PDA

View Full Version : Oh, to be in Austin

Zen
02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Not only is the music good, now they have this (http://www.austin360.com/search/content/recreation/stories/2008/02/0214bikeshop.html)
Is this old news?

Aggie_Ama
02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Not too old, a couple weeks. We also have really good food, nice weather year round (well us natives think so) and the beautiful hill country. :D:D

uforgot
02-23-2008, 01:56 AM
That looks terrific! I always wondered why a lot of bike shops tend to cater to the 20 something racer. You would think that a smart marketing strategy would be to cater to the recreational rider. Especially those of us that have been working 25+ years and can more easily afford it than those just starting out. Look how many 40+ and 50+ women are on this board with several bikes to boot! This looks like a very smart business move to me. I know that I'm going to try to get to Austin. Well, I was planning on it anyway. I wanted to check out the climate and biking. Of course with a couple of inches of ice outside, I really want to pack up NOW!

Trek420
02-23-2008, 08:16 AM
We also have really good food, nice weather year round (well us natives think so) and the beautiful hill country. :D:D

Spazzdog here who was born and raised in Texas now living in CA says it's the best part of TX. Food, music, the river, lakes and hills. I would like to visit someday. I've never been to TX :(

KnottedYet
02-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Ok, TE road trip when Mellow Johnny's opens.

sgtiger
02-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Yippee skippee! DH has a cousin in Austin with whom we could crash. I've always wanted to meet J(Dh's cousin). Everyone tells me she like a female version of BIAK.:eek:

Sheesh
02-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Mr. Sheesh wants a job working there!

KnottedYet
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I'd really like to see Austin, and now I have an *important* reason to go there!

And if MJ's is gonna be renting bikes, well, say "Howdy!"

Aggie_Ama
02-23-2008, 08:32 PM
I will keep you all posted for it's opening. :D:D

Running Mommy
02-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Hmmm... We still haven't made it out to Liberty Hill to visit our friends. So now I guess I have a GOOD excuse! :D

Aggie_Ama
02-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Riding with me was not a good enough excuse? :D

Running Mommy
02-24-2008, 01:08 PM
hoy smokes aggie- I forgot you were in Liberty Hill too!
Ok, now I have two excuses...
Of course there is that little matter of the bike shop I OWN... :p

elk
02-24-2008, 01:43 PM
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=21421

I posted this last week as I was perusing THIS!!!!! which I missed cause I was in Boston that day...:(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/tags/lancearmstrong/

He bought the best in show winning bike by Naked...Robin WIlliams was there too....but not elk.....

Zen
02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Elk, I had to read your post three times.

I kept reading naked Robin Williams so I went to the flickr link but no naked Robin Williams.
I figured it out. Eventually.
(I really don't want to see Robin Williams naked!)

elk
02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
:D:D:D Zen...you ALWAYS crack me up....

here...this image ill help erase the other: http://www.timetogetnaked.com/NAHBS%202008.htm

just skip the guy right AFTER the bike...but do keep going...xxoo

Pax
02-25-2008, 03:46 AM
Love that shop! Ya gotta love how Lance stays so involved in the sport.

Zen - I'm with you...Robin Williams nekkid = *shudder*

elk
02-25-2008, 09:58 AM
but isn't it incredibly EASY to imagine Robin Williams naked!!! why is that....??
:eek:

Queen... i love your 5 rules....good goals. That and to make it up that nasty hill in my neighborhood...

Pax
02-25-2008, 10:13 AM
but isn't it incredibly EASY to imagine Robin Williams naked!!! why is that....??
:eek:

You just have to imagine a large piece of brown carpet shaped like a man...bleeeccchhhhh! :p

mimitabby
02-25-2008, 10:17 AM
You just have to imagine a large piece of brown carpet shaped like a man...bleeeccchhhhh! :p

eyewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that's right he's as hairy as a ... carpet.

Pax
02-25-2008, 10:21 AM
eyewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that's right he's as hairy as a ... carpet.

My brother is like that, I call him "walking carpet". *shudder*

mimitabby
02-25-2008, 10:26 AM
My brother is like that, I call him "walking carpet". *shudder*

oh, and it's worse when they get old and all that hair turns white....

wackyjacky1
02-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh, this thread took a wrong turn somewhere! :D

tulip
02-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I say let's turn it back around.

I'm glad that a shop focusing on bicycling as transportation is open. Austin has such a great climate, there's really no reason to not ride a bike there. Of course, it's been 15 years since I lived there, but it was pretty bikeable then, I can only imagine that it's gotten better over the years.

Aggie_Ama
02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Of course, it's been 15 years since I lived there, but it was pretty bikeable then, I can only imagine that it's gotten better over the years.

Unfortunately, I do not think it has. :(Traffic has gotten much worse, the growth is too rapid for the city/county to keep up with and there seems to be quite a bit of anomosity towards cyclists. We have had several fatalities in the past year and in one case the driver broke two laws and the grand jury (Hays County) failed to bring him to trial. I think something like this will help but the bike lanes are ignored and there are growing reports of cyclists all over town being harassed or having things thrown at them.

elk
02-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Amanda

believe it or not...that sounds a lot like Portland...the #1 city for cyclists in the U.S. Growth here has been obscene, our infrastructure is crumbly, we're overrun with cars and we've had at least 3 fatalities this year alone...and charges are yet to be filed. BUT

we also have a large, vocal active cycling community that refuses to give up the road as well as an equally active "green" community that has seen to the building and maintaining of many miles of bicycle trails with and without cars, peds, etc.

upshot being that if the foundation is there...Lance's support and an active community could turn things around.

Bikeportland.org is a great source of news for how the community here activates....