PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Zydeco Countdown

kaybee
03-23-2008, 10:47 AM
First of all, Happy Easter to eveyrone! It's a chilly, windy 50-something degrees (yes, we're wimps, and consider 50 degrees chilly) here in North Georgia today. But, the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day. DH is cutting the grass and I'm packing and repacking for CZ, checking and rechecking my list, and getting more excited bythe minute.

We will leave at 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. According to the local Lafayette, LA TV station, the weather should be 80 degrees Thursday and Friday, 79 on Saturday, and 78 on Sunday, with only a 20% chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday. Don't think I'll need those tights I put in the pile to pack. :D

Susan, don't forget your insect repellant -- the mosquitoes are really big down there!

KB

bmccasland
03-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Bring rain gear
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/tenday/USLA0261?from=36hr_topnav_allergies

Isolated / scattered thunderstorms are forecast. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Have fun!

Aint Doody
04-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Oh Wow! What fun we had, huh KB?! I ate lotsa crawfish & other stuff, too. That headwind on the last day was a killer, but I can hardly wait until next year. I never changed gears! There was a slight rise in the road occasionally, but not enough to shift. I will say that I certainly appreciate the roads in OR after riding on those roads in S. LA. However, it was pointed out to me by a friend who lives in New Iberia, LA, that their roads are built on swamps and ours are built on rocks.

And I did a dumb, dumb thing. I had shipped my tent and sleeping bag, etc. ahead to my sister. She didn't open it--just threw the box in her car. We opened it up and threw everything on the truck. When we got to the 1st stop in Breaux Bridge, we discovered that the tent poles were still in Oregon! Yikes! So I went to talk to the guy Padre who had a tent service. He's quite expensive, but I asked if he had anything available. He said he'd made an offer the night before at the opening announcements of a free tent to the 1st person who asked him. Well, I was the 1st person! Amazing--it was a big dome tent with 2 air mattresses. He put it up and took it down every day. So my sister is still speaking to me!

And the mosquitos weren't a problem fortunately. Somebody had a patch to fend them off. I don't know how well it works, as they weren't around very much.

I can't wait til next year. I think I'll buy a tent when I get there--cheaper than shipping all that stuff back & forth or renting from Padre.

kaybee
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey Susan! It was great to meet you. I thought our paths would cross again after the first day, but they never did. You know, I don't remember the last time I had that much fun. Did you go to the Liberty Theater and dance? We went but did not dance (neither one of us really knows how). However, we WILL dance next year, because I'm ordering a Cajun dance instruction DVD. We don't have to be good, we just have to know a few basics, and the beer will do the rest!

You are right about the roads -- I was thinking I would trade a hill or two for some smooth pavement.

Great luck with the tent! We looked at them too, but DH wasn't convinced that I would be happy sleeping in a tent, and I think he's right -- I didnt' see any place to plug in a blow dryer! ;)

Glad you had a good time!

KB

Aint Doody
04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
KB, so how were the hotels/B&B's? We're thinking about that for next year. And, yep, I thought we'd see each other again, too. We didn't make it to the Liberty--went to Nick's for 1 drink and it turned into several more!!! We'll do it next year. I want to learn that Zydeco steppin', too. You cannot be still when you hear that music. Did y'all go into Fred's in Mamou? We started in, but it was soooo crowded & so loud. My sister is prone to migraines and knew that'd invite a big one for her. Let me know how your dance lessons go from the DVD. Laissez les bons temps roler!

kaybee
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
The hotels were fine; it just took time to get to them! The night we ended in Eunice we actually had to stay in Crowley, which is about 30 minutes away. There was an accident on the highway into Crowley, so the bus drivers were told to kill time because they couldn't get through anyway. So, they were taking people to Nick's, other hotels in town, and to the campground -- with us on the bus! After about two hours we finally arrived at the hotel. Fortunately, we had a good driver who loved to talk (all of us from down there do!) and he was playing some good zydeco music, so, other than being tired, it was okay.

