PDA

View Full Version : first century, please advise

kimberly
02-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi ladies, I'm training for a mini-tri and my first century in late April. You were all so helpful with my tri questions that I would like some recommendations for this first century.
1. Shorts. I wear and am happy with my Pearl Izumi Attack shorts on longer rides, but I need another pair. Any reason to spend the extra on P.I. Ultrasensor or microsensor shorts at $80 and $119 respectively? Does anyone have shorts that they wear on long rides that they absolutely love! I believe that "buy the best I can afford" is probably true and I have a drawer full of cheap, unwearable shorts to prove it. Please ladies, your favorites?
2. Butt-butter. Does it really help? Will I need it for a century and another 60 miles the next day? Do I really want to "butter" my butt?
3. Aerobars! I really want some for speed and also for for comfort. I'm hoping it may help with some shoulder pain that I can't seem to shake. I also like the idea of more hand positions and of course... more speed. Any recommendations for aerobars for entry level tri's and centuries. Entry level please, I'm only a year into all this gear.
4. Food. The century will be well-staffed along the way with food and water/sports drinks. I'm finding on longer rides (50 miles+) I seem to do o.k. with bananas and watered down gatorade. I've used gells a few times but I would just rather eat real food (bananas) then squeeze goo into my mouth. Any favorites out there? Suggestions, Opinions?
5. This is the most important for me...I should have made it #1. Eye Protection. I wear Rx glasses and REALLY need them. They turn dark with the amount of sun they are exposed to but I'm thinking of getting a pair of cycling sun-glasses and have the lenses made to my Rx. It will probably cost a bundle. Does anyone out there cycle with Rx cycle-or sports specific sunglasses? What kind? Are they worthwhile?

That's all for now. Thanks again ladies, I don't know what I would do without the timely advice and humor that I find here! Kimberly

Veronica
02-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Shorts - I like Sugois Ultrafino. They're expensive and I'm not real keen on the contrast stitching they now have. But I like the fit and the pad.

Aerobars - Thom put Sedas on the tandem and quite likes them. He says they do take a bit of practice to use. He rode with them on his single for a while before moving them to the tandem.

Chamos Butt'r - sub 50 mile rides I don't usually bother. More than that, I put it on the edge of the chamois. For long days back to back I use it. Always use it on the tandem though, because it's not as comfortable a setup.

V.

SadieKate
02-26-2005, 07:14 AM
I like both the PI shorts you've listed. Yes, shorts are critical to your happiness. I also like Castelli.

I agree on Chamois Butt'r. I don't usually use it under 50 or so miles, but if I doing many continuous days of training I may use it every time. Do whatever works for you.

Food and Gatorade -- whatever works, you're willing to eat and can digest. You may want to do a little comparison of energy drinks for the types of sugars and electrolytes. As the weather gets hot you may find that youi want to switch drinks and/or food for digestibility or just because somethings taste better.

I'll be keeping on eye on the Rx glasses question because Bubba wants some also and we need to figure out what to get.

CorsairMac
02-26-2005, 09:23 AM
One of the brevet riders on bikejournal recommended wearing 2 pairs of shorts. He said to him it was more comfortable than butter.

DeniseGoldberg
02-26-2005, 12:18 PM
I've worn Pearl Izumi ultrasensor shorts for years and been very happy with them. I've tried other brands of shorts on, but somehow the fit hasn't felt right - so I'm sticking with my PIs!

On the chamois butt'r front - I've never used it, haven't felt a need yet. Even on long days (50 to 100 miles), no problem with just my normal shorts and no extra lube on my skin.

Let's see, food... bananas and peanut butter work for me, plus I usually have Gatorade in my water bottle (and water in my camelbak). I also carry energy bars. My favorite bars lately are Pria bars and Luna bars. I'd recommend trying the different flavors ahead of time rather than being out on a long ride with food that is hard to swallow because you don't like the taste.

--- Denise

Trek420
02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
kimberly asks: "1. Shorts. Please ladies, your favorites?"

can hardly go wrong with PI, and then there's the ethereal shorts/saddle chemistry. some riders go as far as "these shorts with this saddle, these with that one". Buy the best you can afford.

