View Full Version : DC Metro Area, Ladies - Bike to Work Day

F8th637
03-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Registration is now open and free!

Pick your Pit Stop to register:
http://www.waba.org/events/btwd/index.php

divingbiker
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I saw that today. I'm supposed to be off on May 16, so I can't decide whether I should work anyway and ride into DC, or to ride to Silver Spring to collect my t-shirt and water bottle and pretend I rode to work.

Would that be cheating???

7rider
03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh, puh-leeze, DB...you are the poster-woman for biking to work! Cheating on Bike to Work Day is not in your vocabulary!! You don't need a day.
That said...you always need a new t-shirt. So, bike to Silver Spring. Be there for 7:30-ish and we'll hook up! I'll introduce you to Mike from the Bicycle Place, who usually staffs a booth and gives away a bike or two and does minor mechanical tweaks. We'll gnosh on a banana. Swill some coffee. We'll do lunch (well...breakfast), dah-ling! ;) It'll be fabulous!

F8th637
03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes, totally do it for the free shwag! Especially the t-shirt!! :D

Possegal
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I could never manage to bike to my office from here. But I see that one of the pit stops is on my work 'campus' as it were. I could manage to bike from a friends house, so maybe I'll have to do that with him. :) Cheating yes, but really, I could never make it to my job from my house. Which really just says I either need a new house, or a new job.

HillSlugger
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for posting this; I need to put it on my calendar.

I'm hoping to get in my first commute of '08 this week. Wednesday is looking pretty good.

divingbiker
03-03-2008, 04:51 PM
So, bike to Silver Spring. Be there for 7:30-ish and we'll hook up! I'll introduce you to Mike from the Bicycle Place, who usually staffs a booth and gives away a bike or two and does minor mechanical tweaks. We'll gnosh on a banana. Swill some coffee. We'll do lunch (well...breakfast), dah-ling! ;) It'll be fabulous!

OK, it's a date! I'll sign up for the SS pit stop and meet you there!

Maybe I'll ride the Xtracycle and load up on groceries at Whole Foods on my way home...

7rider
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Oooohhh...this is hysterical!!! :D

I'm on line registering right now...and they say this next to the block for employer: "Employer (please spell out the full name of your organization)"
That is SOOO D.C. They probably get an alphabet soup of names and have no clue what half of them are!
EPA
AFS
NESDIS
NMFS
HUD
OAR

7rider
03-03-2008, 04:57 PM
OK, it's a date! I'll sign up for the SS pit stop and meet you there!

Maybe I'll ride the Xtracycle and load up on groceries at Whole Foods on my way home...

Yay!!!

F8th637
03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Oooohhh...this is hysterical!!! :D

I'm on line registering right now...and they say this next to the block for employer: "Employer (please spell out the full name of your organization)"
That is SOOO D.C. They probably get an alphabet soup of names and have no clue what half of them are!
EPA
AFS
NESDIS
NMFS
HUD
OAR

LOL That is so true! The number of acronyms that swirl around discussions makes my head spin sometimes. That's Washington DC for ya!

F8th637
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for posting this; I need to put it on my calendar.

I'm hoping to get in my first commute of '08 this week. Wednesday is looking pretty good.

Get it in before the highs this week start hitting 40s again. :( I should've commuted today. On Thursday there will be less wind than on Wednesday. I may have to consider. At least I got to do my first ride of the season on Sunday.

Possegal
03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
LOL That is so true! The number of acronyms that swirl around discussions makes my head spin sometimes. That's Washington DC for ya!

heck, half the time i have to say out loud where i work just so i can figure out its acronym. :) it was very tough when i first came to the feds, with the DoD first, they are the kings of the letters which make no sense. :)

and wasn't today's weather wonderful? i've been sick and am steroiding it to get over an asthma problem, but i had to go for a 5 mile walk just because of the weather, it was too much to not go out and enjoy it! haven't been on a bike, spin or road, in at least 2 months thanks to the lungs. but i plan to try that sometime this week!

divingbiker
03-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Hmmm...don't know if I'm registered or not. I got this message when I submitted my registration: For input string: "36555 "

7rider
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Hmmm...don't know if I'm registered or not. I got this message when I submitted my registration: For input string: "36555 "

I got that same message, but I just logged onto my Hotmail account and got a confirmation email that I'm registered, so I guess it's all okay...

tulip
03-04-2008, 04:28 AM
For five years, I commuted between my home in Prince Georges County my office in Alexandria. I led a group of mostly first-time commuters from my old town in PG to Freedom Plaza a few years ago on BTWD. There I met up with a friend and we continued on to Alexandria. It was great fun, and there were alot of people out riding their bikes, although some of them slowed this regular commuter considerably!

I haven't seen anything in Richmond. I'll find out and go along for the ride, and go to the grocery store like divingbiker:)

EDIT: Oh darn, I forgot! I'll be in France! ;)

HillSlugger
03-04-2008, 06:04 AM
OK, I'm registered; North Bethesda rally point.

I think I'm going to try commuting tomorrow, even though it'll probably be windy (I think the overnight rain is going to end early enough to make this possible). Maybe I'll do Friday also!

madscot13
03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
how does ride to graduation sound?! Yay!

( I do think I would look ultra cool riding down Wisconsin Ave in my cap and gown)

F8th637
03-22-2008, 01:37 PM
how does ride to graduation sound?! Yay!

( I do think I would look ultra cool riding down Wisconsin Ave in my cap and gown)

That would be really awesome!