PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Shoe?

Melody
02-24-2005, 10:42 AM
So not to hijack the other thread, I'm starting this one.

I want to get a mtn bike style shoe (worn w/ my road bike). The pedals that came with my bike are SPD compatible and my requirement is that I must be able to walk in the shoe since I have many many stops during my commute.

The other issue I have is that I have big feet. I wear a 10.5-11 womens, wide if I wear a 10.5, sometimes wide if I wear an 11 (depending on the cut of the shoe).

What I would also like to do is not spend a million dollars. :cool: Any recommendations?

Mel who hates being a big person (*sigh*)

SadieKate
02-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Mel, can you give us a bit more info?

Are you going to use these shoes on your road bike and, if so, are you doing a lot of long miles or are you just commuting on it? If you are doing a lot of serious road miles you'll want a stiff sole. If you're doing more stopping and walking than long rides, a more comfortable "hybrid" shoe may be right. Tell us more about your riding style and we can come up with better recommendations. This is definitely an opinionated group!

Editing to clarify that you can walk in any mountain bike shoe but some are more "walkable" than others. The more they are like a hiking shoe the softer the sole and you may have problems if you ride long road rides because of the lack of stiffness in the sole. So, you have to find the right compromise.

Melody
02-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Mel, can you give us a bit more info?

Are you going to use these shoes on your road bike and, if so, are you doing a lot of long miles or are you just commuting on it? If you are doing a lot of serious road miles you'll want a stiff sole. If you're doing more stopping and walking than long rides, a more comfortable "hybrid" shoe may be right. Tell us more about your riding style and we can come up with better recommendations. This is definitely an opinionated group!

Yes, these are going to be used on the road bike (and eventually the mtn too probably). Also, I'm looking at doing both long miles (well, long for me :D)and commuting. I commute during the week. Right now I'm only doing about 6 miles a day to the shuttle station and back home, but eventually (i.e. in the next couple of weeks) is to ride all the way to work, which will turn out to be between 18 and 20 miles daily roundtrip.

On the weekends, we do some long rides and some short. Keep in mind that the 26 miles I rode last Sunday is the farthest I've ridden in a day ever. :) I'm slowly getting into shape though! :D

Editing to clarify that you can walk in any mountain bike shoe but some are more "walkable" than others. The more they are like a hiking shoe the softer the sole and you may have problems if you ride long road rides because of the lack of stiffness in the sole. So, you have to find the right compromise.

Well, I'm not planning on wearing the shoes the whole time. :) The walkability is so that we can ride, get lunch, ride some more, etc. without me tripping over myself. I have bad walking balance issues (due to the stroke) when I'm tired and have been known to trip over absolutely nothing. I've also got screwed up ankles from past breakage. My feet don't come down flat, so anything that makes it worse is not good. I need a good stable base in my shoe. Oh yeah, last thing, I'm also diabetic, so that may be a factor (not sure).

Mel

SadieKate
02-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Geez, you go girl! You're an inspiration.

Talk to your LBS about Lemond Wedges (shims). You may need these with your pedals. Anyone out there used them?

Melody
02-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Geez, you go girl! You're an inspiration.

Talk to your LBS about Lemond Wedges (shims). You may need these with your pedals. Anyone out there used them?

Sadie, THANK YOU! When I see the LBS I'll have to ask about them. :) I can't tell you the number of times I've nearly broken my ankles because of how steep my step is sometimes. :/

Mel

nuthatch
02-24-2005, 06:18 PM
I don't use the wedges but I've got women's Cannondale mountain shoes which were not expensive and plenty wide for my size 10+ very wide feet. They don't have a super rigid sole and are as easy as a hiking shoe to walk in. If these hadn't worked out, I was ready to try a men's shoe!

As far as clipless issues, I've been using those mini toe clips for commuting because they are so easy to slip in and out of as I stop and start when I commute to work but still give me some "pull" power on the upstroke. I tried some SPD style pedals that were platform on one side and clipless on the other but I think my softer sole made my feet hurt a bit in them - it may also have been just a "getting used to" the feel of the smaller pressure point of the cleat/pedal. I'm switching over to Candy C clipless pedals when I start commuting again in the spring - Shimano shoes were recommended to me as a stiffer soled mountain shoe and were also plenty wide when I tried a pair on (MO38s). I've got balance issues also, so I'm trying to be brave!

Mel, it sounds like you've set some great goals for yourself! Be careful and enjoy the ride!

Melody
02-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Yup. I bought my first pair of clipless shoes. They're Shimano size 43 and they fit great. I spent an hour or so clipping, unclipping, adjusting, [repeat] :P Now I'm waiting to go outside later, find a quiet spot and fall a few times :rolleyes:

Mel

pedalfaster
02-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Melody,

Congrats!!!!

And remember, we have all fallen over, still clipped-in. It's kind of a cyclists' rite-of-passage.

