PDA

View Full Version : Some West coast TE women are heading East...

MM_QFC!
03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
...this August for the Empire State AIDS Ride (8/10-8/16). I've done this ride in 2006 and '07 and invite any/all who are interested in joining us this year. I've done AIDS rides across the Northwest and in Alaska too and this ride is unique in that it keeps the overhead costs down (limited to 100 riders) so as to guarantee that our beneficiaries receive a minimum of 82%% of funds. The ride director is a rider too, so the care and concerns of the riders are paramount; the support crew is the best I've ever experienced, the scenery is spectacular and all of it compels me to return across the country this summer.
Someday I'd love to ride for the pure enjoyment of it, but I lost my brother to AIDS and am committed to preventing it from devastating our world even more. So I ride and fundraise to support the breakthrough research at the AIDS Research Institute at the Univ of California, San Francisco.

If you're interested in riding or have any questions, please PM me for more information, ok? Thanks!
Mary

P.S. I shared the article below on another thread recently...fyi:

Thought I'd share the press we got today in the UCSF publication; the AIDS Research Institute at UCSF is our ride beneficiary again this year...
Tailwinds!
Mary

UCSF Today
NEWS

Wednesday, 05 March '08

Two Women Prepare for Empire State AIDS Ride in Memory of their Brothers

By Jeff Sheehy

Many types of events have sprung up over the years to support the fight against HIV/AIDS — walks, marathons, and long distance bike rides.
Two women from Seattle were standing next to each other at the starting line on one of the first AIDS bike rides from Vancouver to Seattle in 1997, when one looked at the photo card hanging from a lanyard around the other’s neck and said, “I know you’re riding for your brother. So am I.”

The two dedicated women from the Seattle area, Tracy Daugherty and Mary Harding, lost their brothers, Bret and Peter, to AIDS in the mid-1990s.

That brief verbal exchange started a lasting friendship and a commitment to fighting HIV/AIDS that not only honored their brothers, but also turned ordinary bicycles and the will of two women into potent weapons against the disease that had robbed them of their beloved siblings.

A decade later, having ridden up and down parts of both coasts and having raised thousands of dollars for a great many worthy beneficiaries, including UCSF’s AIDS Research Institute (ARI), they visualize their brothers up on some cloud giggling at them and wondering just how long these ladies are going to keep this up.

With Mary’s son and Tracy’s daughter and son helping out as support crew members for this year’s ride, not only are they keeping up, but they are inspiring another generation to pick up the torch -- a source of pride, but bittersweet because this fight is tragically still so far from over.

Riding again this August in the 560-mile Empire State AIDS Ride from Niagara Falls to the foot of Manhattan and riding to support UCSF’s AIDS Research Institute’s Breakthrough Fund, Mary and Tracy’s team, the ARI Breakthrough Riders, are looking for a few good folks to join them.

The Empire State AIDS Ride, limited to only 100 riders, is by far the best one that Mary and Tracy have participated in—and they should know, having ridden all over North America on many different rides. Eighty percent of the funds raised go to beneficiaries—a critical point if one knows the somewhat checkered history of AIDS bike rides. The Empire State AIDS Ride was created by a rider for riders, so its safe, comfortable and fun.

“This ride guarantees a week you will never forget,” Harding said. “It is intimate, in part due to the 100-rider limit. They provide all the support you will need along the route, including ‘SAG’ cars to pick you up if you need to quit for the day, great food, lots of liquids, bike mechanics, massage therapists, medics, and friends you will make for life.”

“You will return feeling so incredible in body, spirit, and heart. You will meet amazing people and leave with pride for truly having made a difference,” Daugherty said.

Each rider must raise a minimum of $3,500 and cover the cost of transportation to and from New York.

In addition, organizers are working to secure a gift match for a challenge between the ARI Breakthrough Riders raising money for UCSF and a team raising money for Harvard.

To register or to get more information, visit the Empire State AIDS Ride site:
http://empirestateaidsride.org/

mimitabby
03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
nice picture! I'm not sure I'm ready to ride in that weather, but i wish you all the best!
and how cool that they did an article about you!

MM_QFC!
03-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks, Mimi...that's right, you're a Jersey girl! The weather has been fine for us...plus, the ride director seems to find where all of the great little ice cream places are for strategically-inserted rest stops! She even had a gelato cart in camp last year, as she got a Finger Lakes business to treat us to an extra special dessert one night - yum!

Trek420
03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
MM, just saw this link on the ALC website if you need costume stuff

http://broadwaycares.stores.yahoo.net/rr365.html

ALC 6 registration is filled and closed so everyone .... go do this ride :)

DebW
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Anyone familiar with this ride?

http://www.charitytreks.org/

melissam
03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
ALC 6 registration is filled and closed ....

Yup, registration for ALC 6 is definitely filled & closed. So's registration for ALC 7! ;)

-- Melissa (ducking and running for cover)

PS MM_QFC, great write up. Do you have an online page where we can donate and help you with fundraising?

MM_QFC!
03-12-2008, 06:30 PM
MM, just saw this link on the ALC website if you need costume stuff

http://broadwaycares.stores.yahoo.net/rr365.html

ALC 6 registration is filled and closed so everyone .... go do this ride :)

HA! Thanks, Trek and no worries, I've got piles of ribbons and ribbon-ware from years past...gotta be festive on red dress day, doncha know! And how is it that the guys are usually more spectacularly outfitted than us women?? :eek:

MM_QFC!
03-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Yup, registration for ALC 6 is definitely filled & closed. So's registration for ALC 7! ;)

-- Melissa (ducking and running for cover)

PS MM_QFC, great write up. Do you have an online page where we can donate and help you with fundraising?

aw, Trek's gentle - she won't use her awesome martial arts powers to hurt you...

