PDA

View Full Version : Sarah & Bubba tried to kill me!

Veronica
02-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Well... maybe not.

Yesterday we rode at Rockville, a small city owned park with legal single track! Not something you find much of in the Bay Area. There is none at Black Diamond Mines where Thom and I normally ride, and just a little bit on Mount Diablo.

The riders are Sarah and Bubba, Sue ( a friend of theirs), Steve ( a friend of Sue's and a local), Thom and I. The weather is a little dicey. It's overcast but not raining yet.

Why is it nearly every mountain bike ride starts off with a killer climb? You know the kind that is tough when you're warmed up, but is just insane when you're starting out? Anyway, Rockville has one of those. There are two sections that are basically rock faces and Steve says the right line is up and over the faces. Okay... - I don't make it over either. Then you come to a pretty steep section that is strewn with rocks the size of grapefuits to volleyballs. This part I do. The trail then evens out for a bit and goes around a small pond. We start up another climb and there are just amazing views. It's beautiful even though the sky is gray. Everything is so green and sort of mist enshrouded.

About this time we hear from Sue, who's running a little late. She's in the parking lot and Sarah tells her where to meet us. We then get on some single track that winds its way around the top of this particular hill. It's beautiful. There are wildflowers everywhere - purple, white and yellow all mixed up. I decide the light is not good enough for pictures and to just enjoy it.

It's descent time. Steve warns us that this is a tricky descent with some water breaks. I didn't find it too bad. It wasn't as gnarly as a descent I did last week out at Black Diamond. Steve tells us the next section has a few rocks and which way to ride them. I don't negotiate either. That's okay. You don't get better if you don't challenge yourself.

We meet up with Sue and I guess Steve decides it's rock garden time. AND, it begins to rain. We ride a beautiful section of single track through some trees and then the rocks start. From here on I spend about 10 feet on my bike, walk ten feet, ride ten feet, walk ten feet. You get the idea. I've stopped clipping in with my right foot because I'm spending so much time walking.

We finish one section of this and start down another one (even worse.) Sarah and Bill are behind me and they decide to go over to the fire road. Wise Sarah and Bill. I should have turned around and joined them. But hey, I'm here to learn, so I keep doing my ride a little, walk a little routine. I come up on a couple of rocks and I realize I'm not going to make it over them. I put my right foot down and it slides down the rock under my bike and I topple over to my right with left foot still clipped in. I hit the rock with the upper half of my right shin HARD. My legs are all tangled up in my bike. The left foot is still clipped in. My right foot is out the other side of the bike.

I untangle myself, stand up and want to scream. It hurts. It's just a mondo bruise, but it hurts. I'm thinking where's the f***ing road. I seldom use that word. I have to be pretty upset to even think it. I can't tell how far the road is to my right, so I start limping my way back down the trail.

Thom discovers I'm not with Sarah and Bill and starts back to look for me. Poor guy. He sees me and hollers over asking if I'm okay and I don't respond. I'm trying to come up with a response of, "Yeah I'll live. Nothing's broken, but it hurts and I am done. I don't want to ride my bike anymore today. Whisk out your magic lamp and get me down to the parking lot because I don't want to ride anymore. And I really want you to come give me a hug because somehow that makes everything better. I know I have to ride down to the parking lot, but I don't want to." But I can't articulate all that. So he runs over to me, thinking something is really wrong. Note to self - next time answer husband so he doesn't freak out. Thom walks my bike over to the fire road, which I ride back down to the parking lot. Wincing in pain every time I have to pedal.

It's not until I'm home that I discover that I have a big bruise on my left knee from hitting the bike, and snake bites and a big bruise from the chain ring on my left ankle.

We will go back to Rockville and I will try the rock garden stuff again. Just not so much of it. I like to ride my bike. :p

Poor Sarah and Bill did not get any cookies. I had chocolate chip and oatmeal cranberry. Maybe next time.

V.

Melody
02-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Veronica, OW! I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse. I'm not nearly as adventurous as you :) (Unless you count dodging zooming cars that pass me on my commute to work) ;)

Mel

SadieKate
02-28-2005, 08:21 AM
V! I was so embarrassed yesterday! I didn't know Steve and I didn't know he was going to lead us into all the gnarly stuff (it got worse after you left). I was afraid you were going to post this and now you'll scare off Kim. All that lovely singletrack we rode before Sue showed up is the type of stuff we were going to ride. Even that long downhill would have been off the list. The icky climb at the beginning was going to be it and since it is so short it doesn't really matter. Just between us girls, I talked to Bubba about taking a bit more lead. I think I pretty clearly stated to him that I was disoriented and needed him or Steve to choose the route and then he kept complaining that Steve was taking us into the rocks, but he NEVER got in front. So, he's got some bruises (though invisible) about the size of yours. I also told him that when we're on a ride that's getting disorganized by the minute with more and more challenging weather that the conversation was to stick to the ride so that the rest of us weren't freezing our butts off while they talked other stuff (girls, don't EVER let anyone say that women talk more than men). Needless to say I went home with a bit of steam coming out my ears. Boy, was I choosing my words carefully during the discussion. I am so sorry!

