PDA

View Full Version : When and what to eat

Jo-n-NY
02-09-2005, 04:56 AM
Let me begin to say that I have been reading all of your threads for months, finally got the nerve to register a few weeks ago, just posted the getting to know you and now for my question. I have learned a wealth of cycling info from all of you and pass it along to my cycling friends. All of you seem to be a real nice, down to earth group. It is my pleasure to be here.

My question, My husband and I basically do recreational riding up until a year ago. Now along with a couple of other friends we want to step up the notch and go for a century this year. There is so much said about when to eat protein, carbs. Our favorite bars are the Balance Gold and usually have that mid ride. But take last night, we went on our trainers at about 8:00 ending after 9:00. Am I suppose to replenishing with protein at that hour? :confused: I guess I consider us in training and want to nourish the body the best we can. What are some of your bars of choice, when you eat them and maybe if you have any kind of eating routine.

Thanks much for any light you can shead on this dilemma ~ Jo

Veronica
02-09-2005, 05:04 AM
I don't eat when I'm on the trainer. If I ride first thing in the morning I'll drink just water. If it's the afternoon I'll have Gatorade. No matter how long the workout. Spinervals has come out with a 3 HOUR DVD. I've done the 90 minute one. Don't know about three hours. I'd eat on the three hour one though.

Same thing if I'm riding outside and doing 20 miles or less. I don't eat anything, but drink Gatorade.

Longer rides I bring bananas, bars, Carboom. All kinds of stuff. Peanut butter cookies. :D

Veronica

slinkedog
02-09-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi Jo! Welcome to TE! :)

When my husband was cycling competetively and training to try to make the Olympic team in 1996, his coach and a lot of reading helped him with diet. He thinks you should definitely replenish protein after every endurance workout. In fact, he said that if you eat some protein at that time after your workout, it will facilitate the fat buning process while you sleep, as well and help your muscles rebuild.

Hope that helps!!! I know there are a lot of books out there about eating to train.

Veronica
02-09-2005, 07:17 AM
What makes a ride an endurance ride? I don't consider anything less than 90 minutes to be an endurance ride. Especially when you consider that at any given moment you are walking around with about 2000 calories in your bloodstream waiting to be put to use. A cyclist burns between 500 - 1000 calories an hour. It's a huge variation based on wattage and VO2 max. The average person already has in their body what they need to fuel them for a short workout.

A century is of course a different matter. This is going to be anywhere from a 5 to ten hour event for most people - depending on terrain and fitness level.
Personal experience tells me that if I plan on riding more than two hours I need to eat and I can't wait until the two hour mark to eat. I have figured based on my calorie burn I need to eat a fig newton every 10 minutes to sustain enough calories in my blood stream. I don't like fig newtons. :D For me it's 50 calories every ten minutes.

Veronica

LBTC
02-09-2005, 07:34 AM
My winter cross-training this year is kickboxing. Great workout, almost as intense as a mountain bike ride, about one hour in length. I need to eat something with potatoes in it about 2-3 hours before the workout (I do the same thing before a ride). a couple of perogies does the trick. It doesn't have to be much. Other people find pasta works for them, but it just makes my tummy feel full :rolleyes:

I've noticed that after kickboxing I'm pretty wired and it takes me several hours to realize that I'm actually kind of hungry. I usually crave protein, but the thought of eating meat at 10:00 at night doesn't really thrill me. Tonight I'm trying something different, something I would do after a mountain bike race or a 1 1/2 hour or longer ride....I'm going to drink the recovery drink Endurox. It's got protein and I don't know what else in it. I'm hoping that if I drink that right after kickboxing (about 7:30 pm) - on the drive home even - that I won't have any desire to eat dinner. That would be my ideal world.

Everyone here has good ideas. My thoughts are that you need to try to see what works for you. If you do a long ride and don't fuel up enough before during and/or after, you might not notice it right away, but just be very tired the next day. A training ride is different from a fun ride. During the summer our wednesday night rides usually last 3 hours or longer. I carry water and really watered down gaterade. I always have some kind of bar, usually just a snack bar, not an actual energy bar, and rarely have more than half on a ride of that length, sometimes nothing at all. but those rides are just fun and end up at the bar with a platter of fattening snacks (love those potato skins with bacon!! mmmmmm) and jugs of beer! not exactly training fuel!! On a training ride I'll have a before drink (we've got accelerade) drink water and gaterade on the ride, and, if it's more than an hour ride, have either a snack or a gel pack (I have to practice using those things - they're great in races, but they're not a lot of help if I fall over when trying to suck one back!!) every 20-40 minutes. At the end of the ride I'll drink the recovery drink while I"m doing my stretching. Seems to work quite well for me!

