PDA

View Full Version : Taking elastic out of jersey hem

kelownagirl
01-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Anyone done this successfully? I started to pick the stitches out of one of my jerseys and it seems more complicated than I first thought. There is a double row of stitching that goes right over the elastic. I'm not sure what the hem will look like after I've taken it out. help?

SadieKate
01-27-2008, 11:33 AM
I do it all the time. It just takes patience unless you can find that magic thread that will let it zip across. Use a fine ripper, good light and soothing music.

I then take my jerseys to a professional to be re-hemmed. I don't sew on lycra, no how, no way -- especially at the cost of jerseys.

kelownagirl
01-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I do it all the time. It just takes patience unless you can find that magic thread that will let it zip across. Use a fine ripper, good light and soothing music.

I then take my jerseys to a professional to be re-hemmed. I don't sew on lycra, no how, no way -- especially at the cost of jerseys.

Well that's the clincher then. I suck at sewing. I need to take them to a pro? I wonder if my mommy can do it? She has a fancy machine....

Soothing music - good idea. I am impatient as all get out....

silver
01-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I do it all the time too. You do med good light and a good ripper and some patience. there is a magic thread that if you find it, the seam will simply pull off.

so first you rip out the double stitched seam and then you have to take out the seam that attaches the elastic and then sew it back. I simply sew two rows of stitched to mimic the original look.

I'll do it for you if you send them to me.

Zen
01-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I'll do it for you if you send them to me.

I have one that needs hemming :p

I bought the jersey last summer and yes it took FOREVER for me to un-stitch it. Then I just kind of tacked it up by hand.

The first time I wore it someone told me "you have a needle in your jersey" :eek:
I was so happy to be finished I was thinking about wearing it, not about pesky knots and tying off and such bothersome nonsense.

bmccasland
01-28-2008, 04:39 AM
When looking for the *magic* thread, don't forget to try both directions.

If you take it to someone to be hemmed, it does help to do the deconstruction youself (as in you're paying for their time). I've pulled the elastic out of my jerseys and rehemmed them. Part of the problem is that regular sewing machines don't do the stretchy interlock stitch that sergers can do. I just use a plain zigzag with my machine. The easiest job I did for a gal was when she wanted the jersey shortened too - we just cut the hem and elastic off!

kelownagirl
01-28-2008, 06:11 AM
I wonder why they put the elastic there in the first place? Looks like a lot of people take it out. Doesn't everyone find it rides up? Maybe we need to write to the manufacturers...

silver
01-28-2008, 08:14 AM
I was serious, Kelowna and Zen, I'll do them if you send them to me.

jobob
01-28-2008, 08:26 AM
I've done it, so have a few others.

Some hints here:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=15683

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=15140

kelownagirl
01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I was serious, Kelowna and Zen, I'll do them if you send them to me.

If you lived closer, I'd take you up on it!

I think it'll be cheaper to find a seamstress here though. Thanks Silver!

tongue_tied
12-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I wanted to bump this thread and ressurect it... people that have done this before still on the forum? Can you just remove the elastic and take it to an alterer to sew the hem back?

SadieKate
12-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes. That's why I do. I get the best results when I find a pro who has the machine for the stretchy interlock stitch.

See what bmccasland said above.

tongue_tied
12-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Do you actually have to specific to the alterer that you need the serger stitch - the stretchy, interlock stitch?

bmccasland
12-17-2009, 04:32 AM
Do you actually have to specific to the alterer that you need the serger stitch - the stretchy, interlock stitch?

Yes. Otherwise the stitches won't stretch and the threads will break. OR, if you stretch out the fabric while stitching, then it doesn't lay flat - it's all rumply. But you definitely need a stitch that will stretch, and regular zigzag doesn't do it enough. And picking that out is no fun at all.

Most alterations shops have both regular sewing machines (traditional) and serger machines, so it shouldn't be a problem to find a shop that can do this for you.

tongue_tied
12-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the advice. I hate the elastic on my Twin Six jerseys, but it generally doesn't bother me on the others.