And, yes, learn to answer hubby quickly when you've fallen. I think my falls age Bubba faster than his own. A couple years ago, I went over the wall at China Camp and he said "I'm only 54 and you're making me feel 104." So, I've learned to start talking immediately upon taking in sufficient oxygen.

What can I do to make it up to you and Thom?

:(
SK

Veronica
02-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Oh gosh no need to make it up. I was enjoying - in a maschiostic way something I knew was really challenging. The bruises will heal. I'm playing it for all it's worth with my students. They'll be extra good for the day. :D

We'll convince Kim to go. It's really beautiful and the fire trails and non rock garden single track are quite manageable.

V.

SadieKate
02-28-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm playing it for all it's worth with my students. They'll be extra good for the day. :D
V.

Oooh, good move! Maybe you can just keep your feet up on the desk all day and get them to serve you lunch.

aka_kim
02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
I was afraid you were going to post this and now you'll scare off Kim. Uh, yeah! That ride was supposed to be easy.

Well, I'm not scared off for good. The (ahem, not legal) singletrack I did a few weeks ago was very fun, so I know "easy" singletrack does exist.

Sorry about your day V.

SadieKate
02-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Steve was invited by Sue so we didn't know anything about him except that he's pres of the location mtb club, RATS - Rockville Alternative Transportation Society. Turns out he rode a single speed over EVERYTHING! Just the fact that he was riding a singlespeed should have been our clue that we should have set our own route. I think he really wanted to show us his local gem. I told Sue that if he shows up for the next ride he has to stay in back or take a separate group that wants to do black diamond stuff.

Veronica
02-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks. We were really having fun until I fell. I think if it hadn't been raining and I could have sat a few minutes, I'd probably have been happier and would have kept riding the regular stuff. I'm not used to falling. :p

Yeah, I think Steve wanted to show us the hardest stuff. A little bit would have been fun. Just that - not so fun.

There's harder?!?! Count me out of that for awhile.

V.

SadieKate
02-28-2005, 09:30 AM
After Yellow's hill abuse on Saturday and then the Rockville fiasco, I'm actually looking forward to today when we practice S&M :D which means "shot and movie" day in our household. I get my shot about midafternoon and then go home, tuck myself in bed, Bubba fixes me a nice bland dinner (yum) and we watch a movie. With luck, I'll only get a very low grade fever and momentary nausea. Tonight it means that my knees will get plenty of Vitamin I and rest. Wow, it sounds heavenly! :)

By the way, I'm especially disappointed that I missed those cookies. That's two times in a row.

Petunia
02-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, it sounds like I missed out on an eventful day at Rockville! I am glad everybody is okay. You know, next time you should take a nurse with you.

I just got registered on the forum and am still trying to figure out how this all works. So, please be patient with by ignorance. Sarah informed me that "petunia" was still available, so I had to act fast. You know how popular that nickname is!

SadieKate
02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey, it's Nurse Jenny! You can see pictures of her on one of Mt Diablo posts. Jo and V managed to take some nice shots of her though V's (or Thom's) are rather foggy. :D

http://www.tandemhearts.com/bike/diablo-1/diablo_01.html

CorsairMac
03-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the board petunia! Don't worry - we were all newbies once too.....

V: so sorry about the fall hun....nothing worse than a hard ride, lousy weather and then a fall! I think a martini with strawberries is in order to speed the healing! ;) PS: You never mentioned you were into Cyclocross V! :p

Veronica
03-26-2005, 12:32 PM
The one and only picture I took that day.
V.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/bike/diablo-2/sarah-at-rockville.jpg

SadieKate
03-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Another good picture - colors, panorama and all.

Plus, it shows my wrists hanging out of that darn jersey. Oh, Irulan, we need to talk! That is an XL Giordana jersey, special ordered, and look at those stupid sleeves on vertically-challenged me. Heavy, winter fabric that you'd only want to wear in cold weather, so why would they design it to leave 2 inches of bare skin above your gloves? Fortunately, it has a flat seam in black thread right around the biceps which would be a perfect place to insert a band of heavy black jersey material. Guess I better get you PM'd, Irulan.

aka_kim
03-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Wait! Yes, I think I do see evil intent in Sarah's smile, she was plotting to kill you, Veronica.

SadieKate
03-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Can't you see all the evil rocks lurking in the grass?