We skipped Nicks, but you're right about the music. We were in the balcony at the Liberty, and I literally did not sit still the whole time. As for Fred's, we tried to get in, but the place was literally packed all the way to the door, so we opted out. Like your sister, I knew the cigarette smoke and noise would not be good for me.

Maybe we can make firm plans to meet next year. I've already told my employer that I would be doing this again in 2009!

KB

Aint Doody
04-19-2008, 03:11 PM
I wonder how long it will be when it fills up only with people who've already done the ride? But I'll be back if at all possible.

Aint Doody
09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
It's getting close to time to sign up for Cycle Zydeco again. Oct 1 & 2 for previous riders; Oct 3 for 1st timers. KB, are you going? I am, and I even have a new Bike Friday coming so that I don't have to pay all that $$ for my road bike to fly. Somehow I was able to justify that purchase! But in a few years the Bike Fri. will pay for itself--I hope!

Who's going??? Don't miss it. Such fun.

Susan

kaybee
09-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey Susan! We're definitely going to try to get in, but I'm worried that we won't. Congratulations on the new bike. I like how you rationalized it! ;)

KB

Aint Doody
09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Hey Susan! We're definitely going to try to get in, but I'm worried that we won't. Congratulations on the new bike. I like how you rationalized it! ;)

KB

KB--we get preferential registration on Oct 1 & 2. Just be ready! And did you see that this year you can register 2 people at a time? That'll be nice. My sister isn't going this year, but I'm sure I'll find people to ride/hang out with--like you!

And----rationalization is my middle name.

Susan

kaybee
09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
You can definitely hang out with us! Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the tour gods are smiling down on us next Wednesday.

tulip
09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Looks like we're going to go, too. I will be bringing my Bike Friday. Having that bike has opened up so many ride possibilities that were not options before.

Aint Doody
09-30-2008, 10:10 AM
We just gotta be sitting at the computer with our fingers hovering over the keyboard when the registration opens. Oooh-weeeee! I'm gettin' 'cited.

Aint Doody
10-01-2008, 06:40 AM
I just put in a call to Simone at the Lafayette Chamber of Commerce. I've been waiting until 8 am Pacific time to register. I checked the site at 7:40 and now it says registration opens tomorrow--the 2nd! I don't know what's going on here. I hope she calls me back.

Aint Doody
10-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Simone just called me back. The date of Oct. 2nd was wrong on the website! Whew! Now I just have to wait about 15 minutes to see if I get in!!!

Aint Doody
10-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Whoa!!! After a few glitches on their website I finally got in! I think so anyway. Hope KB & Tulip have good luck.

kaybee
10-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Congratulations! No such luck for me -- the website appeared to have crashed, and now it says it's full. I may try again Friday, but I'm beginning to think this ride is just too much trouble.

KB

Aint Doody
10-01-2008, 09:27 AM
KB! I'm so disappointed. Please try again. I know they said they would only take the 1st 150 today. So there are more slots available for Fri. Should you try again on Thurs. morning? They definitely had problems with the website. When it was stuck after entering V/MC info, I called the 800 number. The line was busy and they have an auto-answering system. At least this year you can register 2 at a time. Tulip, don't hesitate.

Susan

tulip
10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
I don't see where to register. I clicked on Registration, and all I get is the dates of registration--nowhere to actually register? Can y'all help me figure this out?

I emailed the Chamber of Commerce (Lafayette) for registration advice. I have a local last name from down there (my father's from Crowley), so maybe that'll help (!?)

kaybee
10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Here's the latest: I emailed and called; Nancy called me back, so I explained what happened, and she said she would see if anything could be done and call me back later. I just got home and had an email from Simone stating that they realize I tried to register, and that I would be sent a link later today, or tomorrow at the latest, that would allow me to complete my registration. Yay!!

