PDA

View Full Version : Shorty-shorts?

Jennifer Gallow
02-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Spring is springing and the daily rides and lovely weekend jaunts are beginning. And, already, the tan lines are becoming obnoxious.

I am looking for a nice pair of real shorty-shorts that are comfy for long rides .... something with a 3- or 5-inch inseam. I have a pair of Terrys that I can't stand for more than 20 miles or so, and a pair of Fox shorts that are good up to around 50 miles. My good long distance shorts are all longer inseams and thus, the mid-thigh tan line that doesn't look as nice in a bikini (and hey, I work hard for those legs, I wanna show 'em off!). Anybody have a shorty pair that they like for long distances, 100-150 miles or so?

SadieKate
02-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Check out the SSS shorts from Shebeest. They're a bit shorter though maybe not short enough. I sure like the new Shebeest chamois. Shebeest may make an even shorter version.

Call the ladies at TE, they (especially Susan) have given me really, really good advice.

emily_in_nc
02-28-2005, 09:21 AM
I mentioned these in another thread, but I like the Performance Ultras. They're short and have a elastic, molded chamois like much more expensive shorts but are very reasonably priced. You can pick up two pairs for less than the price of one pair of some shorts, and I find them to be the most comfy I've worn. Check out my review on www.girlbike.com and you can see how short they are on me (I'm 5'2"). I would wear them for a century and plan to come May!

Good luck,
Emily

Jennifer Gallow
02-28-2005, 11:18 AM
I have been contemplating the SSS shorts for some time ... I may give them a try.

As for the Performance Ultras ... they might do the trick as well. Emily writes a compelling review. And on my 5'11'' body, the length might be just what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the recommendations!

sarahfixit
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Ive always loved my performance classics. 5 inch inseam, not very heavy but not see-through ;)

caligurl
03-01-2005, 07:11 AM
i wear the performance ultras... and find them very comfortable... i'm another shorty... so i won't buy shorts with long inseams! (even so.. i push the shorts up in the summer!)

slinkedog
03-02-2005, 09:49 AM
If you look on Team Estrogen's store site (link at the bottom of this page) they carry some shorty-shorts. The Descente Bliss short and the Shebeest RPM have shorter inseams (I think they're 5"). Also, PI's Sugar Short has a 4.5 or 5" inseam, as well.

emily_in_nc
03-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Here's a real deal on some Hind shorty shorts:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19244&subcategory_ID=1220

Strangely, I couldn't find the Ultra shorts at all - wonder if they're discontinued? If so, I am glad I bought three pairs last year!

Emily in NC

photosRphun
03-03-2005, 05:02 AM
do these shorty shorts ride up while riding say 25 miles or so? i've not worn biking shorts before and am ready to order some. still trying to decide WHAT to order and do not know. i live on the coast and it gets very hot here in the summer. just concerned about the heat and short "ride up". :)

DeniseGoldberg
03-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Wow - I'm amazed at how many people like short biking shorts. I tried a pair of short (inseam) shorts and absolutely hated the feel of them. I'm sticking with my Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts - with a 7" inseam.

And no, I'm really not tall, only 5'5". I use a serious amount of sunscreen, but I still end up with a shorts line - which I'm quite happy to just ignore.

I guess that just goes to show how much a personal preference this is!

photosRphun
03-03-2005, 05:36 AM
i've never worn any of the biking shorts so that's why i was asking! i'm actually 5'8" so they may tend to ease up my leg while i'm riding. my question is - do the shorter shorts have a tendency to do this? :confused:

DeniseGoldberg
03-03-2005, 05:52 AM
...so they may tend to ease up my leg while i'm riding.
I've never had that problem with the Pearl Izumi's. I suspect that has to do more with the construction of the short than with the length - so you may see differences in the different brands.

photosRphun
03-03-2005, 06:24 AM
that makes sense! so much to learn in so little time! :D

CorsairMac
03-03-2005, 07:09 AM
I've never had a problem with bike shorts riding up. Now baggies - whole nother story. Once again there wasn't an option when I first started riding bikes, I bought mens shorts. I'm interested in trying the shorty shorts but I usually just roll my shorts up a few turns and achieve the same thing. Since I don't swim, tan lines aren't really something I think about anyway.

Irulan
03-03-2005, 07:22 AM
I don't like the shorties because they have a tendency to crawl up around the little soft part on my inner thigh ( sounds so much nicer than "flab")

As for tan lines, I relish them. Flaunt them. Wear them proudly: after all you are out on the bike!! What is the point of biker legs if not to show you are a biker?