Have fun! :)

CorsairMac
02-26-2005, 09:16 AM
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=1827

Congrats Melody - wow, new shoes, new journal, you go girl! I'm in the jersey buying stage right now - trying to get S/S jerseys Before the weather gets warm! *shakes head* and here I thought riding a bike would be simple! Anyway, the thread above is My first experience with clipless and all the wonderful support I got during my "break-in" period! Hope it helps!

DirtDiva
02-27-2005, 01:51 AM
Nice linkage CM. ;)

I went for a ride this afternoon after work and saw not one, but two people fall because they only got one pedal/got the wrong pedal unclipped. The first one looked ouchy - she fell on the pavement in the carpark. The second one fell into a bush - I'd have laughed if he'd been one of my friends, but it's a tad mean to laugh at strangers so I bit my tongue. Ah, that'll be me one day... :rolleyes:

CorsairMac
02-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Learned how to link from the best! With my eternal Gratitude! ;)

Melody
02-27-2005, 08:28 AM
Corsair, nice link :)

So yesterday was my frist day of using the clipless peddles. I went to a local school where I could practice clipping and unclipping while still pedalling to make sure I wouldn't unclip in the middle of a stroke while stand (can we say ouch?)

So, it looks like I got the tension settings just about right. :) I put some more oil on the pedals last night as part of my weekly maintenance on the bike thing so we'll see how things are today. I did a little over 11 miles yesterday and today we should do about the same.

What I can say is ow, I feel sore. Using the shoes/pedals/cleats are making me use muscles I didn't know existed. :D

Oh yeah, I didn't fall yesterday at all, but did have one scare. I was riding up an incline on a path that had a pole right in the middle of it. Near the top, I attempted unsuccessfully to unclip. Luckily I was going slow enough that I could grab the rail to my right to steady myself.

Mel the slow-slow-slow-poke-who-dislikes-inclines

photosRphun
02-27-2005, 08:32 AM
lol, mel but i will have some stories of my own to tell here shortly. i'm sitting on my couch staring at my bike now. i am waiting on the doc's aprroval for me to take my bike for its second spin and then i'm loading it on the back of the car to take to the LBS for clipless pedals. WOW! so stay tuned, i'm sure i will be right there with you saying ouchie about the muscles and whoa, that was a close one! :-)

Melody
02-27-2005, 08:43 AM
heh. Well, it was definately a trial by fire yesterday. Just don't do the path we did. :P

We have a friend, John, who came by yesterday to make sure he knew how to get to the new house we moved into a few months back. We were about to go on a short cruise, so he joined us.

He mentioned a paved trail that we'd probably like and we said "sure, let's go." Well, the trail was *great* (can't remember the name at the moment) however, getting there was adventurous.

John has a tendency to run stop signs. He _does_ slow down and will stop if he sees a car, but generally he goes through it. Plus, we had to cross a street. Instead of crossing at a light (at a busy intersection) he slowed down, waited for a break, and went through.

Now, I'm new at the clipless thing. I said "no way" and got off the bike and went over to the crosswalk and walked it across. Sad part is, this guy in a car nearly hit me anyway. :eek:

Eventually, we get to safe ground, but there was alot of clip in, ride, clip out, clip in, ride, clip out.

Clipless shoe trial-by-fire-or-car. ;)

Mel

Bike Goddess
03-09-2005, 07:44 AM
H Mel- You are an absolute inspiration to me! I'm so impressed by your commitment! You go girl!

Clipless will make a difference in your ability to climb. I would also recommend that if you don't have granny gears on your bike that you get them! I ride with a MTB set up- Shimano XT derailleur (11/34 geariing)and it has made hills much less formidable even when I am tired! Biking should be fun even if its challenging!

I look forward to hearing about your adventures down south (I live in Benicia- near Vallejo).
:D :D
Nancy

jobob
03-14-2005, 05:01 AM
Hi Melody -

Next time you pass the Outfitter and have the urge to look in ( it's hard to resist :) ), take a look at the Shimano sandals. The size 43-44 might be just right for you. They're 'mountain-bike' style, that is, the cleats are recessed and they're relatively easy to walk around in. Very nice to wear in the summer, and when it's cooler you can wear them with socks.

Shimano sandals are a look that some like, some don't. Lake also makes sandals but I've never tried them.

I would love my Shimano sandals but my feet are a bit on the narrow size so I need to wear a thick innersole along with them, which kindof-sortof-not really works, and I'd rather wear them w/o socks. I wish they made them in slightly narrower widths (say, women's medium width).

cyclingnewbie
03-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I have Look clipless pedals and a pair of Lake men's shoes. With my new bike, I was considering toe clips because I have a foot problem that makes my bike shoes less than comfortable and thought it would be nice to have the option of wearing my athletic shoes occasionally. For the record, I have not fallen because of my clipless pedals (yet!). My friend told me not to get the toe clips because the times he has fallen, it's been trying to get his foot out of the cage. This weekend, while test riding new bikes, I rode one with the toe clips and, in front of the LBS guy, rode up to him, stopped the bike, put my left foot on the ground, shifted my weight just the tiniest bit to put my other foot down, which did not come out of the toe clip, and fell over like a log. Very embarrassing and humiliating! Can't you just hear the thoughts in the guy's head? "Oh yeah; she needs a fancy, new road bike all right. Can't even stop the thing without falling over." Needless to say, I will stick with my clipless pedals and try not to humiliate myself again!

