PDA

View Full Version : Apparel

norsk roadie
08-27-2002, 04:38 AM
Having trouble finding "highly visible" women's clothing. I've given up on shorts and go all black (How come the guys get all the bright color block?) and buy guy's jerseys in small. Most women's stuff is mauve, blue, green, or goofy flowers. None of it the kind of stuff that a driver in a car would notice. Any thoughts?

carolineb
09-13-2002, 01:59 AM
Assos do a nice womens range, I just bought a pair of their shorts (but I just got them delivered this morning, so haven't tried them out.) Looks like great technology though, and they come in yellow, blue and red, with matching tops. Their website is www.assos.com and they have distributors all over the world.

ayermail2
09-13-2002, 06:44 AM
norsk - I agree with you - the guys have the good colors!

I would LOVE to find a true neon pink shirt (I have one that is close!), or even the color block shirts in the Nashbar catalog (men's of course!)...

I have a lot up top, if you know what I mean, so men's shirts don't even come close to fitting .....

I don't want "cornflower blue" "sunset yellow" or "strawberry pink" - I want hi-viz yellow, screaming orange, rocket red (and anything in neon pink (true neon, not just fuschia!) or neon orange!!!

norsk roadie
09-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the tip on Assos - also just found veloware.com who carries women's shorts in 8 (!!!) different colors including some highly visible red and yellow - now to find the the jerseys as we start in on the darker half of the year!!

ayermail2
09-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Norsk Roadie - I see you're in Connecticut... How did you fare in the storm? DH & I have a friend up there that works for the power company - he was out awfully late trying to restore power to folks......

ramona
11-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Norske Roadie...

I've recently (Aug) begun commuting by bike to work. With winter on it's way to the PNW, I was looking for brightly colored clothes that didn't cost an arm-and-a-leg and also fit a size 14 (and busty) gal.

I've had luck with performancebike.com. They've got good prices and you can join their "club" to earn an add'l 10% off. Right now, they have their Illuminite clothing on some good discounts.

Good luck! ...R

Veronica
11-10-2002, 05:45 PM
Canari has some nice wind and water resistant jackets. The women's colors were a purple and a dark blue - what were they thinking? I really liked the purple - it would have matched our purpleen tandem nicely. The men's line had a nice bright yellow, that I got in a small from REI online since the stores don't seem to carry small sizes. My hubby went with a Pearl Izumi Flash that has reflector stuff built into it - color screaming yellow! It didn't fit me as well through waist, was kind of billowy. I like the Canari because the sleeves zip off, so I can some extra venting but still stay dry.

We noticed on the Death Valley Century that bright colors really do a make a difference. We could see riders more than a mile away and the brighter colors really made them stand out.

missliz
11-12-2002, 10:01 PM
I want screaming neon please see me don't hit me colors too, and found womens jerseys so bright they'll burn your retinas at Performance Bike (.com). The colors vary from year to year, but most winters they seem to have a neon long sleeve. Some of the Primal Wear womens stuff is pretty visible, but doesn't fit me. Big boobs and broad shoulders. I also haven't starved off all my muscles so I really don't fit the skinny ideal. I buy a lot of mens jerseys and alter them.

miss liz

ayermail2
11-13-2002, 07:57 AM
my sister and I got lucky this last weekend at her LBS - 2 women's hi-viz yellow Pearl Izumi jerseys on the clearance rack!!! woo hoo!!

(we actually wore matching clothing for our first century ride this past Saturday - haven't done that since we were kids!! (we're twins...))

missliz
11-13-2002, 12:38 PM
Don't you love it when that stuff happens! That's so funny. I hope you had a great ride- but I bet you did. The jersey thing sounds so auspicious.

missliz

ayermail2
11-13-2002, 01:55 PM
missliz - we had a WONDERFUL ride!! It took us ALL DAY (7:45 am to 7:30 pm) but it was great!!!!

missliz
11-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Serendipitous!
Thats the word I wanted earlier and couldn't find. Those jerseys were serendipitous!
Getting the parking spot right in front of the door when you go shopping, that's auspicious.

missliz

DoubleLori
11-15-2002, 09:53 PM
I have a hot-pink long sleeve jersey that's so bright that if I ride past a herd of animals (cows, horses) it'll stampede them! It is a Tommaso, made in Italy, mens, but fits me ok. I've had it for years, so I don't know if they still make them. It actually got to the point that I stopped wearing it past a certain horse ranch because I was afraid a horse would get hurt and I would get sued for spooking it!:D

ayermail2
11-16-2002, 06:13 PM
I keep looking for neon pink (not hot pink, there's a difference...:p ) , but everyone I've seen with them has gotten them "years ago":rolleyes: , haven't found one yet but one day....

