PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Adventures

SadieKate
01-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I've been meaning to write up a report on my Boot Camp fun and games but just haven't gotten around to it. Tuckervill mentioned that she's going to one also. So, let's just start a thread about our drill sergeant abuse. I'm so glad I signed up for this because it motivates me to exercise (it was 8 degrees yesterday and this is my first winter in the cold) and it gives me some company (I work from home and I've moved so I know very few people in town).

Our "drill sergeant" is actually very nice, doesn't bark a thing but she definitely can make your a$$ feel kicked. I've been going 4 days a week at 6 am. The intensity variation has been pretty good though it seems that the post-Xmas sessions are not as varied (intensity vs recovery) but overall each are harder.

Just to describe my local Boot Camp -- Due to our winter weather, we're indoors at an in-line hockey/roller derby/volleyball/basketball place so we run a lot of laps in between other exercises. The exercises can be a variety of instructor led wall-sits, pushup, squats, jumping-jacks, horsepulls, step-ups, etc., or some kind of controlled chaos session. Cones are set up around the room with labels for various exercises for kind of a musical chairs approach. You run laps (with sprint intervals) until the instructor says "stop" and then you do whatever is on the nearest cone. Some days, it's a mini-competition. We split into groups of 3-4 and each team has a list placed at the top of the stairs. Each team works through the list, checking off the exercise (at the top of a flight of stairs :cool:) as they finish. These days can be brutal but they're fun at the same time and get everyone talking to each other, which at 6 am can be a hard thing. But then folks who know me know I'll talk anyway (My goal is to make the 6 am class as social as the instructor says the 9 am class is).

After such sessions, she then leads a series of exercises focusing on the abs one day, or the arms with weights another, maybe butts and hips the next. On Monday we had a huge cardio day and were begging for wall-sits to recover.

Boot Camp touts that you will see improvement in a short period of time. Sometime in the first week of each session, you do a timed 10 lap run (supposedly = 1 km) and then various other calisthenic type exercises, some counted to fatigue and some just on time. This is repeated at the end of the multi-week session for a comparison. For instance, a count for how long you can hold a plank position (no butts in the air, ladies!) or the number of tricep dips. You can also do body measurements, weight and fat percentage comparisons.

I gotta say, it works! In just a few weeks I lost significant inches and body fat though I lost very little weight. While I need to lose weight, my focus was on strength and fat percentage. One of my benchmarks for strength is the plank position because it involves so much code body muscles, especially the lower back and abs. I'm back to being able to hold a plank and very slowly lower to the ground and back up. Seems so weird, but this excites me no end. It's just my personal measurement for strength. The impingement in my left shoulder has also improved dramatically. I still do a lopsided downward dog, but it's coming along. I couldn't do it at all 2 months ago.

Boot Camp here is outside during the warmer weather, but I'm just doing it for the winter as cross-training through the end of this month. I'll definitely be back next winter.

Great workout for your entire body. I'm anxious to sit how it improves my riding though I know I'll have to retrain my butt to sit on a saddle.

This is the camp I go to: http://www.bendadventurebootcamp.com/

This is the "parent" organization for the one I attend. There is a link to ones held all over the country. I'd definitely recommend trying one in your area (no, I'm not paid to say that. :p) http://www.adventurebootcamp.com/about-the-creater-of-adventure-boot-camp.html

auntiebobo
01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Great recap SadieKate.

I started my first boot camp this Monday - with the same parent company but in the Seattle area. This is a short session - just 2 weeks so we go all 5 days. The structure is a bit different from yours. We meet at a local high school and are outside MWF for cardio and inside T Th for Ab work. It's been a great workout and for me a much needed motivation for these long, dark winter days. Mine starts at 5:30 am (ugh) but its a perfect time to get back home and showered and to work on time. I really had no excuse - afterall it's only 2 weeks, right?

Well, I've been quite sore but all of it is needed. I'm pretty sure I'm signing up for the next session which will be 4 weeks long. Then, I'm hoping the days will be a bit longer here to get back on my bike during the week.

Anyway, like you I would highly recommend boot camps to anyone who is considering for that little extra bit of motivation to get a great workout and the camaraderie with the other women is great. My camp has all shapes, sizes and ages and every one is encouraged to push themselves at their own level - a good kind of peer pressure.

