PDA

View Full Version : Wanted

trigurl
02-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I hope i got someones attention! I just bought my first tri bike and am now officially broke, I also had to buy some bike shoes.

I need some cycling shorts probably size L, I have a pair of men's M now. I also need a shirt, tho I am having a hard time justifying the cost of "cycling" shirts.

Anyone selling some stuff or know where I can get some good "cheap" items? :D

I still have to buy a tri suit too.

Thanks

doc
02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
You can get some real deals on ebay. Make sure you check the seller's previous record.
Performance Bike (performance.com) is currently having a huge sale.
And I love nashbar. (nashbar.com) there is always tons of stuff on sale there.
Happy hunting.

sarahfixit
02-07-2005, 02:43 PM
I really like Performance and Pricepoint. So far my performance shorts are the best ones I own.

trigurl
02-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Thanks ya'll! I watch ebay some but I always get out bid :cool:

CorsairMac
02-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Also, Primal Wear has "attic" sales and factory seconds that you can look into. I bought a LS jersey from Primal for $35. (www.primalwear.com) Also, try some of the off the wall places, like ClifBar Jerseys for $35. I'm in the same boat you are right now - kinda broke but trying to build a biking wardrobe! I have tried ebay - but I'm guessing I'm 'ebay challenged". I can't seem to figure out how to move around in their site! (yes, I was a blonde as a child!) Also, keep on eye on your LBS and let them know your shopping. Sometimes they'll call you when they're having sales.

trigurl
02-09-2005, 05:38 AM
I am not thrilled with my LBS, I spent a lot of money on a bike and shoes, told them I would be using my trainer until the weather got better - I get home and my new bike won't work on my trainer! seems they forgot that I needed a piece to replace the quick release so it would work!!!! they should have thought about that when I was there ( in my opinion). They did tell me to come by and they would give me one, that was good of them.

I also felt the person helping me didn't do a great job fitting me, when I told him what felt good he kept pushing me to try a bigger bike when I did I felt like I was having to sit on the tip of the seat to reach the bars, he said it looked like a good fit :mad: I am 5'7" with long legs and ended up with a 52cm bike, the saddle is up pretty high but I don't have that long reach to the bars. OH, they also told me there really wasn't such thing as a "woman's" bike. I wish I had found this site before I bought it - which was last Fri. There are only 2 bike shops in my area both very expensive and the other store has the higher priced bikes than this store did.

My tax refund wasn't enough!

doc
02-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Oh boy. I sure would be ANGRY. It sounds like you got lousy service from people who know NOTHING about cycling. Several manufacturers make women specific design (WSD) bikes. Terry and Trek to name a few. The top tube is shorter than on a man's bike which is good for those with long legs and short torsos. That is opposite of most men - long torso and relatively short legs. Plus they have redesigned brakes so that a woman's smaller hand can grab it easier.
How long have you had the bike? Have you used it inside on your trainer only? If that is the case I would demand a refund (assuming the bike really doesn't fit you) A repectable LBS wants a satisfied customer on a bike that truly fits. Good luck.

adkoch
02-09-2005, 05:53 PM
For tri clothes, I've seen a number of good deals on Sportsbasement.com or all3sports.com and the occassional close-out bargain at Athleta.com. Good luck! I actually bought many of my bike shorts off of eBay that were new with tags for the very same reason - the sports of two-wheeled variety can put a hefty dent in the ole pocketbook!

~Angie

SadieKate
02-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Have you checked the tri specialty shop on Team Estrogen? A bunch of stuff is marked down.

trigurl
02-10-2005, 04:53 AM
I have a bid on a pair of shorts on ebay right now. I did check team estrogen's sales, and I checked some of the others out yesterday, I guess I just need a better job! Working in a small town sucks!

pedalfaster
02-10-2005, 07:09 AM
or "How to Be a Better Customer."

Just a view from the other side of the fence, so to speak. I've been working in bike shops off and on for 10+ years. :)

Aquaint yourself with some basic bike terminology. Saying "I plan to use this bike on the stationary trainer, so I'll need an extra skewer" is a good way to make sure you get what you need. Bikes, by the way, do not *come* with that extra skewer, so the LBS, in this case, did not *owe* you one. Most bike shops have some inexpensive and/or used skewers about that make good trainer-skewers. They'll toss one in with a purchase or sell one for a coupl-a bucks. If you do get an extra skewer, it's usually packaged with the TRAINER.

On bike sizing: I can't be sure without seeing you in person, but I have a hard time believing that a 52cm for someone 5'7" is too large. You go by the name "trigurl" and mention that you bought a tri-specific bike. I would assume you went to the shop and told them that you planned to race triathlons.
Personally I would fit someone who came in and said they planned to race way WAY differently than a person who came in and said they just wanted to ride for fitness...or to the local coffee shop :cool:

What it appears the LBS emplyee did was...he set you up to race tris! Triathletes tend to be more concerned with aerodynamics than with comfort. The stock tri-position is low and long (very stretched out) with the saddle waaaay over the bottom bracket. In fact many triathletes will run a "foreward" set seatpost.