Irulan

photosRphun
03-03-2005, 07:25 AM
i live at the beach so tan lines are a big part of my life. :D i spend a lot of time outdoors in the warmer months - walking at the beach after work, boogie boarding on the weekends, etc. and this year i will be riding my new bike outdoors! :)

after reading about the baggie shorts riding up, i sent back a pair that i ordered and had just received! that is one thing that i can't tolerate - creeping shorts!

lol, irulan - reread about the "flab" - i can totally identify with that!

slinkedog
03-03-2005, 08:15 AM
If you REALLY don't want tan lines, Zoot makes those swim briefs with a very tiny chamois in them for triathletes. They sell them here on TE. Here's a link:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=14527

Zoot also makes a 3" inseam tri short, but again, the chamois is very thin.

pedalfaster
03-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Another "no" vote for short shorts. I think if 90% of the women who wear them could see a back view while they pedal they would give them up. The bend in the knee while cycling is just, uhm, not very flattering. :eek:

I think they have their place:a) triathlons b) short-legged women c)women under the age of 20 who have not given birth and have body fat of less than 12%. :p

For me, cycling shorts are gear. Gear is driven by function. Bike shorts are designed to support and warm the big cycling muscles; longer shorts cover and protect the quads and hamstrings.

photosRphun
03-03-2005, 10:02 AM
well, i think pedalfaster just about settled THAT dilema for me. :cool:

SadieKate
03-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Not only do short shorts hit you on the inner thigh where it ain't so flattering, but your skin is then exposed and can chafe on the saddle or brush the poison oak or get owies during unexpected appts with the ground.

Jennifer Gallow
03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Of course, I'd rather have NO tan lines -- the sun is very unsafe! -- but it cannot be avoided if I want to ride in the daylight.

I never had problems with the shorties riding up, nor do I much care what I look like from the back when I'm pedaling (look at your own risk!). My legs are so long the 7-inch inseam shorts hit above mid-thigh, and the shorties are almost like the boy-short bikinis. I just can't find a pair that's comfortable, although I suspect I bought the Terry's a size too large.

Warm muscles aren't much of an issue in spring / summer as they are in the fall and winter -- I've already packed away the thermal jersey and tights. And if I'm in poison oak at all I've got bigger problems than the length of my shorts. :eek:

Thanks for all the input everybody! I think I'll try the Performance Ultras and maybe the Sugar Shorts. I like most of my PI stuff so they've earned a trial spot.

Happy weekend and happy riding!

sarahfixit
03-03-2005, 07:21 PM
I prefer the shorter inseams since I hate covered legs(in a modest way;) ). The have to be long enough to cover the seat though.

annie
03-04-2005, 05:45 AM
I have to cast a vote for the "shorties." That could be because I am on the short side at 5'1. I was a happy, happy person when the shorter inseam shorts became available! I tucked up the legs of the longer short for years! Not the most comfortable but I just do not like tan lines down by the knees. So it's partly a vanity thing - I can admit that. When you are short to begin with, wearing long shorts, either on or off the bike, makes it look like there is no upper leg at all!

If it was truly uncomfortable or caused problems while riding, I'd stay with the longer shorts but as long as they are long enough to keep my skin from rubbing on the saddle, it works. I've never had problems with any shorts, long or short, riding up, as long as they were decent shorts and fit correctly to begin with. If they get old enough so that the elastic doesn't keep them down, then it's time to dispose of them.

Pedalfaster, you've got me confused when you say >>I think if 90% of the women who wear them could see a back view while they pedal they would give them up. The bend in the knee while cycling is just, uhm, not very flattering. <<
Don't you see the bend of the knee whether the shorts are long or short inseams? :confused:

It seems to boil down to individual preferences, as do so many things. :) It is fun to read other views!

annie

doc
03-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Pearl Izumi makes a shorty that I love for spinning indoors. The don't ride up at all and they are super comfortable. The chamois is fairly thin so I'm not sure how they'd do for a long ride. I haven't tried them for more than an hour ride because I'm sensitive in front anyway. I have to wear a thicker chamois when riding outdoors/long distance.

pedalfaster
03-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Pedalfaster, you've got me confused when you say >>I think if 90% of the women who wear them could see a back view while they pedal they would give them up. The bend in the knee while cycling is just, uhm, not very flattering. <<
Don't you see the bend of the knee whether the shorts are long or short inseams? :confused:
annie

It's not actually the bend, but what that bending of the knee does to women's legs. Let's face it; *most* (but certainly not all) women carry of bit of fat on the thighs (probably some function of childbearing?).

When viewed from the side, with the knee bent, this little pocket of fat tends to bunch up (yeah that's the technical term :p ). With longer shorts, this spot is covered/contained. With shorter shorts it's not.

Now, if you are wearing short shorts for function, and not glamour, then who cares, right?

But, I will say that *some* (again not all) of the women I see wearing them are, uhm, well the type who DO care about how they look. And let's face it "Hey Alice, those shorts make your legs look fat" is not the kind of thing a friend will tell you on a ride :D :D :D

It was just a heads-up for those wanting to try short-shorts for the first time.

Wear what makes you happppy. :)

pedalfaster
03-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Ever have those great thoughts in the shower? :p

I was thinking about this thread after posting.