CorsairMac
03-14-2005, 12:26 PM
I had toe clips once....could NOT wait to get them off the bike. The whole fumbling trying to get my toe in after take off was just too much. I was so busy trying to flip the peddle and get my toe in that I wasn't looking UP to see where I was going. That was also 10 yrs ago. I'm clipless now and LOVE it. I don't even Look at the pedals now.....the shoe clips right in and gives me the power I need for take off without any fumbling. Clipless ROCKSSSSSSSSSS!! - or maybe RULESSSSSSS would be a better choice of words! :D

Melody
03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Hi Melody -

Next time you pass the Outfitter and have the urge to look in ( it's hard to resist :) ), take a look at the Shimano sandals. The size 43-44 might be just right for you. They're 'mountain-bike' style, that is, the cleats are recessed and they're relatively easy to walk around in. Very nice to wear in the summer, and when it's cooler you can wear them with socks.

I saw 'em. :) I just can't over the odd feeling of wearing sandles while biking. :P But I've got to say that I've gotten pretty comfortable with the clipless so far. :) I just have a hard time sometimes getting it to clip in. It can take a moment or two.

I had toe clips once....could NOT wait to get them off the bike.

heh. I'm the same way. :D I cannot stand toe clips and I've fallen several times while trying to use them. They are what caused my fear of falling while clipped in. :rolleyes:

Mel

Sparky
03-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Bought a pair of shimano sandals toward the end of last summer. I still have a bit of a phobia about my exposed toes, but the soles sort of curve up around the edges. It was wonerful to do a long ride and have cool feet. Another good thing about them is that it if happens to rain while you are riding you don't have to wear soggy socks.

psychavoc
03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Slight tangent. I went for a ride last weekend with a long, steady uphill climb (I hate em hate em hate em). At the top, I noticed that my little toe on my left foot was numb and had a pins and needles kinda feeling. Just my little toe - none of the others. It felt strange not being able to move it and having it stuck to my next little toe!!

So. Um. Does that mean my shoe was a bit too tight at the toe? Or was I just going crazy after a long uphill climb? :o

AmazonX42
03-19-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm only going to be on that bike in Ireland for 6 days, really. I am not a cycler... ok I don't own a bike. . . but who knows.

Can't I just get away with hiking boots? Or Nikes? I hope to walk around a bit and bike shoes are expensive. I'm all ready spending a lot of money on shorts, jerseys, helmet, jacket ect.

I have a similar problem too - Womens Size 11 and high instep.

LBTC
03-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Slight tangent. I went for a ride last weekend with a long, steady uphill climb (I hate em hate em hate em). At the top, I noticed that my little toe on my left foot was numb and had a pins and needles kinda feeling. Just my little toe - none of the others. It felt strange not being able to move it and having it stuck to my next little toe!!

So. Um. Does that mean my shoe was a bit too tight at the toe? Or was I just going crazy after a long uphill climb? :o

This actually could be because of your shoes, but may be because of your saddle or stem or riding position in general. Anything numb can be caused by a pinched nerve...if the saddle doesn't support your seat bones properly, that could be the problem. Or if you stem is at the wrong height / distance, it could have your upper body in a position that gets your nerves tweaked from the way you lean over.

ahhhhhhh, the mysteries of cycling!

Namaste,
~T~

Melody
03-19-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm only going to be on that bike in Ireland for 6 days, really. I am not a cycler... ok I don't own a bike. . . but who knows.

Amazon, it sounds like you don't need the bike shoes, but it really depends on the type of pedals on the bike. If it's platforms with toe clips, then nope, you don't need bike shoes. You can just use regular ones. However, if the bike has clipless pedals then you'll need bike shoes with the correct clips.

It sounds like you're borrowing/renting a bike. I'm guessing that if it's a rental it'll have platforms with toeclips so you won't need biking shoes.

Mel

AmazonX42
03-20-2005, 03:34 PM
YAYYYYYYYY! Thank you, mel!

I went to REI today and bought a lot of nice stuff (not shoes.) They have good prices on house brand stuff, sales on brand names, and they give you some of your money back at the end of the year. Whatever I didnt get there, I'll prolly order from the TE site.

Melody
03-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Amazon, I really like REI too. My hubby and I shop there quite a bit. :) We don't pick up alot of bike stuff there but we do pick up all kinds of other things. :D

Mel