If we get in the real challenge will be to find hotel rooms in Breaux Bridge and Eunice; Breaux Bridge sustained some damage from Hurricane Gustav and none of the hotels were taking reservations when I called last week, and the B&Bs are full. All the hotels in Eunice (all three of them) are also full. So, we may get to try Padre's Cycle Inn. I've never been camping!

Tulip, try again Friday, when they open it up to the public. They only take 350 riders, so it fills up really fast.

tulip
10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
[snip]

Tulip, try again Friday, when they open it up to the public. They only take 350 riders, so it fills up really fast.

I will try on Friday. I have family down there so perhaps I can bother them for accommodations, maybe, although they would not be so keen on me and my SO sharing a bed (we're not married, although we are middle age, already-been-married folks!)

Aint Doody
10-01-2008, 03:32 PM
KB, I'm so glad they're going to let you all register. Camping isn't so bad. With Padre all you have to do is show up. He pitches the tent and puts a completely blown up airmattress in. And he takes it all down. I just cannot justify his prices when I have my own tent and can do all that.

Tulip, KB is right. Be totally ready when they open the registration on Fri. Have your credit card in hand. Decide in advance if you want a jersey. I can't find a picture of it anywhere for this year, but they're always really different. They are designed by Vergie Banks, an artist from Lafayette. I ordered one sight unseen. If you want an idea of her style, google her and look at some of her artwork. She was influenced by Picasso. I love her Little Red Tricycle Series.

On Fri. when you hit "registration" all the info will be there. Good luck. Don't hesitate for one minute!!!

Ooh! We'll all have fun. I'll have to hang out with y'all, as I'm coming by myself this year.

tulip
10-02-2008, 12:54 PM
I got an email from Simone (she seems very nice). She said the public registration begins tomorrow (Friday) at 10 central/11 eastern. She said she expects it to fill up in minutes. I'll give it a try!

If I don't get in, I'll just have to create my own tour down there.

bmccasland
10-02-2008, 04:16 PM
If y'all fly into New Orleans - give me a call! I'm only a few miles from the airport. :D

And if you're driving through... not far off I-10 either. ;)

Aint Doody
10-03-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm planning to fly into Lafayette and staying in New Iberia with my wonderful friend Hazel Dupre Delahoussaye. She's a genuine "coonie." Her fabulous cajun accent puts my southern drawl to shame. Her voice is like a symphony from the swamp.

And, Tulip, Simone is really very nice. Even if you don't get in and are on the waiting list, contact her every week or so. She'll get to know you and may capitulate near the end. That's how we got my sister in last year when she was #7 on the waiting list. Good luck!!!!

tulip
10-03-2008, 06:43 AM
I postponed my errands this morning to be here at 11 eastern time. I have Delahoussayes in my family, but they are everywhere down there. Thanks for the advice about keeping in touch with Simone. I'll give that a try if I don't get in.

tulip
10-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I GOT IN!! Whoo-hoo! My house has no heat (renovation) and it's cold and I kept messing up with my typing because of cold fingers, but it appears that I made it. Thanks for all the good advice. I got jerseys for me and my pal, too!

My registration clocked in at 10:06 central. I just checked again (10:17 central) and it's already closed. Whew!

kaybee
10-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Her fabulous cajun accent puts my southern drawl to shame. Her voice is like a symphony from the swamp.

That's exactly what I think about the accent -- I keep telling people it's like music to my ears! Of course, I've lost mine after being in Georgia for over 22 years, but when I retire and move back, I'm sure it will come back quickly!

By the way, we're in! We'll be driving; since I'm from the area, and we go home several times a year, we can do the drive in our sleep (and I think we have a few times!). We'll spend some time with the family in Jeanerette (only a few miles from New Iberia, "Queen City of the Teche").