Best of luck on the century!!

namaste,
~T~

slinkedog
02-09-2005, 07:57 AM
Eating protein after a workout isn't about calories, it's about providing your body with the stuff it needs to rebuild muscles. (In fact, eating carbs at that hour is not a good idea.) Any strenuous activity is going to tear down your muscles, at least somewhat, and protein (a hard boiled egg, lean red meat or chicken are all good) will help your muscles accomplish the rebuilding process.

I agree that you don't need to eat for an hour ride. When I ride first thing in the morning, I usually just have a little juice or else my stomach gets upset. But if you pump up the resistance on your trainer at all, your muscles will benefit from a little boost of protein to help them recover.

Veronica
02-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Most Americans get more protein than they need already. Any discussion of
nutrition and exercise needs to take into account the stated goals of the
individual. There was nothing in the original post to indicate that she
was looking to work out at an intensity that would require additional
protein in her diet. Athletes training at the Olympic level obviously
have far different needs than the typical cyclist.

But like LBTC said - everybody is different and Jo would probably best be served by experimenting. Thom likes to have Endurox after a longer ride. I can't stand the stuff. I drink Gatorade while riding, it gives him stomach trouble. We're all individuals. (Someone needs to stand up and shout...)

Veronica

slinkedog
02-09-2005, 08:30 AM
I hope I didn't offend... that wasn't my intention at all. I just felt from the conversation that we needed to clarify the difference between eating to fuel and eating to help rebuild. That's all.

Veronica
02-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Nope, not offended at all. That's the beauty of this board I think. You can carry on a rational conversation and have differences of opinion without resorting to insults.

So when are you going to join us for a ride?

V.

Jo-n-NY
02-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Thank you slinkdog, Veronica, & LBTC for your responces. I think we pretty much have been doing the right thing when riding during the day. It was these night rides that we do a few times a week (carmichael climbing dvd) that puts me at a loss because I have always tried to not eat anything after 9:00 needless to say protein. But if that type of workout warrents anything, the hard boiled egg sounds ok or the recovery drink or maybe even a few wheat crackers with peanut butter.

I feel the same way LBTC. I am also wired and not very hungrey right after a ride and I don't really feel like a meat protein at that hour. Now ice cream could be a different story :)

Now we are on the search for good tasting bars to bring with us in the summer that don't have chocolate as they will for sure melt and trailmix bars get sticky.

slinkedog
02-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey Veronica... I would like to try the Diablo ride you're setting up, but I can't do Sundays. If you ever arrange one for a Saturday, let me know!

I'm probably not quite ready to do Diablo yet, anyway, but like Jobob said about Hamilton, I'll never make it up unless I start riding!! ;)

CorsairMac
02-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Jo - you could also try and apple with peanut butter. I used to eat those in the evenings to help me get through the night without waking up starving! Now I'm allergic to peanuts to that got scratched. I also keep Clif Bars/Luna Bars around - the Luna Bars are lighter in carbs, same protein and tasty. Not too much for an evening snack. A protein drink would probably work better for you if you're trying to avoid "eating" after dinner. But like everyone said - its really truly personal: what works for you may not work for someone else!

MightyMitre
02-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Jo - you ask about what you can eat after training at that time of night, but I'd be interested to know what time you go to bed.

I'm a total night owl, completely useless in the morning. In fact I really envy those who can get up a couple of hours early and ride before work. I'd love just to be able to get up a couple of hours early! :eek:

I find I can't train/do a hard work out after 8 pm. It just wakes me up way too much and I have to stay up till I'm ready to sleep. How does it work for you training in the evening?
OR
does anyone have any hints for speeding up the 'come down' process as some times when I've got back late from work I've skipped training as it would mean I'd be finishing too late on.

slinkedog
02-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Mighty:

"does anyone have any hints for speeding up the 'come down' process as some times when I've got back late from work I've skipped training as it would mean I'd be finishing too late on."

Yeah... a big glass of Merlot. ;)

No, really... how about a bubble bath by candlelight with lavendar scented bubbles? Lavendar really helps me relax.

LBTC
02-09-2005, 02:22 PM
MM
I bet the glass of merlot isn't a bad thing...heh

sometimes I teach night courses and come home at 10:30 pm very wired. since wakeup is 6:00 am I need to wind down fast. my fix is licorice tea. it's very soothing to my digestional tract (which is usually pretty weird during teaching), and, it turns out, it's pretty relaxing too. I buy the Stash brand Licorice Spice.