DoubleLori
11-16-2002, 07:47 PM
I use the term "Hot Pink" ("hot" was the term used for fluorescent colors during the Peter Max days of the late '60s), because to me, being a chemist, "neon" can only mean one color and that is the orange that you see in true neon signs. (When neon is excited by electricity it can only glow one visible color and that is orange; other colors that you see in so-called "neon" signs are actually produced by other gases such as argon). But anywayyyy... that jersey of mine is about the brightest pink that pink can be. I haven't tried a fluorescent light on it but it must be fluorescent; it hurts your eyes :cool: to look at it, which must be why the animals hate it. :D ;) :D It's awesome!

ayermail2
11-17-2002, 09:44 AM
sounds like exactly the color I keep looking for!

Trixiee
11-18-2002, 01:43 AM
Hi Ayermail2!

You have helped me in the past, so hopefully I can help you.

Have you checked ebay? I'm sure I've seen some really pink jerseys on there. Plus it's fun to bid on stuff!

Keep ridin'!

Trixiee

Karen London
11-27-2002, 09:43 AM
For highly visible, if you want to spend the money, Pearl Izumi screaming yellow is always highly visible whenever I see anyone wearing it. Also Castelli do a very visible yellow (but costs lots), in UK we have "Altura" who do very visible yellow rainjackets. Also I recommend anything Illuminite, I have a yellow Castelli Illuminite rain jacket which is yellow in the day but lights up white if headlights touch it in the dark. also have you thought of the yellow fluorescent "sashes" which you can put over your clothing? Mine cost about $12 and these make an enormous difference and as I commute mostly in the dark in winter I always wear mine. You can also get the small flashing lights and put them on your left wrist (on the road side towards driver) or on the back of your jacket, thread them through the vents in your helmet, sometimes I wear two of those. Good luck!

ayermail2
11-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Trixiee - Thanks for the tip! I will look into EBay...hadn't thought of that!

Karen - I have a red flashing light on my helmet (I am known as "Bobblehead Babe" :p ) and have a reflective safety vest. I have also put lots of reflective tape on my bike (on the rack, on the crank arms...) and reflective ankle bands for when I wear long pants....

As of Nov 7th, I also now am the proud owner of a Pearl Izumi hi-viz yellow short sleeve jersey (my twin sister and I actually found only 2 of them, and women's even, on the clearance at her LBS!) I just happen to really like neon pink! :D I tolerate and wear the yellow just because I feel safer. I really want vehicles during the day to be able to see me....

I love coming to this forum!!!

ramona
11-28-2002, 08:16 AM
I also have a lot of the Illuminite wear - pants, vest, jacket. Love them! Especially since I do most of my riding, these days, at night!

Right now, Performance Bikes has all their illuminute stuff on sale for REALLY good prices. They also have great prices on their hi-vis clothing.

Have a happy turkey day, all!

...R

assassin__x
11-28-2002, 05:32 PM
I should get some brighter jerseys (visabilty to cars on ths road, but also good for hunting season on the trails). The flashyist garment that I could find when I started cycling a couple years ago was a silver Louis Garneau jersey (aka my astonaout jersey), but that still isn't the brightness that I wanted. I have a couple of Shebeast jerseys that arn't shabby, but I can only seem to find that kind of thing when I go abroad (I'm from Halifax, NS, there arn't too many stores that have a wide variety of cycling clothes).

If I could find any colour jersey right now it would have to be a bright apple green, but I'd be happy if there were just less of those dull muted colours on the shelf. Why tone it down if you're already wearing spandex??

I use lights when I ride on gloomy days and at night. Flashing back light and a headlight. I also make sure I wear items with reflective tape on them. I would like to put more tape on my bike and clothes, where can you buy that sort of thing?