KB

Aint Doody
10-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I am so excited that we're all going to be there! I almost feel like this is sorority rush or something, and we all pledged the same sorority! I'd also been communicating with a lady from TX who chose my name at random to find out about CZ, and she got in, too. The stressful part is over, and we can now relax and plan to have a "bon temps!" Look out, crawfish, here I come!!

tulip
10-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Is the route the same every year? Will the towns be different next year?

Aint Doody
10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Tulip, I'm pretty sure it's the same year after year. It always starts and finishes in Lafayette. So if you miss something one year, you can just check it out the next! I'm already thinking about the crawfish at Myron's in Arnaudville.

By the way, I finally saw the picture of the jersey today. Wow! I like it better than last year's. Glad I ordered one.

https://www.cyclezydeco.com/images/jersey-2009.jpg

tulip
10-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Aw, that's too bad. They should mix it up. There are so many great little towns and rural areas down there. Bike Virginia is a similar ride every year, but they always have a different route in a different part of the state.

I am looking forward to going in April, but if the route is the same, I won't go again. Perhaps I'll just plan my own tour down there and explore some other areas by bike.

The jersey is nice.

kaybee
03-15-2009, 07:48 AM
I've been trying not to think about it it, since I can be like a little kid at Christmas when I'm looking forward to something, but even I have to acknowledge: IT'S ONLY A MONTH AWAY! I believe there are three of us here that are planning to go; is that right? We should arrange to meet up at the kickoff party and at least say hello. I met AD very briefly last year, but didn't get to spend time much talking. Anyone interested?

KB

Aint Doody
03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm interested, but unfortunately my flight arrives in Lafayette at 8:30. I don't see how I can make the kick-off party. How about at the start? Or in Breaux Bridge? I'm going solo, so I'm up for anything. My sister isn't going this year. I'll be on my green Bike Friday. Tulip, are you going to have your Bike Friday? KB, I can't remember what your bike was, as we only got to visit a little one day. I'm camping. What about y'all?

tulip
03-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure which bike I'll bring, since I'll be driving. I just had a wonderful week of riding on the Bike Friday, however, and it performed beautifully. I haven't unpacked it yet--I hope TSA didn't go in there and mess things up. My case was damaged by the airlines (the handle).

I'm not camping, but I'll be sure to look for the green BF. If I bring mine, it's white. If I bring my Luna, it's red.

I'll send y'all PMs before I leave so hopefully we can find each other. KB, I'll be at the kickoff party. Can't miss those dancing lessons!

Aint Doody
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Tulip, can you teach me the dance steps later? I hate missing the kick-off party. Last year the food was terrific--in fact, that's why I missed the dance lessons!

PamNY
03-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Okay, I have a new goal in life: Doing this ride next year. Sounds like so much fun. I'm hoping for detailed reports, menus, photos, etc.

Pam

tulip
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Pam, keep an eye out for next year's registration. This year it filled up in 8 minutes by my count. Previous riders have priority, and they often return for the party, although I doubt I will since they don't change the route. I wish they would change the route from year to year for some extra spice (not the gumbo kind of spice)! My father's family is from Crowley and I've been down there alot. There's alot to see on the ride, and in the surrounding Parishes and towns.

But I'm sure looking forward to this year's ride.

Aint Doody
03-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Pam, Tulip is right. I'm a "repeat rider," and I was sitting at my computer with my hand on the mouse at the appointed time. I'm rider number 2, and it did indeed fill up fast. They only allowed a certain number of repeaters and then opened it the next day for the new riders. So BE READY! Here's a link.

http://www.cyclezydeco.com/

tulip
03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I started clicking for registration a few minutes before they opened. I'm rider 334, and they capped it at 350. It was closed by the time I finished registering, eight minutes. I was lucky to get in as a first-timer.

Aint Doody
03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I can hardly wait!!!! Looks like it was 80 in Lafayette today.

PamNY
03-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the tips on registering. I'm not surprised it's popular. I've been thinking about it all day, planning what to wear and wondering if this is a good excuse to buy a folder.

