PDA

View Full Version : Spring cleaning bike

Bron
01-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, it's not spring yet, in fact I am praying for snow. However, I was starting to wonder what sort of yearly maintainance I should do on my road bike.
Obviously the following:
clean bike,
check brakes - maybe replace brake blocks,
clean and oil chain (this all gets done more often than once a year!)

What else would anyone recommend? Is it necessary to take anything else to pieces for cleaning and oiling?

DebW
01-30-2008, 05:56 AM
Clean derailleurs, demunge the jockey wheels on the RD, and oil all pivot points. If you have non-sealed bearings in your hubs, bottom bracket, or headset, they should be disassembled, cleaned, and repacked with fresh grease annually.

tulip
01-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Thank goodness for sealed bearings!

Also check the chain and chainrings for wear--the chain can stretch and the chainring teeth can get sharp, thus making the chain fall off at inopportune times.

also check the tires for cracks and the cables for kinks and frays. Deb--should the cables also be greased where they move against metal, or is that unnecessary?

DebW
01-30-2008, 06:34 AM
Deb--should the cables also be greased where they move against metal, or is that unnecessary?

Cables should be greased inside the housing. If greased where they are exposed, the grease will just attract dirt.

kat_h
01-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Other people may have better ideas than this, but I just want to share one little tip. The first time I opened up the bearing on a bike wheel I spent ages finding all of the balls again. Now I lay the wheel on it's side on the floor and put a frisbee under it so everything lands in the frisbee and can't roll away.

Bron
01-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I'd better get working!