PDA

View Full Version : How's the weather?

IFjane
01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Checking-in with you other mid-Atl. ladies. How did you fare in today's storm?

Here on my side of the mountain we got 5 inches of snow before it turned to sleet & freezing rain. Didn't work today - school closed - but tomorrow is an admin. work day (end of the semester) & I am supposed to go in 2 hours late. Not sure the Element will want to climb up and out of here - it will be the first test of it since I bought it last summer.

How much precip. did y'all get? Stay warm and safe!

Possegal
01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
I had a 3:00 appt to get two new tires, as my front ones were nearly bald. That drive to the tire store was not pretty. :) It was quite ugly on the capital beltway around 2:30!! I shoveled about 4 inches, heavy wet snow but at least no ice, so easy to shovel. Now I'm hoping that my sidewalks don't ice up, though I just peaked out the window and it looks OK so far! I'm glad to be in the house under the covers right now, and needless to say there was no outdoor exercise in my schedule today.

Zen
01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't know how much we got up here but I took the opportunity to wear the wool knickers and socks that BMccasland gave me and we went out for a romp.
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/WoolyKnickers.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/lookright3.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/sledTeam1.jpg

My tires are bad too and I was supposed to work tonight. No way. Driving in freezing rain would make me a nervous wreck.

Possegal- the beltway? Bald tires? are you MAD, woman?!

Possegal
01-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Possegal- the beltway? Bald tires? are you MAD, woman?!

Why yes, yes I am. :) I had an appt tuesday and totally brain farted right through it. DOH! So I was the one on the beltway going about 40. Luckily, so was everyone else. Now I'm good to go, though I still wasn't about to go out tonight, why risk it!

madscot13
01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
it was a slow bike ride home.

Zen
01-17-2008, 09:18 PM
What route and what are you riding?

Completely off-topic-I was at your hospital yesterday but down in the bowels of radiology getting an MRI and ultasound then went to the Starbucks on Reservoir Road. We would never have had time to meet.
Finished the Bryson book too, love that guy's writing.

divingbiker
01-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Wow, Madscot, I can't believe you rode home yesterday. No way I could have, so I hitched a ride with a coworker and took my bike home in his pickup. I think I'm going to wimp out again today, because there is too much slush on the sides of the roads and I know cars won't give me any space. (And I borrowed a parking pass so I don't have to pay for parking!)

Around here, I don't know how many inches we got but it was a very heavy snow/ice mix that I shoveled last night. Drive safely everyone!

Great pictures of the dogs, Zen! Mine hate this mess...Remy just goes out on the deck and pees in the snow. He won't even walk down the steps to get to the yard.

Velobambina
01-18-2008, 02:21 AM
Possibly more expected tomorrow. Hopefully it will move further East and miss us.

We got a couple inches in Arlington. Of course, now that it's almost time to head out for work, the roads are icing up.

Since next week is supposed to be brutally cold, this mess will take awhile to disappear.

My goldens, particulary Mz. Puppy, LOVE the snow.

7rider
01-18-2008, 03:04 AM
I threw out my back yesterday morning getting a box of cereal out of the pantry. :mad::(:mad::( I stayed home with an ice pack, lots of Advil, and the remote to the t.v. and watched about 3 inches of heavy, wet snow fall. I did walk out once to re-fill the bird feeder. Poor hungry birds drained the whole thing by noon.

HillSlugger
01-18-2008, 06:02 AM
I guess we got a few inches and it didn't turn over to rain as early as predicted so most of what we got stayed put. Luckily, roads were in pretty good shape. My streets are good for driving, but I decided not to try running this morning. Things should be good tomorrow morning.

withm
01-18-2008, 02:18 PM
All we got was rain. Being so close to the ocean keeps it warmer all winter, we really don't get much snow here at all. More time for bikes!

Blueberry
01-18-2008, 02:47 PM
We got a really cold, nasty rain. Looks like we may be in for snow tomorrow, though.

I've been recovering from a nasty ear/throat/sinus/cough thing and haven't been on a bike in quite a while:(

IFjane
01-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi all!

The Element had no problem whatsoever climbing out of here this morning. The local roads had not been treated this morning but were passable with icy spots. Once I got to Rt. 15 (about 7 1/2 miles from my house) all was clear. Because it got so warm today everything was fine this evening - except for my little uphill part of the mountain. It never gets sun and is the last to melt. Once the temps drop tonight I will be in for one icy climb for the next few days. Good thing I have Monday off!

I am glad everyone had a safe day yesterday and today - stay warm this weekend!

surgtech1956
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
We've had high winds(40 mph) and freezing cold - today the high was 25 degrees(F) - tomorrow its suppose to be 15 degrees with a low of 8. I wish we'd get some snow - we don't have enough to snowshoe - enough to cross country ski, but I won't go out if its in the teens.

NJ Jess
01-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Coastal NJ got nothing but cold rain and wind. North Jersey has heavy wet snow. Everyone I know is excited that the ground froze so they can mtb. It was getting a bit muddy on the trails. Some road riding continues, but I rather go to the gym.

bmccasland
01-19-2008, 06:14 AM
4 inches of rain overnight here in the Big Easy. Anyone have a boat?

Zen - nice knickers :D;):D Glad you have some snow to play in!

emily_in_nc
01-19-2008, 02:29 PM
It's snowing here in central NC and is just gorgeous! We've got close to 2" here in Efland at 6:30 pm. Tomorrow is supposed to get really cold, as well as Monday, so I smartly brought home stuff I could work on at home in case the roads are still bad Monday morning.

We get snow so infrequently, I love it when it comes. Being snug at home, drinking cocoa, I'm a happy camper. Just don't make me drive in it!

Emily

Blueberry
01-19-2008, 03:11 PM
We got snow here in Durham too - not as much accumulation as Emily, but still nice:) We just got back from a 2 hour walk to Whole Foods and up and around Duke's campus. Nice! Wore a wool base layer, 2 fleece layers and 1 rain shell. Stayed plenty warm (had to take off my gloves off at one point). PI Amphib gloves did well, too:)

CA