Thanks, Melissa and yes, I've added the link to my page on my signature below. Happy training and tailwinds to you on this year's ALC too!

Trek420
03-12-2008, 06:47 PM
aw, Trek's gentle - she won't use her awesome martial arts powers to hurt you...

Yep Mel, I lost track because .... just how many of these have I participated in? :p :) Have a blast on your first ALC. Ducks, does a forward roll and covers 'cause you'll ride every mile, probably won't even cross train as I often do.

We want pictures after .... and a group shot of all of our TE gals and ... a daily podcast .... we want live streaming video from the helmet cam ... we want ....

Aw, just go have a great time, raise money, ride fast, be safe and ... look fabulous :D

KnottedYet
03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
We want pictures after .... and a group shot of all of our TE gals and ... a daily podcast .... we want live streaming video from the helmet cam ... we want ....

As I seem to recall, I was told I would get one text message a day and no phone calls during a certain someone's ALC ride last year... eh-hem!

Trek420
03-12-2008, 08:07 PM
On the ride some go through cell phone/internet withdrawl. You can't charge your phone or it's hard to. You can not plug into anywhere on the crew/ride grid.

The services are laid out to handle the load the crew which is really like a moving village needs. So we understand that if anyone plugs into that it could bring the whole thing down.

For a small fee I will list the super top secret places you can charge your cell phone that everybody knows about so that you can call or text your peeps. :D Or install a pedal powered generator. Or unplug, enjoy the ride, we'll hear about it later.

But even knowing that I arrived in LA with barely enough bars to call or text and tell Knott I was done. :o

Also TE gals there is generally a super top secret safety video showing that nobody knows about that's BEFORE the first showing that everyone knows about if you want to get started on Day 0.

melissam
03-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Hey Trek,

You are a wealth of ALC information! I've actually been thinking about the logistics of recharging. My cellphone lasts two days tops on a charge, even if I don't talk on it. I have a Garmin Edge that needs to be recharged.

Do I need either? Not really. But it'd sure be nice to have a cell phone for the ride, just in case something happens.

The Garmin is less necessary, but it'd be nice to "record" the routes for each day of the ride.

Any recommendations on recharging facilities or portable rechargers (that won't take up too much room or be too heavy) would be much appreciated.

-- Melissa

wavedancer
03-17-2008, 06:02 AM
My brother got me one of these (http://www.solio.com/charger/explore-solio/solio-hybrid-1000.php) for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to try it out, but it is light weight and would easily clip onto a Camelback or bike bag to recharge.

Trek420
03-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey Trek,

You are a wealth of ALC information! /QUOTE]

Why thank you :D

[QUOTE=melissam;296099] My cellphone lasts two days tops on a charge, even if I don't talk on it.

I changed cell phones to an LG model with about 14 days standby time, 10 hour talk time. Left it off unless in use. Still ran low till I found the top secret charging areas everyone knows about.

It was brand new and I don't think I'd fully charged it.

You really won't need it while riding, there's crew everywhere. While the car you wave down might not be able to stop they will radio who can .... I find it nice to "unplug" for the week so left it off while ride

But you'll want to call home and friends at night.

I really don't see the neeeeeed of the Garmin. The route's well signed, you'll have maps.

MM_QFC!
03-17-2008, 08:07 AM
I agree w/Trek - you'll have no need of phone while on the road, as the support crews have the communications set-up for you. I usually turn my phone off, but have it with me - just in case there's a reason I want to make or receive calls at a stop. Then turn it on each night to check messages and check in with folks. Our ESAR ride has had a "no signal" stretch in an area between the Finger Lakes and the Catskill mtns (we Washington-staters call those 'hills' tho!), so it was quite the funny scene at the 1st rest stop one morning, when people turned on their cell phones and got a signal, so everyone - riders, crew all - had their phones to their ear in every direction! Also, the power outlets on the poles of the covered shelter at the rest stop park, had phones/chargers hanging from every one! Same scene in the evenings, as our ride uses state parks and campgrounds, so the restroom outlets were shared and everyone just stacked up their stuff to be charged, so we could plug in the next after each finished...funny sight, but commonplace nowadays.
I agree re: Garmin also...you'll have signs, cue sheets, maps and crew to guide you along the whole ride route, so the Garmin isn't really necessary. It'll probably be most useful to you during training, but alot of things aren't really needed when you're riding the actual event (that is, unless you have and use the cadence and/or HRM functions).

melissam
03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't neeeeeeeed the Garmin, but I do use it to track my heartrate and cadence (except I lost my cadence magnet during yesterday's ride). I guess I could switch out and rely on my polar to track heartrate during the ride.

I don't use the Garmin to look at routes while riding; it records the ride info (elevation, heartrate, cadence, speed) and I can view it on the map. I thought it would be cool to have that info for the AIDS/Lifecycle ride. Not a necessity, just a really cool thing to have recorded for posterity. (If you're a geek like me.) ;)

OTOH, there's something nice about being unleashed electronically for a week.

wavedancer, thanks for the link to the Solio site. That could be just the answer if I decide to stay plugged in during the Ride.

-- Melissa