PDA

View Full Version : Camping and Mountain Biking McDowell Park (Phoenix area)

spokewench
02-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi all you Phoenix and Tucson Girls:

If any of you ride a mountain bike, I will be at McDowell Mountain Park on the weekend of the March 14, 15, 16. A few of us from Flagstaff will be coming down to ride and camp and get out of the cold weather. This is an annual event.

I usually loosely lead a ride on Saturday around the Pemberton Trail which is long, but not technical and very beautiful. Hopefully by then, the flowers will be blooming! I'm thinking with all the rain this year, the flowers are going to be spectacular! And, then we do other rides on the more technical competition trails down the hill from the campground if people are interested; or we just hang out at camp and BS.

If you are interested in coming out and joining us in a mountain bike ride or for that matter, a camping trip, PM me.

Spoke

spokewench
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I can't believe no one responded to this. Are there none of you gals in Phoenix/Tucson that have mountain bikes? You don't have to be an expert. I always get a few beginners showing up for these rides!

????

emily_in_nc
02-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I'd come if I lived there! Sounds like a blast....

Emily

chickwhorips
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
If I was back down there, I would love to go.

I miss this time of the year. It was always my favorite time to be out.

Zen
02-12-2008, 08:16 PM
i have a good friend in Flagstaff. If I gave you her address would you knock on her door and tell her i said to get off her a$$ and go with you?

Crankin
02-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Ah, the McDowell Mountains. If I still lived in Tempe I'd be there, even though my mtb skills are pitiful.

bmccasland
02-13-2008, 04:32 AM
Another home sick Arizonan.... Hope you have some locals join you Spokewench. I'm partial to the foothills of the Bradshaws myself, but then that's where I spent more time stomping around.

So I'll just look at the pictures in my Arizona Highways calendar. - March is a spring wildflower show in the Superstitions, another fun place to stomp around.

chickwhorips
02-13-2008, 07:04 AM
i have a good friend in Flagstaff. If I gave you her address would you knock on her door and tell her i said to get off her a$$ and go with you?

Actually I have one that lives right by the mountains, if I gave you his number will you do the same.

I have another friend, but she's more into hiking. Not sure if she has a bike.

Running Mommy
02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry- just saw this!
I'll put it on the calendar and try to come over to say hi. I'll still be in the thick of IM training, but would love to come out and say hi. Now running hubby and running son would prolly like to ride.
Cheers!
Denise

spokewench
02-14-2008, 10:20 AM
CWR and ZEN:

I'm always pushing people to be active! So, Yes, I would probaby knock on their doors and say hi and see if they want to ride!

Zen: I think you asked me once before to know on her door and get her out to ride to work! Give me another month (SNOWING AGAIN TODAY!) and sure I'll drag her out of her house and on the bike to work.

spoke

spokewench
02-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Running Mommy - I will keep you advised of times set for ride, etc. I would love to have your running boys come ride with us.

Too bad, we can't get all those roadies that are in southern arizona who always respond to these SW postings to buy mountain bikes from your shop and come out and ride too!

Running Mommy
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah really huh?? ha ha ha

Hopefully that doesn't fall on the weekend that we are going to do out open house/demo day. We are trying to get the local tri shop (soft goods only) a coach, and some other vendors to do a demo day in our parking lot. But we need to figure out a day we can do it.

We had the Kona rep in yesterday. 24 hours in the old pueblo is this weekend. Running hubby has always wanted to do a 24 hr race, but his friends are all weenies- and he's not up for solo.

edit to add-
the long loop on the competitive track is good fun. And I'm a wimpy "mom" rider when it comes to mtbing!

spokewench
02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
I've done the 24 hours at hte Old Pueblo twice with a four person womens group - the Spokewenches! Hence my moniker here. It is a blast.

I would not do it in less than a four person team. The most fun would be a corporate team where you don't have to ride as much and can kick back and have fun instead of trying to get some rest between rides!

Your hubby just needs to get a BIG group together and go have fun!

spoke

FelesRidet
03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I have a road bike. My mountain bike needs repair...it only has one gear. I wanted to fix it myself, as a learning experience, don't you know, but I've been struggling with where to get somebody to teach me how to do it. (My husband knows how, but he has little patience with people who aren't as mechanically gifted as he is! He can always see it immediately it - been a motor head for years. We both get frustrated with each other.) But I'll keep the weekend in mind! Sounds like a lot of fun.
Nancy