PDA

View Full Version : "I thought I might..."

OakLeaf
03-17-2008, 08:55 AM
You read this on the Internet from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from the guy who says it happened to him, who if it's true probably didn't hear it himself, but heard it from the cop who took the accident report. So take it for what it's worth ;) but it was so outrageous I had to repeat it.

One of my riding buddies today said that yesterday, he'd gone out on the big local hammer-fest (I skip that one!), and when he got to the designated re-group/turnaround point, there was a guy there who was saying he couldn't hang around too long because his knees were swelling up.

He'd had multiple surgeries, it emerged, that were the result of being hit by a car. He'd been going 28 mph and pulled into the right-turn bay, and had just begun braking for the turn when he was rear-ended by a 72-year-old driver. Hit so hard that he went over the windshield, and his bike went under the car.

The cop who arrived on the scene asked the driver, "Didn't you see him?"
"Yes, I saw him."
"Well, :confused: were you trying to hit him???"

The driver responds:

"I thought I might miss him."

Becky
03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow. Just wow.

Stay safe out there, ladies.

Geonz
03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
The appalling thing is that I'm willing to bet that the driver didn't face any consequences for that overt and admitted disregard for another human's life.

bbyparit
04-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I was hit last Sunday 03/30/08. I haven't recieved the pollice report yet, but the driver told the officer that he DID see me. He got a ticket. I don't know what for yet.

Basically I was going south, driver was going north.. driver wanted to turn onto a side street which would make him cross my path.. I tapped my brakes and tried to make eye contact, there was a glare on the windshield so I didnt see his face.. but he stopped his car.. no blinker.. so I proceed.. then there he comes at me. I thought .. wow.. what is he doing?? As slow as we were going, I thought.. I'll just plop over onto his hood when we hit... no way... I flew straight up into the air and came down head first into his windshield.

He got a ticket. I got 122 stiches to my face.

I want to know what he was thinking.. but it really doesnt matter because nothing would be acceptable ya know?

http://jrmints.com/blog/?p=1
That link will take you to my memory of the incident... the photos are linked in from there... they are gory gory gory... so don't look if you can't handle blood. :)

The good news is nothing was broken.. but his windshield and my bike. :(

Paula

OakLeaf
04-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Ow Paula! That is one h3!! of a first post!! Welcome to TE, sorry to hear about your accident but very glad it wasn't worse! Heal up quick!

mimitabby
04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Paula, welcome to TE and thanks for sharing your blog with us.
I guess skin is just no match for a windshield!