AnnieBikes
12-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I also am a 100% pear shaped person and absolutely hate elastic. I never even thought about taking it out when I first started riding. I just figured that my shape precluded ever having a nice jersey that didn't bunch up. Then I met a lady on one of my long trips who said she did it on all her shirts. I came home from that trip and had a marathon "remove the elastic" day, and then sewed them all back using a small zig zag stitch. The fabric does not fray so I was not concerned that I did not have a serger. Now the jerseys hang nicely and do not bunch up on my waist, above my large hips. Now I try to look at the bottom more closely when I buy a shirt and many of the nice sleeveless ones I own have no elastic and a slit on the sides...perfect!

A funny story here...this summer I was doing another tour with WomanTours http://www.womantours.com and they always give a nice jersey on their long trips. I wanted to be able to wear it so I had taken my own seam ripper with me, but the jerseys change so I did not take thread for matching it to resew the hem. Being a quilter, I tried to visit quilt shops on the route in the towns we stayed in. So, on one of our layover days, we were in Walla Walla, WA and it was the beginning of the month long trip. I took the jersey with the elastic removed to the local quilt shop and told them my sad story, and bought the right color thread, which they kindly put onto one of their demo machines and sewed it for me! They would not let me do it (I guess they were not sure I knew how to sew!!). Bingo, job done, and the jersey became wearable for the rest of the trip!!! :D My cycling buddies thought it was hilarious, but I got a shirt that fit and that I liked to wear after it was hemmed!! Do follow the advice of those above if you DON"T have a machine. You really need a zig zag or other stitch that will stretch a bit!

Bike Chick
12-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Aren't those quilters great folks?!? ;)

That's a great story and I can see our quilt shop doing the same thing. I have a sewing/embroidery business in my basement and am fortunate enough to have a nice serger and sewing machine. I am pear shaped as well and started ripping the elastic out of my jerseys the first year I started riding. Spandex is bad enough stretched over these hips without adding elastic to it too. My hubby thought I had lost my mind until we were on a charity ride and several women at a sag stop asked me where I found my jersey without elastic.

kelownagirl
12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I did eventually remove the elastic myself and just sewed it back up by hand. It isn't perfect but it looks ok. It was a time-consuming PITA to take out the elastic though because it was sewn in with a zig zag. I still haven't done the second jersey......:rolleyes:

shootingstar
12-17-2009, 07:30 PM
It does sound like enough work (I haven't done it 'cause don't need to. But I do know enough about sewing.)

But given the cost of some jerseys, it is worth it.
Right now, I'm annoyed I have short arms. Need to shorten my new fleecy jacket sleeves. It's very rare I have a purchased long-sleeved top that doesn't require alteration on sleeve length or rolling up sleeve wrist edges. Same for any pair of pants..even on petite sized. At least easier, unless either bottoms or tops have cuffs.

There are things about one's body that will never change regardless of weight, age later on. :)

Bike Chick
12-19-2009, 04:22 AM
There are things about one's body that will never change regardless of weight, age later on. :)

So true! I've gained weight as I've aged but not arm/leg length:D The sleeves that were too long in a smaller size are really too long in a bigger size. Wish I could take those extra pounds and convert them to inches!

sundial
01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
For those of you who removed the elastic from your jersey, did the hem of your jersey have a tendency to roll? Are there some fabrics that are worse than others? I am soooo tempted to rid the evil bottom hem elastic. Guess that's why I'm drawn to men's jerseys.

SadieKate
01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
For those of you who removed the elastic from your jersey, did the hem of your jersey have a tendency to roll? Are there some fabrics that are worse than others? I am soooo tempted to rid the evil bottom hem elastic. Guess that's why I'm drawn to men's jerseys.Not as long as it was re-hemmed at the same fold line so the depth of the hem remained the same.

sundial
01-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Ok, thanks! I think I'll start un-hemming my jerseys.