PDA

View Full Version : Pedals

tricycling
02-04-2005, 08:25 AM
What do you think is better on a tri bike... frog pedals (Zero) Or LOOK?

If not either one, what do you prefer?

pedalfaster
02-04-2005, 08:56 AM
What do you think is better on a tri bike... frog pedals (Zero) Or LOOK?

If not either one, what do you prefer?

Frogs (Speedplay's mtb pedal) can make nice road (or tri) pedals if you plan to use mtb shoes. The advantages of using Frogs (or an spd-type pedal system) is that the cleat is recessed, allowing easier walking. If you are concerned about slipping during transitions, this might be the option for you. If you think you might do some off-road dus and tris (e.g. ExTerra) this would be a great pedal system. Frogs especially are not so bulky and don't look "funny" on a road bike. Then you can slap them on your mtb for off-road events.

Zeros are Speedplay's Limited (or fixed) Float road pedal. They have all of the same advantages as the X series, without the "skating on ice" sensation that new Speedplay users often complain about. The double-sided pedal makes for easy engagement. Speedplay road cleats can be difficult to walk in. They also tend to realllly cake up with mud/grass; if you think any of your transiton ares will include those conditions, you might try another pedal system.

Looks have been around...forever. You'll see tons of these at any triathon event. The large cleat tends to work well for riders prone to hot-spots. The large plastic cleat also makes them ungodly-slippery for walking. If you plan to use Looks you'll probably want to master the art of attaching your pedals to the bike and then slipping into the shoes while riding. Looks are a fairly simple one-sided pedal design. Just be aware that those plastic cleats do need to be replaced often. You might also search the gear section here. Some smaller women conplan that they have difficulty (low ankle strength issues?) disengaging from Looks.

I currently have SPD pedal/cleats on ALL of my bikes and shoes. I like that idea of being able to choose any pair of shoes (I'm a shoe junky) and any bike and just head out the door.

Dogmama
02-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I get more pedaling power from Looks because they are bigger - thus more place to apply force. I agree though - can't walk in the shoes but in a tri you can't run in your bike shoes anyway, right? So you'd have to change shoes anyway.

Just my $.03

madisongrrl
03-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm a fan of Look pedals - I have PP-396