I wouldn't be surprised if doing some light stretches and taking 1000mg of calcium (works best with magnesium and zinc) might help relax you, too.

I know what you mean about not being a morning person, though. whew! I need 8 hours sleep and usually get 7. good thing I dye my hair blonde to make up for the early morning stupids!

namaste,
~T~

Jo-n-NY
02-09-2005, 04:47 PM
What wonderful responses! I try to get to bed by 11:30 but I am up at 5:30am. So by 11:30 I am out of it and don't have any trouble getting to sleep. Between my dh and I we have an odd schedule and have to work at taking the time to ride together.

That Licorice tea sounds good. I never heard of it. Do you find it in the grocery store? I was just telling my friend about an apple and peanut butter. The Luna & Cliff bars also sound like a good idea. I think stopping in the nearest GNC to read labels might be good to do.

It is true, everyone is different and has different goals. I know I just want to stengthen my mucles. I am not really looking to build them.

You all gave me a good amount of ideas to work with and I greatly appreciate it.

Veronica
02-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Wow no one caught my reference to Monty Python's "Life of Brian."

One guy shouts, 'You're all individuals!" Another guy hollers back, "I'm not!"

And I've never even seen the movie. I guess I hang around with too many computer geeks. :eek: This face is funny! - reminds me of the ants in "A Bug's Life."

V.

SadieKate
02-09-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm probably not quite ready to do Diablo yet, anyway, but like Jobob said about Hamilton, I'll never make it up unless I start riding!! ;)

Well, that's what I said too but Veronica did Briones on Saturday and thinks Diablo may be easier. I'm still waiting to see 'cause total climbing is greater. Trying to track down the hubby about doing the devil on Sunday (he's AWOL right now).

Veronica
02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
I didn't really say easier did I? The climb is much longer. But I know you can do it. Anyone who can make it up some of those hills at Briones has the right stuff to gut out Diablo.

Maybe I'll bring chocolate chip cookies as a reward for those who make it to the top. What do you think Jobob? Will you ride for my cookies? :)

V.

SadieKate
02-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Did someone say chocolate? :o

Veronica
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Maybe the lady with the pink panniers will be there. Sh had some excellent brownies!

SadieKate
02-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Kinda back on topic (though I believe she likes chocolate also), I personally like the book "Eat Smart, Play Hard" by Liz Applegate.

She's got the academic credentials and the actual athletic experience -- she runs, she bikes, etc. I think the book is very easy to read and understand without needing a science degree. She addresses both omnivores and the vegetarians.

A bio I copied: Liz Applegate, Ph.D., is on the faculty in the nutrition Department at the University of California, Davis. A Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, she is a popular lecturer and has been a guest on Good Morning America, CNN, and ESPN. Dr. Applegate is the author of Power Foods and Eat Your Way to a Healthy Heart. She is nutrition editor and columnist for Runner's World magazine and a nutrition consultant for the U.S. Olympic Team.

jobob
02-09-2005, 08:51 PM
What do you think Jobob? Will you ride for my cookies?
Did someone say cookies?!?
V's chocolate chip cookies are simply to DIE for. But under the circumstances that might be a bad choice of words :D

Sure, I'll climb a mountain for cookies. See you at the park at 10.

Maybe this time I won't take a wrong turn on the way back and have to climb a freakin' WALL to get back to the car :p

Jo-n-NY
02-10-2005, 03:54 AM
SadieKate, thank you for book recommendation. I did a search on Amazon and was not able to come up with a book relating nutritian and sports. It was a quick search and had planned to revisit it. I will look into the book by Liz Applegate. Thanks again!

slinkedog
02-10-2005, 07:43 AM
I think the book my husband's coach recommended was called "Eat to Win" or "Eating to Win."

Jo-n-NY
02-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi Slinkedog,
I was just doing a search and I found Eat to Win in the 21st Century by Robert Haas. Is that the one?

slinkedog
02-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Jo! I believe that's an updated version of the same book. Blaine hasn't been training seriously since 1996, so it's been a while. I think the original one was called, "Eat to Win: The Sports Nutrition Bible." They're by the same author.

:)

Michelemarrano
02-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi Ladies....It's February in Ohio--no long distance rides for us!!

