PDA

View Full Version : Cycle America / Pacific Coast tour

aka_kim
02-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Has anyone been on a tour with Cycle America before? If you have, or know someone who has, what did you/they think?

I'm specifically interested in their Pacific Coast combo, 3 weeks from Anacortes to San Francisco. Anyone done this route, with or without this company?

Kim

DeniseGoldberg
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
...from Anacortes to San Francisco.

I don't have any experience with Cycle America, but I have ridden part of that route. I rode from Bellingham, WA south to Crescent City, CA on my (self-supported) Washington & Oregon Coast (http://denise1999nw.crazyguyonabike.com) tour back in 1999. The Oregon coast is an absolutely awesome place to ride. It's beautiful, and the coast road has a side benefit of having wide shoulders on the ocean side. I was heading north to south, so that made me very happy. The prevailing wind direction is to the south too - there was one day when I was absolutely flying down the rode (and I'm not a fast rider!), propelled by the wind. I stopped to watch some folks in the water, and I could barely stand up. If I had been heading northbound I have a sneaking suspicion I would have been sitting on the side of the road wondering whether to laugh or cry!

I've also ridden the section between Eureka and San Francisco. That was many years ago, on a Backroads trip. That section was beautiful too.