2. "Do I really want to "butter" my butt?" technicaly you butter your shorts...which butter your butt ;-) I uses Assos (no pun intended) on most rides over 20 miles. Try different stuff.

3. "Aerobars!" can't help you there, never used them, I worry I would not get to the brakes in time if needed but then I don' race so......

4. "Food.Suggestions, Opinions?" I just think you train your stomach as well as the rest of you, don't want to change it drasticly during an event.

I like oatmeal before a long ride and no or less coffee, lots of folks have pre-post ride traditions like Spazz, why Red gatorade???

During a ride I go for bland stuff, bagles, bananas, oranges, avoid sweets and grease but after....outa my way, I'm heading in ;-)

:cool: :) :rolleyes:

skibum
02-26-2005, 04:36 PM
The PI Attack shorts are my favorites. I have worn them for several centuries and have never had any troubles with comfort or chafing.

I've never found a need to use the chamois butt'r. But, if you find you are getting discomfort or chafing during your training rides, you may want to give it a try. I know quite a few people who swear by it!

For food, I usually carry some energy bars. I've done ok with gels too. Some of my other favorites are peanut butter sandwiches and payday candy bars.

emily_in_nc
02-28-2005, 09:11 AM
I like Performance Ultra shorts for women. Ultra comfy (to me) and very reasonable, especially compared to Pearl Izumis and others of that ilk. See my review on www.girlbike.com. I would wear them on a metric or full century without batting an eye.

I use Chamois Butt'r religiously on all rides longer than about 20-25 miles. It really seems to help with chafing, though eventually wears off if the ride is long or sweaty enough!

What event are you doing at the end of April? Here in NC, I presume? I'm doing the Tarwheel Century in Elizabeth City the first Sat. in May. This will be my third year in a row for that one. It's flat, well supported, wonderful food, and a lot of fun. Good luck with your tri and first century!

Emily

P.S. It's a longshot, but are you the Kimberly who did the WOW ride in summer '03? A lawyer who works in Durham? If so, hi! I did the WOW ride that summer (and last, when it moved to the Duke campus area). I rode a Terry Isis the summer of '03, and you were just starting out cycling.

caligurl
02-28-2005, 09:33 AM
another vote for the performance ultra's.. i love them!

i use chamois butt'r...

i've never had aerobars.. so can't comment..

i overate like a little piggie at my first century! that's cuz hubby told me to make sure i eat and not worry about calories... i took his advice to heart! lol i actually ate way more calories than i burned riding.. but i didn't bonk! i also kept an extra water bottle with gatorade and drank that more than i did water i think... (our rest stops were every 20ish miles! :eek: )

i wear contacts and sunglasses.. so can't help on the Rx

pedalfaster
02-28-2005, 01:41 PM
1.Favorite Shorts: Voler (www.velowear.com). The women's and the Tri have nice minimal padding (good for tri and mtb) but the Canterra pad in the "mens" shorts is nice for longer road rides.

2.Chamois Butt'r: Just remember that "butt butter" is for chafing . It won't solve bike-fit or saddle issues. If chafing is indeed your problem, go for the lube. I find that I might need a little lube on longer rides at the beginning of the season. By May/June I have (close your eyes if you are squeamish :p )
sort of these callosous (sp?) on my sit-bones. Yeah TMI....

3. Aerobars: No opinions on brands. See what your LBS can do for you. Just remember to practice riding in them before your event. Make sure that you are smooth and steady. Use good common sense on the century...NO aerobar-use in the pace line please!

4. Food: I'm with you on the real-food thing. Gel is for racing. On a supported century eat whatever your stomach can handle. I like to stick with bland/not greasy too. Bananas, Fig Newtons, pretzles (salt!). Later in the ride, perhaps some fruit or 1/2 a PBJ. Carry a bar and/or gel "just in case" and be sure to drink something with sugar/calories (I like watered-down Gatorade).

5.Eyes: I use disposable contact lenses with cycling glasses. I have a few friends who have sprung for the sport-specific glasses...big $$$ but worth it in their opinion. Try to work with your optometrist on this. They may be aware of brands and deals that the popular cycling mail-order places are not.

Good luck and have fun!