PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading components

ninerfan
02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey folks,

Long time lurker, rare poster. I currently have a Trek 1000 wsd, my first road bike, that I really love. But I have started training for my first century (team in training!) and when around other riders have started to get bike envy (as if the photos around here haven't caused enough of that anyway :D).

Basically, if one were looking at upgrading components, where would one begin in terms of what to replace first (assuming kind of a piecemeal approach) and what would this process be like cost wise? Funds are extremely limited (I am a law student) but I do have a birthday coming up. I really know nothing about this but I figured I'm at the right place to get a lesson!

Thanks

Eden
02-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking the most bang-for-your-buck upgrade is wheels. Most bikes, expcept for the super high end ones, come with pretty mediocre wheelsets. You'll probably be able to lose the most weight there and have smoother running hubs. The drawback to that is that good wheelsets are generally pretty expensive.

I quizzed my husband about other parts and we came up with - saddle, unless you've already replaced it. Stock saddles are often pretty awful. Rear derailleur - having a nicer rear derailleur can make your shifting better. Brakes - a lot of bikes come with the cheapest possible brakes too. I know that on my old Fuji I really hated the brake set it came with, they were grabby, not at all smooth.

indysteel
02-27-2008, 04:50 AM
I agree with Eden that a wheel upgrade is a good place to start. You might look into getting a set of handbuilt wheels, which depending on the build can be cheaper than factory wheelsets but still provide a marked improvement in ride quality, weight, etc. An upgraded rear derailleur will also likely improve your shifting.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily encourage you to upgrade any of your other components just to upgrade. Instead, I would suggest either saving your pennies for a new bike down the road or waiting until something actually wears out--which it will with enough riding. This is coming from someone who upgraded things on her own bike. I don't regret doing it, but over time, I've gotten a better sense of just how expensive it is to maintain my bike. It adds up.

Good luck with your century!

smilingcat
02-27-2008, 07:18 AM
most definitly the wheels. You can get a pair of really nice whels on e-bay. look for xero lite XR-1. You should be able to pick it up for $230.00 for the pair. And its comparable to Rolf prima wheels costing $800.00.

I have both sets and I'm bit disappointed with Rolf wheels because the XR-1 wheels feel as smooth as the Rolf etc etc..

If you are looking for performance then next item is the rear deraillure.
but if you are looking for bit more comfort or need more comfort go for the saddle.

ditto on what Eden and Indysteel said.

smilingcat

mimitabby
02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Is there something about your bike that you don't like? (like you don't have a good enough climbing gear; your handlebars don't quite fit the way you want)

That's generally how I've upgraded, because I was unhappy or not fitting well with a part of my bike.

And hey, for a cheap makeover, get some new tires and handlebar tape! they come in colors and really change the look of your bike!

Zen
02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Isn't envy one of the seven deadly sins?

Mimi said it. if you aren't having problems why change anything? There will always be someone with a nicer/better/prettier/newer___________than yours.

yours is fine :)