can ride with him." who you callin' slow? oh, yeah, right, you know people who've seen me ride HEALTHY ;-)

AG asks if I've got plans for "birthday cannoli (get it.. 'cuz she's Italian!?)" well I'm afraid to re-christen my bike, not going to smash a bottle over her bow....but she will get a new saddle and I'm thinkin' Italian.

Mightymitre ... even if you didn't train for a while I'm sure you'd be fitter than most and there's something to the base miles just staying there. I'm not a trainier I think some things just stay in muscle memory.

SadieKate
03-02-2005, 07:51 PM
And I thought we lived here for the milk.

Trek, I was only figuring that you'd be slow because you'd still be recuperatin'. The ride: March 6 Berryessa Ride (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2121)

Just checked the Peep supply, sliced open another box. 3 kinds of Girl Scout cookies mysteriously appeared yesterday also. It's all I can do not to break into them, but, you see, the calories don't count if you share the box. :D On the other hand, I don't think the calories from Thin Mints ever count! ;)

AutumnBreez
03-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Yes, same stuff, coughing attacks that are non productive and dizziness that make me want my eyes closed. ICK...stop it! Hope to be over it soon. Worse today than all week, did not go to work since tues. and its fri.
This stinks!

halfbit
03-12-2005, 07:42 PM
My daughter, poor thing, has been battling it too, and she has asthma. Sounds like that wheezy dog that used to be in the Wacky Racers cartoon. It DOES take time to get back into it....I was out of commission for the most part for about 6 months - I could barely make it around the block a couple of times a day. Doing mucho better now, though, and just in time for the good weather.
Yessss!!!

Dogmama
03-13-2005, 04:10 AM
Hacking coughs are miserable. Here is what I've used & recommended for years:

Eucalyptus oil (tinctures, you can buy them in a health food store) has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Plus, it clears your lungs, nasal passages and brings tears to your eyes. Bring a pot of water to boil and add a few drops (strength is determined by the brand you buy.) Drape a towel over your head and breathe. (Be sure to take it off of the stove first, hehehe :eek: ) Do this several times a day. If you have a humidifier, put the tincture in the water.

Garlic has the same anti-nasty properties. But, it must be raw. Chop up a clove (we all know the difference between a clove and a bulb, right? ;) ) into small pieces and swallow with water. Also keeps vampires away.

A medicine called Wellness Formula by Source Naturals has good vitamins & herbs. I start taking it at the first sign of a cold, along with Zycam and extra vitamin C & zinc.

I have lupus, so I really need to fight off anything like this because it gets my immune system out of whack and puts me into a flare.

Wellness Formula is good if you're riding hard. You probably know that hard exercise can compromise your immune system. Wellness seems to help.

Trek420
03-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks,

I do the steam thing, minus the eucalyptus, I'll try that next time. I'm sure there will be a "next time".

The garlic thing I intuited cause I crave Chinese Hot and Sour Chicken Soup. I'll try the head of...oops clove of garlic thing.

I read somewhere that if the cold is in your head it's ok to ride if otherwhise capable. If it's neck down it's time to sit and watch TDF re-runs and drink tea and chicken soup.

I feel much better now, so all those with this creeping krud it does get better. I went to the dojo yesterday and did an hour and a half class, trained hard, the Saturday class is not hard physicly but I pushed myself. After class Brett, one of the senior black belts wanted to work on some stuff so I stayed another half hour. I was tired afterward but the good type o' tired, glad to be on the way back.