Pam

kaybee
03-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone! Susan, I'm sorry that you'll miss the kick-off party. I'll look for you at the start or in St. Martinville or Breaux Bridge.

Tulip, we'll have to be sure to try to find each other at the party. Are you camping? We'll be there for the dance lessons, although it won't do any good. I went so far as to order a Cajun dance instruction DVD, thinking DH and I could get a head start on learning to dance. It didn't quite work out. The poor guy just isn't a dancer, and even though I was born and raised not far from Lafayette, I'm not much of a dancer either. So, I guess we'll either have to drink more beer this year so we can get up the nerve to at least try to dance (and not care what we look like!) or we'll just be toe-tapping on the sidelines like we did last year!

Hope to see you there. Until then, take care and be safe!

KB

Aint Doody
03-22-2009, 08:09 AM
How about at the start we sorta try to look for each other? If it's set up like last year, we should be able to pretty much pinpoint a place. Also my green Bike Friday is easy to spot. How about as we're facing the announcement stand thing, we can meet at the right side of it? On our right as we face the stand. Is that OK?

Susan

PS--Are y'all camping? I am. KB, I know you were looking for B&B's again.

tulip
03-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Right side, I guess I'll know it when I see it. I'm not camping. Still don't know which bike to bring...but it will be the white Bike Friday or the red Luna.

Aint Doody
03-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Eeeek! Got the maps. Now I'm really gettin' 'cited!!!! Crawfish at Myron's--I can just taste it.

kaybee
03-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Yep, maps came this morning. I guess that means it's really getting close! Susan and Tulip, I'll look for you on my RIGHT SIDE facing the announcer. I'll have my black Ruby and will be with a tall guy with a mustache and great legs riding a red Giant (DH). ;) We will be hoteling it since we don't own camping gear and for what Padre charges we can get hotel rooms with amenities.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the crawfish etouffe at Russell's in Arnaudville. Yum -- as good as mom's! Let's just hope the weather calms down in the next two weeks; they had tornadoes and flooding rains this week. See you there!

KB

tulip
03-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Whoo-hoo! My mail is in the mailbox but I haven't gotten it out yet--been working in the back yard all day. Mmmmm, crawfish etouffe...mmmmm.

kaybee
03-29-2009, 10:17 AM
To celebrate the upcoming event, I cooked the last two pounds of crawfish I had in the freezer last night. I had been saving them, trying to make them last until we could replenish on our next trip. It was so good!!!

Aint Doody
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Uhhhh--Kaybee, we may not notice you for looking at "a tall guy with a mustache and great legs riding a red Giant.":D

bmccasland
03-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Anyone flying into New Orleans? Not riding, but I do live 10 minutes from the airport.

tulip
03-30-2009, 05:54 AM
Nope, I'm driving from Virginia (a looooong drive) so I can make the rounds of family visits after the ride.

Aint Doody
03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Flying into Lafayette and staying in New Iberia Wed. night with my dear friend. She has one of those wonderful song-like Cajun accents. I can't wait to see her. She'll pick me up in her "little" car and we'll go to her "little" town to her "little" house on her "little" street where we'll see her "little" husband. She's such a terrific and fun person.

kaybee
03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Nope, I'm driving from Virginia (a looooong drive) so I can make the rounds of family visits after the ride.

Wow, Tulip, that is a long drive! We'll be driving from North Georgia and visiting family after. It's only about 10-1/2 hours and we've been doing it for 23 years so it's routine for us.

Susan, I love New Iberia, especially Main Street. The area around the library and The Shadows is so pretty. (Sigh, I'm homesick now.)

Have a safe trip down ladies. I'll be looking for you Thursday morning!

KB

tulip
04-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Yep, the first day will be to Montgomery (a long day) and then a shorter day into Lafayette. We haven't been on a road trip in a long time, so it will be fun, at least for the first couple of hours! I'm getting my car all worked on tomorrow so it'll be ready. Driving is just so much cheaper than flying and renting a car.