Veronica
11-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Rivendell has a green wool jersey. You might check that one out.

http://www.woolywarm.com/925-933-7304/product.php?p=3

Veronica

annie
04-14-2003, 07:11 PM
It took me two years to find a warm winter cycling jacket for women in a bright color. I finally ended up with a bright red/black Giordana jacket, illuminite stripe across the back. It's warm enough for under 20 degrees riding and breathes pretty well. MOST of the jackets for women were very pretty blues, purples, dark greens. Very nice jackets, if I only wanted to x-country ski in them. Makes one blend right into the road if you're on a bike. Just exactly wrong for cycling! Why do they make them that way? Is it some sort of plot to ride the world of women cyclists? Okay, that's a bit drastic, but the thought did occur to me as I searched and searched for the right jacket. I finally found it here, at TE.

What are some opinions on Primal wear clothing? They have some really bright stuff out for this year. Does anyone know how the shorts fit and how well they wear? Are the jerseys really cut for women? How 'bout the sport bras? Do they run big, small, normal? I just got a new bike (Yeah!) and there's a couple primal wear outfits that would match so well........... but I hate to spend the cash if I don't know what I'm getting. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Annie

missliz
04-14-2003, 11:23 PM
If you mail order Primal from a big house like Nashbar or Performence, they'll take it back if you hate it. I find the womens stuff to run small, but I'm an amazon, tall, broad shoulders and big boobs. If you go to the site, <<www.primalwear.com>> there's pix of the whole line and links to mail order dealers who handle it. Fit is so relative- The chick stuff is for the very fit and fairly slender. Or am I just a giant? There should be a size chart at the Primal site. I buy the less macho mens jerseys and take the elastic out of the hems (I sew) and love them. I've had discussions with Alann, the PrimalGuy, and supposedly he's going to try and do some more mens (unisex? he calls them) jerseys that aren't so aggressive/ dykey looking on women. I don't wanna wear armored pit bulls.
Check it out- the stuff is loud enough :D and I'm pleased with mine, I think I've got six. Wish the womens fit me, I always wanted the Pride Cometh outfit. Performance and Nashber will come out with house jerseys in bright colors, too, very affordable and I just put an iron on Grateful Dead Bear over the company logo-voila, MT jersey supreme!

ridin a giant
05-29-2003, 03:22 AM
Hi, I feel in love with biking after getting back into it after several years off...... what a way to balance life and all the crap that comes with being an adult !

I'm looking to get new shorts and want to know what anyone can recommend for padded shorts. I have a pair of Sugoi's right now. I'm still reading the forums to see what people recommend.

I'm also looking for a new saddle but am still reading all the posts on this ....

I love this site and have learned lots of new tips, etc.

thanks

:D

Trixiee
05-29-2003, 04:57 AM
Gals,

Any one know of any Canadian web-sites to order stuff? I ordered once from this site, and was happy with my new clothes, but man! Did it ever cost me! I think a $99.00 jacket ended up costing me $200.00 Canadian! Between our exchange rate and the duty I had to pay, it's just too expensive!

coolbeansbikes
05-29-2003, 07:28 AM
you can try Mountain Equipment Co-Op (www.mec.ca)

ridin a giant
05-30-2003, 03:29 AM
I odered stuff recently from mec.ca (Mountain Equipt. Co-op) and the quality is great. I ordered a cycling jersey, tank top and sports bra. It ships from BC and I'm in NB, it only took 5 days but one was a holiday !

The shipping was only $6.00 (regular mail).

They really have some nice stuff there, I don't think you'll be disappointed !

:)

Trixiee
06-01-2003, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the tip! I'm preparing for a 100 K ride next Sunday, I wonder how long it takes to ship? Riding with my Bro-in-Law and my dad, so wouldn't mind some baggies, instead of lycra!

Take care,

Trixiee

ridin a giant
06-01-2003, 05:31 AM
MEC has 2 shipping costs -

Parcel Post

3 -12 days is $6.00 (under $1500)

Priority Courier

2 - 5 days is $22.50 for your area (I assume your in Ontario).

Here is a toll free number you can call to find out about shipping

1-888-847-0770.

Good Luck

:)

assassin__x
06-01-2003, 09:29 AM
A year ago the shipping from MEC was free in Canada, how disapointing. $6 isn't too much, but there are just a few little things that I want to buy, hardly seems worth it to have them shipped.

I was really happy when MEC started carrying She-Beest stuff, I don't really care for their own brand of Jerseys (though they came out with some stuff that I might enjoy more this season). And just a warning, not all of the stuff that MEC carries is in their catalog or on their website. If you call or email them they should be able to give a more complete list on their stuff (as long as you narrow it down).