Tuckervill
01-18-2008, 04:10 AM
I gotta say, it works! In just a few weeks I lost significant inches and body fat though I lost very little weight. While I need to lose weight, my focus was on strength and fat percentage. One of my benchmarks for strength is the plank position because it involves so much code body muscles, especially the lower back and abs. I'm back to being able to hold a plank and very slowly lower to the ground and back up. Seems so weird, but this excites me no end. It's just my personal measurement for strength. The impingement in my left shoulder has also improved dramatically. I still do a lopsided downward dog, but it's coming along. I couldn't do it at all 2 months ago.

The plank is one of my benchmarks, too. But we don't just do planks; we do "ab-dogs". (I don't know if that's a term the guys made up or what.) Plank on your elbows, then move into the down-dog position, staying on your elbows. Do that about 30 times. When you get good at that, alternate raising a leg as you raise your butt. Side planks include an oscillation of the hips, then advancing to raising the top leg during the oscillation.

When I started back in October, I couldn't hold the plank for 15 seconds. Now, FINALLY, my gut doesn't stick out as far as my bust anymore. :)

I envy that huge space you have to work in, and the sprint thing sounds like fun.

My boot camp is 12 weeks, 3 x a week at 6:00 a.m. (I should be there, now, but I can still go to the 8:00 today.) Since it's January they had a big response so they have an 8:00 a.m. class, too, until it peters out.

It's run by a couple of physical therapists, who also do performance and physical training (the name of the place is 3DPT). The gym is the size of a typical retail shop in a strip mall (which is where it is) with no "back room". Nice rubber floor, big mirror, lots of toys all the way around it. A couple of cardio machines--an arc trainer and a Versaclimber, which is a mountain climbing machine that kicks my butt.

We usually warm up with the book they wrote (http://www.andycore.com/master_body_book_store.php) and do 100 jumping jacks. Then it may be a cardio day using their performance toys like ladder drills, dot drills, hurdles, jump rope, etc. We sometimes do the "3DPT loop"--6 minutes of running, skipping, side-to-side, grapevine, frontwards and backwards, and 6 minutes of jogging. Their goal is for us to be able to run a mile in 12 minutes. Another goal is to be able to jump rope for 6 minutes, and then of course, the 100 JJs. They consider those basic fitness standards.

They have a big emphasis on balance, and being fit without any equipment, so there are some specific exercises--one called "balance bird" wherein you stand on one leg and dip down like one of those drinking bird toys, letting the raised leg come up behind you, and trying to touch the floor with your hands. It's harder than it sounds, especially when you get up to 30 or 40 reps, and when your heart is beating fast after JJs.

On Mondays we do a circuit, and it could be a lower body circuit or an upper body circuit. They have all kinds of medicine balls, tramps, and other torture devices to get this done. On Fridays we lift, but they always think up new ways to do it. It's all a lot of fun and keeps it from being boring, for sure.

Every day is wrapped up with mat work, usually the planks and some leg lifts, and stretching, of course.

The two guys who run the place are very hands-on, and such inspirations. Noel is especially impressive--he can outdo anyone on any activity. He's quiet and has a kind of intimidating presence with his shaved head, and doesn't cotton to complainers. The other guy, Ty, is the one with all the personality, and is also a fine physical specimen. I live in a very small town, and I consider it a miracle that they landed in the same town I did (especially since they came from Memphis, like I did, and at about the same time, too). You couldn't find any place more professional, knowledgeable, or innovative in a big city. I think I'm starting to feel addicted to exercise!

I, too, have lost very little weight (well, maybe about 10 lbs since I started in October), but I've lost inches and on top I'm down two sizes. My arms are getting defined, and my legs are smaller. My knees don't hurt anymore. I can run--I never liked to run, but at least now I CAN.

Karen

SadieKate
01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Another test day, another boost!

--Increased # of push-ups in 1 min by 2
--Increased # of squats in 1 min by 6 (12.5%)
--Shoulder press improved by 5 (another 12.5% improvement)

And the best???
--I took 40 secs off my PB on our timed 1 km run!
--Held plank position for the full 2 mins (12 secs longer than last time and 55 secs longer than 6 weeks ago - nearly 100%!)

I think I'm acclimating better to the altitude but I don't think my improved speed is just attributable to that. At least let's hope not. My numbers on some of the tests are staying the same but I know my form is better and I'm accomplishing far more range of motion so I'm very satisfied with the same numbers on some. A dip all the way down and up takes a lot more time and strength than weenie little bobs.

