PDA

View Full Version : Quadrupedal -- 4-May

Thorn
03-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't normally "peddle" rides, but if you're in the midwest and you're looking for an early season challenge, mark your calendar for the Quadrupedal, Sunday 4-May in the Dodgeville area (SW Wisconsin). http://www.ichs.net/quadrupedal.html

Last year we only did the 55-miler as it was a little cold and rainy, but with almost 4500' of climb, it was still a solid workout. The organizer is the same as the Dairyland Dare so you're pretty much guaranteed a well-run ride along with his usual plotting of a scenic, hilly route. Since this isn't a timed ride, the...uh...err....testosterone doesn't seem to fly as much as at the Dairyland Dare or its eastern cousin ride, the Horrible Hilly Hundreds. Rest stops are more low key--animal crackers and homemade baked goods along with happy volunteers instead of energy gels.

Anyway, it isn't a ride that gets a lot of publicity, but it is a fun, challenging ride in, what I believe, is the prettiest area of the state. And proceeds go to the local no-kill animal shelter. What's not to like?

Beane
03-11-2008, 08:11 PM
thorn, are you doing it this year?

we did the 35 last year but between the hills (i'm a major hill slug) and weather i did not enjoy myself. i'm sure that i'm in better shape now than i was at this time last year, but sometimes I have a hard time justifying paying for a ride when it might turn out that I just didn't feel like riding that day, y'know?

Thorn
03-12-2008, 04:38 AM
We're signed up for it and are planning on doing about 67mi. Yes, they don't have such a distance, but we know we can do the 55 and the 80 is too far in those hills for us in spring. So, looking at the map from last year, it looks like we can follow the 100 for a while, go unsupported for 2 miles and end up back on the route. Time will tell if that is 2 miles on gravel.

But, I know what you're saying, last year was cold and windy. DH, who normally is a happy dude, got really cranky when we turned one of the last corners, into the wind and saw the long hill. Oooh, I'm glad he's normally a happy dude :eek: I have a feeling that if the weather forcast says cold and windy, we don't drive out. I like the challenge (oh, I'm a hill slug, but I like the feeling of accomplishment when I get to the top), but if a ride isn't fun, it isn't worth it.

I just like the cause. The ride, albiet low key, is well done, but they never get the turn out they deserve. They've tried moving it from the popular fall time frame to spring, only to get icky weather. Apparently, the Quadrupedal now shows up on the Wisport schedule as a "Gee, we don't have a race for you, but perhaps you'd like the challenge of this ride". So, that might help them get more people and actually make a little money.

mtbdarby
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh, this looks interesting! I'll keep my eye on this and the weather - looks like the 55 might be in my spring range but my legs are way behind from last year.

madisongrrl
04-19-2008, 07:07 AM
They've tried moving it from the popular fall time frame to spring, only to get icky weather. Apparently, the Quadrupedal now shows up on the Wisport schedule as a "Gee, we don't have a race for you, but perhaps you'd like the challenge of this ride". So, that might help them get more people and actually make a little money.

That's cool that it's on the Wisport schedule. I've wanted to do this ride for a long time, but it seems to always falls on the weekend of the Iola, WI WORS opener. I wish the Quadrupedal would happen on a non-WORS weekend because they might pull in more people that way. WORS usually has about 700 racers plus family and friends.