I was thinking how any woman who is willing to throw her leg over a bike and go out in public, dressed in clown-bright colors, lycra, and shoes that make her walk like a duck, pretty much has to have a sense of humor or a healthy self-esteem. Both probably.

So just remember ladies: even the "coolest" bike racer/rider still looks like a big freakin' dork to 99% of the civilians (non-biking public) out there.

If you started cycling for the fashion...well you picked the wrong sport! :D :D :D

Ride on.....

photosRphun
03-04-2005, 09:23 AM
i'm sitting here and can't help but laugh at this thread. i'm wondering WHAT in the world we are even talking about - the roll of flab at the knees when the knees are bent? i can't wait to get home and look in the mirror as i bend my knees to see if i have this roll that everyone is discussing here! heaven forbid if i do! :eek:

I was thinking how any woman who is willing to throw her leg over a bike and go out in public, dressed in clown-bright colors, lycra, and shoes that make her walk like a duck, pretty much has to have a sense of humor or a healthy self-esteem. Both probably.

this made me crack up even more to get a visual here! thanks for the laughs today! :D :D

Irulan
03-04-2005, 10:16 AM
from what I hear from the guys, they like the rear view of lycra, and you can be assured they aren't looking at knees.....

~I

Dogmama
03-04-2005, 10:50 AM
from what I hear from the guys, they like the rear view of lycra, and you can be assured they aren't looking at knees.....

~I

Great excuse to start sprinting

Jennifer Gallow
03-04-2005, 11:03 AM
"Great excuse to start sprinting"

And don't think I haven't!!!

Dogmama
03-04-2005, 11:17 AM
The P.I. sugar shorts have a 4 inch seam & the attack shorts have a 5 inch seam. The sugar shorts are 6 panels & don't look like the padding is all that great, but the attack shorts are 8 panels & more substantial. The best part - TE has the attack shorts on sale @ 20% off! The bad part -they only have L and XL left. If L or XL is your size - they are a great deal.

doc
03-04-2005, 12:02 PM
The P.I. sugar shorts have a 4 inch seam & the attack shorts have a 5 inch seam. The sugar shorts are 6 panels & don't look like the padding is all that great, but the attack shorts are 8 panels & more substantial. The best part - TE has the attack shorts on sale @ 20% off! The bad part -they only have L and XL left. If L or XL is your size - they are a great deal.

I have both. The attack shorts are great and tons of padding but the sugar shorts are wonderful too. The padding is thin for those who like it that way or as I mentioned in my other note, an hour in spin class. Plus for those worried about the sausage look where the elastic hits the leg, PI's elastics are gentle.

I'm with Irulan. I have heard men rave about women in lycra. I've never heard them complain about it.

Irulan
03-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Plus for those worried about the sausage look where the elastic hits the leg, PI's elastics are gentle.

"the sausage look".

Is that better or worse than "inner thigh flab"?
:p
~Irulan

pedalfaster
03-04-2005, 01:40 PM

~I

So true.
Women are waaay more critical of their bodies than men are...

Men are pretty much just happy if you are female and on a bike!

doc
03-04-2005, 02:57 PM
So true.
Women are waaay more critical of their bodies than men are...

Men are pretty much just happy if you are female and on a bike!

I have a good joke to go along with that:

How to win over a woman: Wine her, dine her, tell her you love her, tell her she's beautiful, meet her parents, socialize with her brother, surprise her with silly gifts, look deep into her eyes, cry with her, do something you hate just because you know she loves it, etc etc etc

How to win over a man: Show up naked, bring wings, don't block the TV

halfbit
03-06-2005, 10:34 AM
While everyone is on the topic of shorts.....I was casting about for a new pair and saw the Donna shorts for $150 :eek: Has anyone tried these? Are they worth the gold?

SadieKate
03-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Regarding the rear view conversation: we polled the men on our ride yesterday and there was a general consensus that they weren't looking at the backs of our knees. They were too gentlemanly to describe what they were looking at but they were willing to say what they weren't looking at! :p

pedalfaster
03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately, the men I ride with aren't so, ahem, charitable.
Racer snobs! :p

Perhaps I just need to find a new riding group....

SadieKate
03-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Have they checked out women racers lately? They aren't 0% body fat. They may be lean but they aren't anorexic either. Plus, if you get too lean you don't jiggle where they want you to jiggle. Tell them to grow up, learn to both appreciate real women and manners. I also ride with racers but only the courteous ones. They should save their lack of manners for the race course. Yeah, find a better class of friend.

pedalfaster
03-07-2005, 03:07 PM
I also ride with racers but only the courteous ones. They should save their lack of manners for the race course. Yeah, find a better class of friend.

Meow! I'm gonna tell them you said that :D :D :D

Courteous Racers, is that like Jumbo Shrimp? :p

Food fight!

Seriously, I'll keep da' boys, warts and all. I kinda feel like the fly on the men's locker room wall. I don't always like what I hear, but it sure keeps life interesting!