PDA

View Full Version : radioactive iodine

twin
02-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Had my pill with radioactive iodine for my hyperthyroidism. I can't be out of the house for 48 hours so I can't ride. In two weeks I will be better and my bike riding could go back to what I feel is normal for me and that will be exciting!

ehirsch83
02-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Ahh the fun stuff! I remembering wondering if my urine would glow in the dark- but it didn't :(
hehe, hopefully you don't have to have anymore! And think of it is recovery days- do some yoga/stretching and get caught up on you time!

makbike
02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
My cat, Figaroe, was treated with radioactive Iodine for his hyperthyroidism. He had to stay at the speciality clinic for two weeks and had to be isolated at home for another week. He was one happy cat when he was finally able to rejoin his feline buddies.

Popoki_Nui
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
makbike: how did the treatment work for Figaroe? One of my cats (Montana, my avatar kitty) is hyperT. He's difficult to regulate; he swings from hyper to hypo with the slightest change in his meds. Was the treatment successful?

I just cringe with the thought of having to be without Monty for two weeks (and I'm sure he will like it even less), but if it works, I'll have to seriously consider it. And I wonder why it's two weeks for cats and only two days for humans?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

~Sherry.

Blueberry
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Sherry-

Our Garfield (the cat in my avatar) had the treatment several years ago. He was borderline low thyroid after for 6 months, and then normalized. He's been a happy and healthy (well, at least with regard to his thyroid) ever since. We're very glad we did it. My mom's cat has also had it, and has done well.

We only had to leave him for a week, and then we had a 30 minute per day limit with him for another week.

CA

makbike
02-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Sherry,

Once Figagroe was diagnosed we put him on Tapazole until we could make arrangements for the iodine treatment and I could save the rest of the money needed for the procedure. However, after only being on it a couple of weeks Figaroe developed an allergy to it (only occurs in 2% of all cats). I had Figaroe at the speciality clinic within 48 hours and the rest is history.

The treatment worked well, too well for Figaroe is now hypothyroid. I must give my buddy a daily dose of thyroid medication each morning. Not a big deal for he is so easy to pill. I must have his values checked annually and for the past 2 years the current dose has been just right for him. He is once again a very happy and loving cat. I have no regrets about the treatment.

If you can afford the treatment look into it. The two weeks he was in the hospital were tough and the week I was suppose to isolate him once he was home was even tougher. I was suppose to limit my contact with him but I failed miserably and spent a lot of time with him in the guest room. He was always so excited to see me. I got lots of head butts and purrs. He is one healthy cat now!

Here is a picture of my buddy.

Popoki_Nui
02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the input makbike and CA. Figaroe and Garfield are beautiful! :) Sound like you both had positive outcomes, which gives me hope. My vet seems to think Monty should be a good candidate as well, even at 14 years of age. His blood work is always perfect, except for the T4 of course.

Montana has a suspicious spot on his nose. Once his thyroid is regulated enough with Tapezole, I need to have that investigated. If that turns out well, I will definitely consider radioactive iodine for a long-term solution.

Many thanks! Apologies for the thread drift, and I hope your treatment is successful too, twin!

~Sherry.

LBTC
02-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Twin - how did the treatment go? Any side effects? Are you feeling well? Did you get out and ride?

Sending lots of hugs and healing butterflies, (and some to all the cats, too)
~T~

twin
02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Other than making sure I was not to close to anyone I feel fine no side effects. I rode a little on Monday then the weather changed and it became winter again. By this weekend it will be warm again and I hope that I get some miles in. Thanks for the thoughts and sending kitty hugs for the cats.