I think my legs are getting strong enough to protect my knees skiing so maybe a little experimenting with some backcountry nordic this weekend. Wish me luck! Or rather, wish my wimpy knees luck.

--SK, feeling pretty darn positive this morning.:p

Veronica
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
That's awesome! You should be pleased as punch!

V.

Tuckervill
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
That's great!

My boot camp has turned to a slippers camp, I think. Everyone's new, except me and one other person, and she hurt herself last week and hasn't been back. (She'll be back next week, while I'm on my cruise.)

On Wednesday we did a cardio circuit, and in the middle we checked heart rate. Mine was 120! I was barely even sweating. Everyone else's was in the 150 range. I choose to interpret that to mean I can do the same thing they can and not get my heart rate so high. Improvement, right??

I also noticed a woman who looked a little like my type who was doing some of the same newbie stuff I did, but no longer do. (Like putting my hands out wide to hold myself up during down dog--because my arms were weak.)

Tomorrow's my last class before the cruise. YIPPEE!

Karen

teigyr
01-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I love reading about all of this!!! I looked at the local boot camps and really want to do it but I have a half-marathon to train for and I've spent kind of a lot of money on my, um, hobbies. I'm thinking next early winter/late fall would be perfect :D I really like hearing about the tangible improvements though. Is so awesome that you can make such a huge impact in such little time. Congrats!

SadieKate
01-25-2008, 06:56 PM
On Wednesday we did a cardio circuit, and in the middle we checked heart rate. Mine was 120! I was barely even sweating. Everyone else's was in the 150 range. I choose to interpret that to mean I can do the same thing they can and not get my heart rate so high. Improvement, right??You go! Sounds like the perfect rationale. Now figure out how to make it harder. :D

teigyr - some of the boot camps have options that let you go only a couple days a week. If you are using it to supplement other workouts, it could really help your training. Whenever I suddenly got the wild urge to try running again, I always went through a period of sore back and ribs. My back always seemed to be a weak point with running. I haven't tried running any kind of distance lately, but the workouts have made my core so much stronger that I think I could start running again without the pain. We rented BC nordic skis today so tomorrow's ski workout should be a good indication of overall body strength. I'll report back. But see what the couple day a week packages cost. Perhaps you could squeeze those into your budget. You might even just be able to buy a couple classes just to try it out and plan next winter's budget.

I'm going have to try Tuckervill's ab-dogs . . .

Starfish
01-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Teigyr, I'm telling ya, nordic skiing is great! Tell me when you want me to come get you in the new E and go up for some skiing! :)

All this boot camp talk is awesome! Very inspiring!

I have just started a class that is not really boot camp, but it is an hour 2x week of a huge variety of muscular and core expercises...always different, surprising the body. It doesn't do cardio, but it comes right before the spinning class 2x week.

In the past, I have done equestrian stuff, tae kwon do, swimming, skiing, etc. that seems to get certain muscles not in other exercises. But, this class hits lots of those weird, hidden muscles.

kjay
01-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all of this great information! It's all very motivating.

yellow
01-26-2008, 06:23 PM
SadieKate runs! and skis! I think I know why this is happening.

It's that "for every action this is an equal and opposite reaction" thing. Though in my world I believe it is "for every inaction, there is an equal and opposite action, which is being picked up by SadieKate".

So does this mean if I actually take up smoking, and eating dairy, and eating more foods laden with HFCS, and that if I get a TV with cable or satellite that you will become an Ironman or something?

Let me know what you need me to do to hep out. :p

SadieKate
01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Could you eat more bon-bons so I will lose more weight?

On a more serious note, I need some consultation time on BC nordic gear. Today was most successful. However, those bad northern California girls sent their big rain storm back up here where it is now melting all my snow.:(

I don't think I'd term 1 km running.

yellow
01-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Could you eat more bon-bons so I will lose more weight?
Bons bons could take care of the dairy and HFCS at the same time. So you're on your way to IM.

Though breaking, big Utah news indicates that you might have statistics working against you. Seems I live in the "thinnest" neighborhood in all of the great state (http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8083736) (and to think that we chose it based on proximity to dog parks!).

OK, I'll walk to the store now to get some bon bons. Or I guess I should drive the 2 blocks, huh? Old habits die hard...

snapdragen
01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
OK, I'll walk to the store now to get some bon bons. Or I guess I should drive the 2 blocks, huh? Old habits die hard...

Oh for goodness sakes, doesn't the store deliver?!?! :p