I work for FedEx and was on a 12 hour route on Wednesday and had the presence of mind to pack my lunch in a cooler. To do 100 delivery and pickup stops, racing around like a madwoman, without a decent lunch break would make the hardiest person bonk!!

I had a decent breakfast at home which included a small cup of Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's at 0700; I wasn't hungry until 1:30 PM. I broke out a small bag of Trader Joe's pita chips (with GAHLIC) and a small tub of hummus---AND THAT HELD ME TILL 8 PM !!!

I think I'll bring hummus along for the MS 150 ride this summer---I have lots of ice in my camelback which should act as a minifridge.

I found that this additional protein really made me feel strong and energetic while I did the FedEx route from HELL without a lunch break!!

slinkedog
02-11-2005, 06:09 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... hummus! Do you but it or do you have a good recipe? I'm having a hard time finding a hummus recipe I like, so if you have a good one, I would love to know where you got it!! :)

And let me add that I have the greatest respect for you FedEx and UPS delivery folk. Your job is a lot of hard work and I (being a woman with 4 kids, 3 of them 5 and under) appreciate not having to go to the mall to shop all the time because I can rely on you guys to get my stuff to me!! Thanks!

Jo-n-NY
02-11-2005, 08:47 AM
I second what slinkedog said for you FedEx & UPS drivers. As I have some pretty heavy packages delivered to me, I feel real bad. I do show a "cash" appreciation a few times during the year if that helps.

I never had hummus but heard all good things about it. I doesn't look very appetizing in which case I never tried it. However, I finally recently tried salmon and loved it both times I ordered it. I better broaden my horizons some more.

MomOnBike
02-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Hummus is in the category of "Close Your Eyes and Eat It."
I love the stuff, and don't mind how it looks, but I do see how it can be off-putting. I wish I had a recipe.

On a ride, though, I'd worry about food poisioning. (Background - almost lost my Mother to ptomaine once, I'm sensitive) It'd probably stay good with really good refrigeration. I'm not up to figuring out how to do it, though.

Michelemarrano, I appreciate your work. As a self-employed person, you delivery guys are the ones that bring work to my door - 400 pages yesterday & today, in fact. Thanks.

nuthatch
02-11-2005, 12:45 PM
What a good idea hummus would be on a ride! We make it at home all the time in the summer but I never thought about a "to go" cup of it. I personally wouldn't worry at all about spoilage - after all, I would think plenty of people in it's land of origin don't have refrigeration and it's plenty hot there! It's just garbanzos, tahini (ground sesame seeds), garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. No eggs or anything. But I understand the concerns about being careful!

slinkedog
02-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Nuthatch:

Could I possibly get your recipe? I've tried a few and haven't found the right amounts or something. Just doesn't taste like what I get at the middle eastern deli near my house. Thanks!

nuthatch
02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh, dear I was afraid someone might ask that. No recipe - we just start with a 15 oz can of drained garbanzos (keep the liquid) and start throwing stuff in there (blender for really smooth puree). Usually a couple tablespoons of tahini, juice of one lemon, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, some of the reserved liquid to thin things down to the consistency you like. I've added paprika and I always add ground cumin. I leave out the traditional olive oil but I've heard that makes all the difference in making it taste more like the deli. I've also heard that cooking the garbanzos from their dried state yourself makes things more creamy and tasty. Have you thought of asking the deli guys or is it a top-secret recipe? :p

Irulan
02-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Oh, dear I was afraid someone might ask that. No recipe - we just start with a 15 oz can of drained garbanzos (keep the liquid) and start throwing stuff in there (blender for really smooth puree). Usually a couple tablespoons of tahini, juice of one lemon, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, some of the reserved liquid to thin things down to the consistency you like. I've added paprika and I always add ground cumin. I leave out the traditional olive oil but I've heard that makes all the difference in making it taste more like the deli. I've also heard that cooking the garbanzos from their dried state yourself makes things more creamy and tasty. Have you thought of asking the deli guys or is it a top-secret recipe? :p

that's exactly how I make it,except I leave out the tahini - I have a friend who had an anaphalactic reaction to sesame. Canned garbanzos, lemon juice, garlic. Lots of garlic. I LOVE hummus on wheat bread as a snack or for breakfast. I don't see what people would find unappealing about it at all.

Irulan

Irulan
02-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Hummus is in the category of "Close Your Eyes and Eat It."
I love the stuff, and don't mind how it looks, but I do see how it can be off-putting. I wish I had a recipe.

