PDA

View Full Version : suv w/a trailer vs me!

caligurl
02-23-2005, 07:19 AM
so last sunday hubby and i are out for a ride.... one of the roads we have to go on for a short while is 2 lane (well they are all 2 lane) but this one, the shoulders are completely gone from past rain. they literally break off just beyond the white line and then you either have a sharp drop or TONS of sand... you have to ride just to the left of the white line.

normally there's not too much traffic on this road.... hubby is always looking back and telling me what's coming.. so he says: truck, rv, rv, a break and another car. ok... they are always polite and move over, even if they don't slow down.

truck goes buy... camper (rv) goes by.... then nothing... all the sudden... slowly (thank gawd) there is this huge green suv right next to me (and no car coming in the opposite direction!) when i say right next to me.. i mean i could NOT have straightened my arm out completely to my left if i had wanted to! deep breaths (PANIC!) scream (yes!) look of utter and complete terror on my face! (i'm sure he saw it in his mirrors.. JERK! it wasn't bad enough it was a HUGE suv... cuz when that part gets by... here comes his very looooong trailer behind him!

i think the only thing that kept me from competely freaking and panicking (how do you spell that?) and crashing off into the sand was he was going very slow! and poor hubby.. behind me... tells me after that he just knew i was gonna freak and take both of us out!

JERK! (the driver.. not hubby!) and the worst part!?! i couldn't even take my frustrations out by flipping him off cuz i had my amfib claw gloves on! i mean... i did flip him off... but he doesn't know that cuz i only have 2 "fingers"....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

they only other time i've had a car come that close to me was a cop when i was a brand, brand new rider! (and he didn't even slow down... and to make that incident even worse.... it was on a four lane road and he could have gone to the other lane!)

Melody
02-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Ack! I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Mel

Shimpie
02-23-2005, 11:30 AM
ARRG! I especially hate trailers. They always seem to be on the edge of control. I'm glad you're fine, with the exception of some frayed nerves.

-Shimpie

cyclingnewbie
03-03-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm glad you were ok! That whole car thing freaks me out and keeps me off the roads and on the bike paths. None of the roads in my area have any shoulder at all. They are mostly two-lane country roads with 45-55 mph speed limits. Somebody blasting by six inches from me at fifty mph scares the #@!$ out of me! If I am forced out onto a road for some reason, I ride out in the right car tire track. That prevents cars from thinking they can sqeeze past me without going into the other lane. Mind you, they get very, very angry when they have to follow along behind me until they can pass, but at least they know they need to wait until they have more room. However, that doesn't prevent them from yelling at me or something as they go by. Yep; I'm a bike path girl!!

CorsairMac
03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Holy Moley thank goodness you're OK. And I agree on the chuckles with the lobsterclaw flipoff! Thank goodness most of my commute is bike trails but I have issues with the nice people stopping to let me cross the busy traffic lanes....without a Clue if there is any other traffic coming or not. Like today, and the woman got miffed when I didn't cross, even though the 2 lanes next to her had cars coming! :rolleyes: