PDA

View Full Version : Sportbra rash

slinkedog
02-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Okay, I have another "personal" question. When I ride, I wear a sportsbra and after a few workouts have a nasty, pimply rash on my ribs under my boobs. I need a fairly supportive bra, but the one I have I got to do aerobics in, so I think maybe it's overkill. I wear a 36D. Any suggestions for something comfy, but pretty supportive?

SadieKate
02-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Is it the same bra that causes it every time? Different bras? Is this different than in the past so something like a detergent change could be causing it?

pedalfaster
02-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Not to diminish the efforts of our fine sponsors, but I find the best selection and advice for sports bras at Title 9 and Road Runner Sports (yes a running catalog!).

If this rash occurs with different bras, I think Sadiekate might be onto something. A latex allery perhaps? You could also try a topical solution like BodyGlide if you think the problem is just chaffing.

slinkedog
02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I only have one sports bra, so I don't know if it could be a detergent thing. I have no latex issues, at least, I've never had a reaction at the doctor's office or hospital. My bra has an elastic band around my ribs and it is kind of tight. I will check out the sites you mentioned and will try the body glide. That's a great idea i never thought of!! Thanks, Ladies!

snapdragen
02-21-2005, 06:18 PM
I like Moving Comfort's bras - current favorite is Melborne. It's supposed to be good for women who have chafing problems.

doc
02-22-2005, 03:03 AM
For good support, I know champion makes an underwire sports bra that I find pretty comfortable. The cheapest place to buy it is at onehanesplace.com Happy hunting.

DeniseGoldberg
02-22-2005, 05:47 AM
I usually buy of my sports bras from Title 9, but sometimes I'm looking for something from Champion that Title 9 doesn't carry. I've had good luck buying direct from Champion at www.championusa.com (http://www.championusa.com).

trigurl
02-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Slinkedog, is your bra cotton? It could be a heat rash, I have to have a cotton blend or no cotton, I wear a 36D also, when I run I usually wear 2 bras as I haven't found one with enough support.

I have a friend who is an excellent seamstress and we are working on designing a "real" supportive bra for "bustier" women. I have several different types of sports bras and I am trying to find the combination that best holds everything, I think I have it, so now we are trying to find the moisture wicking fabric - most of them we can't get our hands on tho. :mad:

I do want to try underarmor's sports bra before making a decision, it looks supportive BUT the problem with almost all of them are the straps, the bra will hold you up but then the straps let you flop all over. :rolleyes:

Let me know if ya'll have any ideas!!

Irulan
02-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Trigurl, I used to do a lot of product development for the outdoors industry, and I still work with softgoods. If you like, email me at work, and I might have some ideas on getting the fabrics you need

Irulan/Penny
info at specialtyoutdoors dot com

slinkedog
02-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Okay, this looks like the ultimate bra for busty women! I was looking at Title 9's site and WOW! I don't think I need anything like this since this is just for riding my bike, not running, but if I ever take up running, I'm getting one of these!!

http://www.title9sports.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=87&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=479&iProductID=87

My bra is cotton. It's a Champion bra. The only place I have a problem with is the elastic band around the ribs, under the boobs.

SadieKate
02-22-2005, 08:34 AM
My bra is cotton. It's a Champion bra. The only place I have a problem with is the elastic band around the ribs, under the boobs.

You may want to try something that wicks better, a microfiber. I wonder if the heat and moisture are getting trapped between the elastic band and you. Have you always had the problem with this bra?

In the summer, I will sometimes get a hive-like rash from the heat on my thighs. I dump some baby powder in my shorts :p until the problem goes away. My skin likes to be dry, dry, dry! I just look funny walking around with baby powder leaking out my shorts.

slinkedog
02-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I think that is probably the problem. I'm looking at the Moving Comfort line that Snapdragen recommended and they have a bra for my size that looks good. I think they may carry them at REI. I think I need to feel and try on before I buy, which is a drag since buying online is sooooo much easier!

administrator
02-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Title 9's "Last Resort" bra is actually the Enell bra -- unfortunately it isn't suitable for swimming in so it doesn't work for triathlon. If anyone happens to come across a very supportive (D-cup) t-back bra that can be used for all three events in a triathlon, we'd love to hear about it. We've been searching for quite some time now and haven't found anything workable yet...

SadieKate
02-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow! I can't imagine anything moving anywhere with this. Looks good for running but kind of overkill is you just want to bike. If they could make this swimmable and in some kind of fabric that could be shown to the public it would be great for tri.

Enell bra (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=4238)

Admin, thanks for looking out for us!

snapdragen
02-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi Slinke - REI does carry Moving Comfort, they don't always have what you want in stock though :(

Title Nine has a store in Palo Alto, but to be honest, I wasn't really impressed with it! I'll stick to their website or the Berkeley store.

Good luck!

(The last resort bra has always seemed a little frightening to me...... :eek: )

SadieKate
02-22-2005, 10:52 AM
(The last resort bra has always seemed a little frightening to me...... :eek: )

New movie -- Attack of the Killer Sports Bras!

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten stuck trying to take one off! :rolleyes:

trigurl
02-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Slinky, try underarmour! I like the looks of theirs and they are supposed to be great at moisturewicking, plus you can get pink, blue and other colors and they are reversible!!!!

Talk about getting stuck in a bra, sheesh, I make sure I go in the stall to take mine off! it is quite embarassing when they are wet and you try to take them off, I like the zipper fronts better :) but I still have to wear 2 no matter.

Irulan
02-22-2005, 11:54 AM
WAG's Bounce Free Bra (http://www.esportsbra.com/story.htm)

this one is made in my region, it's getting RAVE reviews. Mountain Gear carries it... TE, this is one you might want to look at.

http://www.mgear.com/item_images/mnfct/Common/Womens%20Athletic%20Group/m_640770_f04_wht.jpg

Irulan

SadieKate
02-22-2005, 12:08 PM
How is the double strap under the straps of a hydration pack? I can't stand lumps and bumps under the straps or under the pack itself. And, the one and only front zipper bra I have takes 4 hands to squish, tuck and zip :p . Funny, how there always seems to be a volunteer in the house. Ok, back to G-rated conversation. How 'bout the comfort of them 'ther double straps under a heavy pack?

SadieKate
02-22-2005, 12:12 PM
I was just crusing the site, Irulan. It looks great (even a print version) but it is a cotton blend. What do you think of the wicking? I haven't been happy with any sports bra made with cotton.

DeniseGoldberg
02-22-2005, 12:20 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten stuck trying to take one off! :rolleyes:

I thought I was just a klutz! It makes me feel good to hear that it's a more general problem.

Irulan
02-22-2005, 12:23 PM
LOL, I support them because they are local, but as a "barely A" I can hardly speak from experience. I would suggest you call Mountain Gear or Devi Outdoors, I'm sure the gal reps there would be able to answer that, or email the company.

Irulan/Penny

snapdragen
02-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Ah yes! The famous "Remove the Wet Sport Bra" dance. :D

slinkedog
02-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, Snapdragen, I just got back from REI and they didn't have the one I was interested in. However, I found a Hind one that I think will work out. The nice thing about REI is they have a 100% satisfaction guaranteed return policy, so if it doesn't work out, I can take it back.

http://www.activasports.com/cgi-bin/activa/activa/product.jsp?baseProdKey=ACHIL349&prfc=5&sc=CWV%2D04056&PartnerName=Overture%20SMX%20%28Inktomi%29

That's the one I got. The fabric is really soft and it comesdown further on my torso than my Champion one did. Hopefully this will take care of the problem!!

Thanks for all of your helpful input, Ladies! I really appreciate you guys!

SadieKate
02-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Looks like it lifts and separates, cross my heart! Give us a report!

slinkedog
02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I'll wear it tomorrow morning when I work out. I'll let you know how it performs!! :)

Veronica
02-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Okay so I'm reading this at work earlier today while my students are taking a a test. I had to quickly click away from Irulan's post. Fortunately, it's girls sitting near my computer.

V.

jobob
02-22-2005, 04:18 PM
but as a "barely A" I can hardly speak from experience Likewise.... I wear sports bras mainly for modesty's sake, there's basically nothing there to support :o :rolleyes:

- jo "at least that's one, er, two less things to sag in my old age" bob

Veronica
02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
This is the first time I've ever inadvertently added an extra o to your handle Jobob. :p

V.

SadieKate
02-22-2005, 04:30 PM
This is the first time I've ever inadvertently added an extra o to your handle Jobob. :p

Me, too! I just couldn't figure out how to politely say it. Well done, V. Uh, Jo . . . you may have a new moniker. Sorry!

Irulan
02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Okay so I'm reading this at work earlier today while my students are taking a a test. I had to quickly click away from Irulan's post. Fortunately, it's girls sitting near my computer.

V.

oh sorry! Under normal circumstances, I woudn't consider that photo questionable but in a school setting I know you have to be super careful. Sorry, V!!

penny

Veronica
02-22-2005, 06:26 PM
No problem. It's really not that risque - no more so than a swimsuit. Besides I really shouldn't be surfing at work. ;) Yeah, like that'll stop me.

I know most of my students have probably already been exposed to far more explicit things. I can't believe some of the movies that they are allowed to go to.

Mostly I was amused at my reaction. "Oops I've gone somewhere I shouldn't right now."

V.

jobob
02-22-2005, 09:11 PM
This is the first time I've ever inadvertently added an extra o to your handle Jobob. Well, if you then replace the j with an n you'll get one of my nicknames from jr. high. :p :p :p :p :p :p

oh, the angst....

nuthatch
02-23-2005, 03:51 AM
You guys are so reassuring! I thought I was the only one making furtive wet, slapping noises as I removed my sports bra in the women's bathroom at work! The zipped bra is a good idea - no more contortionist moves. :D

slinkedog
02-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Okay, I did my workout with evil Coach Troy this morning, and wore my new Hind bra (link to photo and info above). Putting it on can be a pain as the criss-cross straps and not unattachable. This bra also has 3 hook and eye closures in the back (like a standard bra), so you can't put this bra on backwards, hook it, turn it around and stick your arms through like you can with your regular bra because of the straps. However, I didn't find this to be a major problem because I was able to hook the bra with the closures in the back after putting the bra on. (I feel like this is getting incredibly wordy, but i don't know how else to explain it all!)

The bra does encapsulate your breasts, which is a nice change from my Champion bra. It does push them together a little in the middle, but I don't mind some cleavage. ;) The other thing I really liked about this bra is that it comes down further on the torso instead of having a tight band right under my breasts.

The fabric is very soft and the inner fabric has great wicking qualities. I was very comfortable in this bra. I will let you guys know how it washes up.

The only other negatives about this bra are: 1. it was not super supportive... I would definitely bounce some if I were running or doing aerobics in it. I haven't tried tightening down the back yet, though. 2. The straps are not adjustable. If you get the right fit, this probably won't be a problem, but it is nice to have adjustable straps.

All in all, I'm very happy so far. I'll wear it a few more times and give an update, if needed.

SadieKate
02-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Any rash? Though a brand new garment may not be as soft as a washed one.

slinkedog
02-23-2005, 08:10 AM
No rash so far. I'll wash it and see what happens. I'm also curious to see how fast it will dry.

Susan Otcenas
02-23-2005, 09:44 AM
TE, this is one you might want to look at.

Hello Ladies, Susan from TE here. Let me start by saying that I'm a 36D and have tested a ZILLION sports bras both for personal use (cycling, running and triathlon) as well as for potential inclusion on the website. Most of the bras we currently carry are A/B/light-C support.

Irulan, I received a bra to test from the Bounce Free folks and we opted not to carry it. Here's an excerpt from the review I sent her: "It’s primary failure point is the type of fabric being used, particularly in the shoulder strap and back support. This fabric is far too stretchy. Cinch the front up as far as you like , but you’ll still get too much give in the straps on the back. The result is stretch and bouncing of the breasts. A suggestion would be to either back the existing fabric with something with less give, or to change the fabric entirely to something less stretchy.....Because the bottom band is not very wide, and because its not adjustable, as one cinches up the double cup, the band tends to pull up and under the breasts. A snugger bottom band, with greater width (perhaps 1 ˝ inches) would help keep the band down and flat against the rib cage, even while the cups are cinched up."

I also have a Hind Motion Sensor Bra that I tested for TE. As has been previously mentioned it is NOT supportive enough for a 36D to run in. Waaaay too bouncy. Too much strecth in the shoulder straps and they are not adjustable.

I have another Hind Bra on the way for testing that looks like it has some serios potential. I can post my thoughts after I've had some experience with it.

The Enell Bra (I wear a size 2) is TRULY bounce free. It's also a BIG bra. You put it on like a vest, and lift and tuck your breasts into place as you hook the clasps. Ten, count 'em, TEN clasps on the size 2, even more as you work your way up in size (biggest is a size 8). But if you've tried everything else without success, give this one a try. Useless for triathlon, however, if that's your goal, since you can not swim in it.

I can HIGHLY recommend a sports bra made by Road Runner Sports (exclusive to Road Runner and it's sister company, Activa Sports) called the RRS Sportek Bra. If I could carry it on TE I would, because I refer people to Activa all the time! It's a pullover T-Back Bra. Outer fabric is Supplex, while the bra is fully lined with a mesh fabric that varies in tension depending upon placement in the bra. The difference in tensioning at the cup area reduces the uniboob effect and helps to keep the breasts separated. This bra is made in both an A/B version and C/D version which has more coverage over the front of the breasts and over the back. I have three of these and wear them all the time. As a 36D, I wear a medium.

I have been on a so-far fruitless quest for a tri bra. While there are numerous good tri bras out there for the a,b,small-C set, there isn't an equivalent for those wishing more support. Most of the problem lies with the fact the that super-fast drying fabrics don't provide enough support. The really supportive fabrics don't dry fast enough for use in triathlon. In a tri bra I want fast-drying, very supportive and no underwires, zippers or clasps to rub or chafe. Pick any TWO and you can find something. Want all three and you're out of luck. For triathlon I currently use the RRS because its supportive and is a pullover with no "hardware". It is ALWAYS still wet when I finish, but so far I've never chafed from it so this is an acceptable compromise for me. Still searching for the Holy Grail.

We continually provide feedback to all the manufacturers we buy from and we are always testing new items. If you have any suggestions you'd like to make, send 'em in and we'll take a look. My personal email address is susan@teamestrogen.com

Best,

Susan

trigurl
02-24-2005, 05:29 AM
Sadie, how did the bra work out? I have seen that one and thought about ordering it, its kinda expensive but if it works it will be well worth it.

I like that WAG also, similar to what we were thinking about making.

SadieKate
02-24-2005, 07:51 AM
It was slinkedog on the search for a solution. She gave a preliminary report up above. Sounds like so far, so good.

SadieKate

slinkedog
02-24-2005, 07:54 AM
It dried pretty fast, I guess. I put it out to dry at around 2:00 yesterday afternoon and it was still a little wet when I went to bed at 11:00. It's totally dry this morning.

I'm going to ride the trainer this afternoon while the kids are napping and I'll wear it. Then I'll give another rash report. ;)

slinkedog
02-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I wore it on Thursday for a very sweaty trainer session and again today on a road ride, and no rash in sight! It's a great bra for me for cycling. It was rather pricey ($50.00 at REI), but I'm willing to fork out a little for comfort's sake.

SadieKate
02-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Yeah!!! :D :D :D :D

halfbit
03-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I can see everyone here is really into sport bras, but to tell the truth, I still wear standard bras. I'm a D myself (32D), and wearing sport bras, I end up with me all bunched up, overheated and, :rolleyes: dare I say it, sweaty. Best fits I get are the Wacoal and lately tried Linaire, which worked out pretty good. I have a fair space between my two breasts and these brands give me the separation I need to stay comfortable. Wacoal makes a style that is a plain knit underwire that is pretty good for the summer. I think it comes with underwire or not, although being a D, I ALWAYS get an underwire. The witchy part is that Wacoal is not inexpensive - they run $30-50, depending. Hold up really well, though, and last ages, no matter what. I spent YEARS never seeming to fit into a bra decently until I found Wacoal...I'm a big believer in getting the right clothes for the right sport, but when it comes to bras, it's GOTTA FIT RIGHT! :D

bikerchic
03-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Wow I thought I was the only one who had big boobs! You know how it is you always notice on other people the things you wish you had.....and I've always been very envious of smaller busted women. Everything seems to fit them better and lets face it most of the sport clothing lines seem to be made for smaller women who have no boobs or so it seems to me. :rolleyes:

halfbit said:

Best fits I get are the Wacoal and lately tried Linaire, which worked out pretty good. I have a fair space between my two breasts and these brands give me the separation I need to stay comfortable. Wacoal makes a style that is a plain knit underwire that is pretty good for the summer. I think it comes with underwire or not, although being a D, I ALWAYS get an underwire. The witchy part is that Wacoal is not inexpensive - they run $30-50, depending. Hold up really well, though, and last ages, no matter what. I spent YEARS never seeming to fit into a bra decently until I found Wacoal...I'm a big believer in getting the right clothes for the right sport, but when it comes to bras, it's GOTTA FIT RIGHT!

Do you have a link to these makers? I would really be interested in finding where I could get them in my area they sound comfy.

One thing I have always heard and didn't see it mentioned in this thread (unless I missed it) is to never add fabric softener to your Lycra or sports bras in the wash and to always hang them to dry. It keeps them from wicking properly.

On the rash thing; being big breasted I occasionally get a rash which is a form of *gasp* jock itch and it gets real nasty real fast. I notice it starts with those itchy red bumps and usually after a long ride or work out at the gym. I always make sure I wear clean sport bras and am freshly showered before and after my workout/ride. Anyway for me the only thing that clears it up is to us a topical cream like Tenactin and it's recommended to use it for several days even after the rash has cleared up. It's such a pain! Anyone else have this problem?

Susan thanks for the information it's good to know TE is cutting edge of products and I'll be looking into some of those you mentioned.

spazzdog
03-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Just a couple for cents from the world of the "lesser endowed"...

I got chafing rash on occasion back when I was running. Eliminated it by putting on "Runners Lube" or "Body Glide" under the bra in the areas that rashed up.

spazz

reenybeeny
03-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Hi there...I am a 34DD and also do triathlons--so I have thought a lot about supportive sports bras!

I have the Enell bra, and have used it for 3 triathlons (2 Olympic, 1 sprint)--I haven't found anything that works better. You definitely can swim in it. (I called them to ask them, and they confirmed this.) True, it doesn't dry as fast as some of the most technical fabrics...so you feel wet for a while on the bike. But it is VERY supportive. On the other hand, it has so much compression that I don't really like working out in it...I feel too squeezed.

The best sports bra that I have found is by Champion: It is something like the Friction Free™ Seamless Full Support Sports Bra.

Most of the other ones out there don't have enough support--but let me know if you find something good!

Susan Otcenas
04-05-2005, 02:43 PM
As promised, I'm posting some comments on the latest sports bra I tested for TE. This IS a bra we've decided to carry. It's called the Nexus Bra by Hind. You can see it here:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=13663

Overall, I'm very impressed with this bra. It's a zip-front, so it's easy to get on. (Sometimes t-back pullovers are hard to get on and off when you're larger-chested :) ) It has a "locking" zipper, which means that once you point the zipper-pull in the down direction, the zipper won't spontaneously pull itself apart. There's also an inner flap that covers the underside of the zipper to avoid contact with your skin. The cups are molded and do a nice job of preventing the uniboob look. The bra is quite supportive (not as supportive as the Enell, but NOTHING is as supportive as an Enell). I'm comfortable both running and cycling it in.

I would probably have preferred that the bra have just a touch more coverage (ie. come up just a bit higher in the front) but I think I'm a bit of a fuddy duddy. :)

This past weekend, a group from TE participated in a sprint triathlon at Oregon State University. I decided to wear test the bra for the event to see how it would perform for tri use. I give it 9 out of 10 stars. I had total freedom of movement on the swim, it stayed in place perfectly through all three events, and I was very comfortable and chafe free on the run.

It loses one star because it was still wet at the end of the event.

Here's a picture of Marjon (left), me (center) and Molly (right) from Saturday. Marjon & Molly both work here as well, and Saturday was the 1st tri ever for both of them. They had a blast - I suspect it won't be their last!

Susan

Adventure Girl
04-05-2005, 03:26 PM
This past weekend, a group from TE participated in a sprint triathlon at Oregon State University.When you said that you guys wouldn't be coming to the Cinderella becuase it "conflicts with a triathlon that most of the staff will be doing that weekend", I thought you were going to be vendors--not participants!! Yahooooo for the TE gang! :D

slinkedog
04-06-2005, 07:06 AM
Susan, thanks for the update and the new find. I think I may have to get one because the other, old bra I have is about ready for the rag bag.

Congrats on the tri! You guys look so strong... and you definitely do not have a uniboob in that picture!! :)

CorsairMac
04-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Go TE Team Go!!....Tnx for the update on the test Susan! It's probably just about time for me to replace my sports bras too.

Corsair "I hate replacing stuff" Mac