On a ride, though, I'd worry about food poisioning. (Background - almost lost my Mother to ptomaine once, I'm sensitive) It'd probably stay good with really good refrigeration. I'm not up to figuring out how to do it, though.

there's nothing in it to spoil.

mtnbikenmama
02-11-2005, 03:58 PM
a hummus and tabuli (sp?) on pita sandwich. I think that because of the acidity of the lemon juice it would be fine to carry the hummus in your back pack/water bag.

donna

Jo-n-NY
02-11-2005, 05:34 PM
MomOnBike...if you don't mind me asking, what kind of work do you do and do you work from home. The company I work for is going through "organizational changes" and although I think I can buy myself some time or take a package, I was looking into other options should I decide on the package.

Hope I am not out of line in asking, if I am I apologize.

LBTC
02-11-2005, 08:24 PM
the hummus recipe sounds great, and just the way I like to cook. soon, very soon....

as for delivery services...I do appreciate the drivers of all the courier companies - it's got to be a hard job! But up here in the middle of no-where Canada, Fedex and UPS are the bane of our online shopping existance!! Fedex actually LOST the birthday present I ordered for my husband, and today I received the $25 bill for brokerage fees!! I don't care if it crossed the border, I never got the package!!!! That brokerage fee is way higher than other couriers, and it takes them forever to get stuff to us! UPS was no better. In fact, UPS does not move anything, even expedited packages on the weekend!! Even the postal service does that! So, online shipments I"m always requesting USPS now. So far it's worked like a charm!

Namaste,
~T~

Michelemarrano
02-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi Ladies--Thanks for your appreciation of FedEx. FedEx has supplied my hubby and me with a decent livelihood for over 20 years.

In addition, FedEx has the honor of being the #1 Corporate sponsor of the MS 150 bike tours in 2004!!!

Actually I'm not a courier anymore--I am a station manager--however, when the going gets rough, the tough go deliver!!

The hummus recipe--I find hummus to be like pesto sauce--when it's good....it's fabulous!! When it's not good....it's Hidious!!

This is what has worked for me hummus-wise: The best brand of mix is Fantastic Hummus mix. I follow the directions on the box, then I drizzle a good olive oil and add cumin and chili powder.

The best ready-to-go hummus is the house brand at Trader Joe's. I add their olive tapinade in addition to olive oil/cumin/chili powder. Trader Joe's makes outstanding garlic pita chips as well.

This combo makes for quick energy that lasts for hours without providing a loaded stomach---perfect for long bike rides. Refridgeration/spoilage should not be a concern with this being strictly a vegan treat.

Speaking of long rides, has anyone here done the TOSRV ride from Columbus to Portsmouth, Ohio??? I'm thinking about it this year if I don't have to work the Saturday before Mother's day.

Are there any other Central Ohio cyclists aboard? I'm thinking of joining the Westerville Bicycling Club this spring.

I

MomOnBike
02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Ok, I admit it, I'm overly concerned about spoilage. But food poisioning is not pretty.

Still, DH & I love bike picnics, and we have packed some pretty gourmet meals. I think that a cooler filled with hummus, olives, pita, cheese & um, something good to drink would be romantic. I'll just make sure to add plenty of cold somehow.

Will spring ever get here?

nuthatch
02-13-2005, 02:59 AM
Amen, MomonBike! Will spring ever get here? I saw the very tips of my tulips sticking up from the garden yesterday! Now if some of those sunny, 50 degree days will just coincide with a weekend....

KTeach
02-19-2005, 05:22 AM
I got some good advice on this board when preparing for the Tour de Tuscon. I'd bonked at 30 miles!!!! on a training ride a few weeks before the century - a bottle of Gatorade really helped that day! It's amazing how fast the sugar kicks in - but I knew I had to experiment with my nutrition before the century. So I tried using GU, HammerGEL (love the Espresso flavors not to mention a little caffeine boost) and similar products about every 20-30 minutes and sipped water or a diluted endurance drink (I carry 2 bottles). I'm not sure how to figure out exactly what calories I need as another writer did (would love to...) so it was more trial and error. In any case, eating & drinking often made all the difference and the ride was great!

Surlygirl
02-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Here's what I take for an energy boost. Piece of whole wheat bread. Read your labels ladies. It has to say 100% whole wheat as the first ingrediant. You'd be amazed at how many things say whole fiber or whole wheat and they are not. Spread with crunchy peanut butter, natural is better than the Skip, Jiff stuff, then drizzle some honey on and sprinkle Grape Nuts on that. Lots of crunch, lots of energy and all natural.