Aint Doody
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Should we exchange cell numbers? I'll pm y'all mine.

Susan

Aint Doody
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
I just looked at Accuweather for Thurs., 4/16. Rain--but warm rain. It can certainly change, and I hope it does. It still can't dampen my excitement.

Aint Doody
04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Have y'all been watching the weather forecasts? It's crazy! It changes daily from rain to sun for all 4 days. I'm counting on the sunny days. I look at accuweather. Maybe I should try a different site. Won't be long now!!!!

tulip
04-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Doody, I'm bringing the Bike Friday! Tonight I'm getting out my CZ folder and gonna start organizing my stuff. I'm really looking forward to this ride.

Aint Doody
04-10-2009, 03:58 PM
OK! Bike Fridays are easy to spot. I've already shipped ahead my tent and all that stuff. I'm really getting excited, too. See you Thurs. morning!

Susan

kaybee
04-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Have y'all been watching the weather forecasts? It's crazy! It changes daily from rain to sun for all 4 days. I'm counting on the sunny days. I look at accuweather. Maybe I should try a different site. Won't be long now!!!!

Yep, been spending too much time on accuweather myself. But, the weather is crazy in the south this time of year. Sunday we rode in shorts in short sleeves, Tuesday we had snow, Wednesday morning it was 29 degrees and I wore my warm tights to run, this morning I ran in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, and this afternoon we had torrential rain and tornado warnings.

I've just decided that I can't control the weather, and we're going no matter what. If it rains, we'll all get wet together!

We're going to start packing this weekend. Fortunately, I kept my list from last year, so I know what to throw in a bag. Tonight we're rewrapping my handlebars, and tomorrow or Sunday we'll clean and lube bikes. Let's say a prayer for good weather!

KB

tulip
04-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Cycle Zydeco was a wonderful ride. I really enjoyed it, and I enjoyed meeting Aint Doody and kaybee, too! The riding was great (flat!), the food was amazing as expected, the music was delightful, and the weather worked out, at least for those of us not camping (right, kaybee?!)

And we got in 200 miles for the week, too!

Aint Doody
04-23-2009, 07:45 AM
It was fun--even in the downpour in a tent! That was pretty amazing & scary! Tulip & Kaybee, y'all don't know what you missed------fortunately!

My friend in New Iberia gave me a newspaper that had a story. Look in the advertiser -- I think it's just theadvertiser.com, but I'm at a library in Memphis, TN right now and am not sure. Anyway there are some pictures from the 1st day. Search for cycle zydeco. There is a picture of Tulip and her hunk of a fellow. (I think he looks like Richard Gere.) Also one picture has Kaybee and me. I only know it's us because of where we were standing that morning--we are just dots.

I had such a great time visiting with y'all. Thanks to TE, we have gotten to be friends.

I'll be back home on Fri. afternoon. Rode my Bike Fri. here to the library in Memphis from Momma's house. I hate to get back to reality tomorrow!!

Aint Doody
04-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Here are pictures of the TE people at Cycle Zydeco. This one is Tulip and me at the finish of the ride.

Aint Doody
04-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Here are more pictures. I sorta goofed up on the first post. The first picture in this post is Kaybee and her husband. The second is Kaybee and me. The last one is a really fun lady from FL who uses her bottle cages for other beverages.:D

PamNY
04-26-2009, 07:21 AM
Great photos! Thanks for posting them.

I'd love to do this ride next year, and I have a question about camping: was it noisy at night? I'm okay with camping but I need my sleep. Groups of folks having fun do tend to make noise.

Pam

Aint Doody
04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
The only night noises were traffic and thunder. The traffic noise wasn't bad, and I could have camped further from that. As for the thunder -- I don't know what I could have done about that! Earplugs work well. The partying was not in the camping area.

There was also gymn camping. I don't know how noisy that was. Those of us in the tents were very quiet.

It's really a great ride. Just sign up really fast.