PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

AustinRider
02-28-2005, 10:56 PM
I would like to introduce myself. I am new to this forum and new to biking, though I have competed in sports all my life. I just got my road bike about 6 weeks ago...and all is has done here is rain since. My incentive to start biking was seeing all the riders in the west Austin area every day and fear of running leaving me crippled in my old age. So, though I only have about 60 miles and 4 rides logged, I do have a 3 day biking trip in Switzerland planned for early June. I will be nearly 45 at the time of the trip and we will be doing about 30 miles/day for 3 days. I have been a runner for years with one marathon under my belt at age 40 and I am pretty fit to begin with. So, does anyone think I am crazy to undertake such a trip while being such a novice? )I have fallen twice, while standing still, because....i couldn't unclip my 2nd foot...just lost my balance! Anyhow, I have read lots of posts and have already learned a lot. I look forward to learning even more and hopefully contributing to others in the future.

jobob
03-01-2005, 02:47 AM
Hello, and welcome. Nope, you're not crazy - no more so than any of us, anyhow ;)

You have a great fitness base already, and as you keep riding you'll become more accustomed to clipping in/clipping out, and whatever klutz-itude you're experiencing will go away (trust me).

nuthatch
03-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Absolutely not crazy! You are going to have so much fun on your trip - and don't forget, an 'eventful' adventure is more memorable (and makes better stories when you come home :D ) Welcome to the forum!

skibum
03-01-2005, 05:39 AM
Not crazy at all! I was where you are now this time last year -- lots of running and maybe get out once a month during the summer to ride 10 miles. My incentive to get out and ride more was a trip to the Tour de France. So, I just started running less and riding more. I fell a couple of times getting used to the clipless pedals. But by the time the trip rolled around, I was much more comfortable on the bike and I did fine. I'm sure you will do great and will have a wonderful time.

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on how things go.

MomOnBike
03-01-2005, 07:23 AM
I say Go For It. You'll have a good reason to ride - just call it training.

And remember - you regret those things you didn't do MUCH more than the things you did. (Generally :eek: )

SadieKate
03-01-2005, 07:44 AM
So, does anyone think I am crazy to undertake such a trip while being such a novice? )
Heck, no! Haven't you noticed how many of us are in their f**ties? No time like the present to start! Based on 60 miles in 4 rides, you've got a good start and you certainly have the aerobic base. You just have to train the cycling muscles. Sounds like a wonderful ride.

I have fallen twice, while standing still, because....i couldn't unclip my 2nd foot...just lost my balance! It's just practice. Find a flat, untrafficed street and clip in, clip out, with each foot until you can do it without looking. Make it the focus of your ride rather than miles. The 10-or 15 minutes will pay off and you can go cyling into the sunset (urr, Alps).

I think it is Sally Edwards (tri athlete) who says something like "when was the last time you tried something for the first time?" Have fun and rubberside down!

CorsairMac
03-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Welcome to the Board Austin! Isn't this just an amazing place to be? If you get a chance, theres a thread under the open forum titled "getting to know you", gives you a chance to learn about us and if you are so inclined...tell us about you. If nothing else....its a Very entertaining reading for the next 45 mins or so! :p