As far as "womens bikes" yes many brands now have a WSD line. I can't speak for other brands, but since I work at a Trek dealer, I can vouch for the fact that Trek does not currently offer WSD-specific Tri or Time Trial bikes. The whole WSD concept kind of runs counter to the tri geometry (remember: long, low, stretched out).

Hope this helps clarify a few things!

:)

Jennifer Gallow
02-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanks for that point of view, pedalfaster. Very interesting.

SadieKate
02-10-2005, 08:35 AM
or "How to Be a Better Customer."
Saying "I plan to use this bike on the stationary trainer, so I'll need an extra skewer" is a good way to make sure you get what you need. Bikes, by the way, do not *come* with that extra skewer, so the LBS, in this case, did not *owe* you one. Most bike shops have some inexpensive and/or used skewers about that make good trainer-skewers. They'll toss one in with a purchase or sell one for a coupl-a bucks. If you do get an extra skewer, it's usually packaged with the TRAINER.
:)

I agree with everything you said about bike fit. A good shop will always go to the smaller side for racing. Sounds like they did a good job.

Having bought several trainers over the years - not a one came with a skewer and I don't think someone new to trainers will know they need a skewer. I do think that a good customer should always ask if the bike and the trainer are compatible and does she need anything to make them work together. They may have assumed that since she owned a trainer already, she had a skewer that would work. Some of the skewers in my bikes work just fine in the trainer, but I buy cheapo/used ones so my fancy ones don't get chewed up by the trainer. I just swap them back when I'm going out on the road.

Good customers ask lots and lots of questions and listen, listen, listen!

bikerchick68
02-10-2005, 10:02 AM
another good place to try is

www.velowear.com

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them and have been very pleased with the quality... check their clearance stuff too!!! Smokin prices... congrats on the new bike :)

edited to add that they carry lots of traithlon specific wear too!

spazzdog
02-11-2005, 07:12 AM
I use Tri-Zone, http://www.tri-zone.com They have sale page that usually has some great stuff.

I'm not a triathlete, but I get most of my "onboard" bike equipment from them 'cause it's so light.

trigurl
02-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Pedalfaster thanks! :D

I did tell them I was doing tri's, he was pushing to put me on a bigger bike, I didn't feel comfortable on, I looked again mine is a Small, its a Specialized. I told them several times that I was using the trainer a good bit right now and they didn't even mention I would need a different skewer, I also bought my trainer there and told them that, I just think they could have mentioned that, I am new to this type of riding and know very little about it, but I am learning daily!! I did go by on Fri and he gave me a different skewer!

I finally got to ride my bike outside yesterday, SWEET, it is so comfy and that little bitty seat is actually more comfortable than my hybrid seat was!!!!
I couldn't last much longer than an hour on the trainer without being numb, I rode this bike for an hour inside Fri and never went numb :eek:

This bike is fast too, I only rode about 5 miles b/c I had just ran a little over an hour and I wanted to see how far it was so I used the bike, I was a little too cold to ride much longer anyway, I can't wait for warmer days.

trigurl
02-22-2005, 05:55 AM
I won the bike shorts on ebay :D :D Like new for $15.50 includes shipping. I also emailed the fellow selling them and he has more but they are 20's, so I cain't wear them. That's ok, I only have one pair now that are mens :eek: so women's will be a nice break.

slinkedog
02-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Hey Trigurl! Are you using the stock saddle that came with your bike or did you buy a different saddle? I'm still on the hunt for a good saddle. I'm not sure if mine is just not right for me, or I just need to spend some more time in it. I've put about 150 - 200 miles on my bike since August and my girly bits are still pretty unhappy.

trigurl
02-22-2005, 11:52 AM
So far I am using the stock saddle, I really like it - so far :)

I had a cushy one on my hybrid that left me numb after a while and this one doesn't do that after a long while, this one has the center cut out too. As I get riding more I may find it uncomfy. I hope not this bike cost me a fortune already :D

DeniseGoldberg
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure if mine is just not right for me, or I just need to spend some more time in it. I've put about 150 - 200 miles on my bike since August and my girly bits are still pretty unhappy.

This is a long shot - but it works for me, so maybe... I went through a major battle with saddles a few years back, tried 3 (2 Terry and 1 Specialized) before I found one that I could comfortably ride. I ended up with a Fi'zi:k Vitesse, which is classified as a unisex saddle (OK, I didn't believe it either...). It's a fairly narrow saddle - but I've found that my body is very happy with it and I now have it on all of my bikes.

You can buy it direct from Fi'zi:k on their web site - www.fizik.it (http://www.fizik.it/Main.aspx) - but maybe you'll be lucky and your LBS will carry them.

slinkedog
02-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Thanks Denise and Trigurl. The Fizik is one I've heard of before, but haven't checked out. I will do so now. We, thankfully, have a friend who works at a bike shop and she can order just about anything for us. I was at REI today and they had these incredibly cushy feeling Serfas ones, but I wondered if perhaps they might be TOO squishy. I'm starting to find that less is more in the girly bits area, as far as my body is concerned.