PDA

View Full Version : Shoes

Carm
02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
I recently purchased a pair of Diadoro Geko MTB cycling shoes from Terry Cycling with the intention of using them on my Commuter Bike (toe clips) and Road bike (clip less) when I get one this spring. They told me this would be possible - however they came today and am wondering if I can use these shoes on a road bike. Any info would be much appreciated. Carmen

snapdragen
02-22-2005, 07:49 PM
What kind of pedals on the road bike?

DeniseGoldberg
02-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Carm -
Of course Snapdragon is right on target with her question about the pedals on your road bike... I use mountain bike shoes with all of my bikes, switched from road shoes & pedals years ago because I like to be able to walk when I get off of my bike without tripping on the cleats.

But that also means that the pedals that I put on my road bikes are really classified as mountain bike pedals. I use Speedplay Frog pedals because I like the free float I get with them.

--- Denise

Melody
02-23-2005, 10:00 AM
I use Speedplay Frog pedals because I like the free float I get with them.

Denise, do you know if the Speedplay Frogs can have one of those SPD platforms (for regular shoe pedalling) mounted on them? I know nothing about cyling shoes/pedals but want to start using them. My bianchi came with SPD clipless pedals, but I had them swappoed out (for now) with mountain bike toeclip pedals (with the clips pulled. They scare me.)

Mel

cruziegirl
02-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Carm, you should be able to use any mountain pedal/cleat combo. I have Diadora Chili Woman shoes, and have used both spd and Speedplay Frogs. If you're new to clipless, you may like the Frogs better, or there are also the Crank Bros - Eggbeaters or Candies. Jobob swears by her Eggbeaters.

I couldn't use the Frogs, I have a tendancy to turn my foot out when pedaling, so I kept clipping out accidently! :eek:

And remember - when you go clipless, the law says you must fall over 2 to 3 times, and one of those times must be at an intersection full of cars, so "civilians" can see you! :D
Yep, that's exactly it! The first time I went on a charity ride with my clipless pedals I was doing just fine. That is until I rode into one of the rest stops, unclipped but then somehow managed to clip back in, lost momentum and fell over right in front of about 40 people. Most embarassing. As I got up and dusted myself off about 39 of those 40 people said "Oh yeah, I've done something exactly like that." :D

massbikebabe
02-23-2005, 10:44 PM
I bought my Sidi's on sale...so can't return and now find they are a little snug.
Would like to stretch them just a bit...

karen

pedalfaster
02-24-2005, 04:26 AM
I bought my Sidi's on sale...so can't return and now find they are a little snug.
Would like to stretch them just a bit...

karen

Ohhh. So they are snug even with regular (thin) cycling socks?

Check the Sidi FAQ (http://www.sidiusa.com/tech/faq.html#2) .

They claim Lorica doesn't stretch. They also have tips on fitting Sidis, some good info. You might see if the shop will let you exchange for size. Even places that don't do refunds will usually do that.

Good luck!

Melody
02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Those plastic platforms that clip into SPDs are meant for test-riding. They are not really durable enough for actual riding. Some bike shops will give you a pair (or sell a pair for a few $$$) but in my experience they crack after a few months. I have never come across a pair for Speedplay Frogs.

These aren't the plastic disposable platforms, but instead, they're made of metal. An example of one type (that has toe clips) is at http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=347&subcategory_ID=5245.

There are other versions including without the clips.

What I've decided, I think, is I'm going to have the shop put the clipless peddles on and go with a platform, but also find a mountain bike shoe to use. Definately got to be able to walk on 'em since I commute via bike and there are _lots_ of stop signs from where I live and where the shuttle meets. :) The platforms aren't necessarily cheap, but will allow me to get used to using a biking shoe slowly. :)

Thank you to everyone. :)

Mel

eghammer
02-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Carm,
I'm using the Geckos on my mountain bike and on one of my road bikes and they work very well. I have SPD pedals on those 2 bikes. They are definitely the way to go if you want to be able to walk into stores, be a tourist on tour rides, go into a restaurant, etc. without putting on cleat covers and walking with your toes in the air.

pedalfaster
02-24-2005, 01:18 PM
These aren't the plastic disposable platforms, but instead, they're made of metal.

What I've decided, I think, is I'm going to have the shop put the clipless peddles on and go with a platform, but also find a mountain bike shoe to use. Definately got to be able to walk on 'em since I commute via bike and there are _lots_ of stop signs from where I live and where the shuttle meets. :) The platforms aren't necessarily cheap, but will allow me to get used to using a biking shoe slowly.

Mel

Thanks for clarifying. Customers ask us to leave the ones that come with the bike on frequently and, nine times out of ten, they are disappointed.

Hope you love the pedals when you get them! :)

Melody
02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for clarifying. Customers ask us to leave the ones that come with the bike on frequently and, nine times out of ten, they are disappointed.

Hope you love the pedals when you get them! :)

I hope so too. If nothing else, when I convert my mtn bike to clipless, I can put these on there when a friend wants to borrow the bike. :)

Thanks for the help :)

Mel who uses wayyy to many smilies :) :D