PDA

View Full Version : Winter Get Together??

Crankin
01-14-2008, 03:57 AM
It's halfway through January and we haven't met yet! I know this is short notice, but I was thinking that we could meet at my house and do a snow shoe next weekend, followed by a pot luck lunch. I know not everyone has snow shoes, it would be possible to hike if the snow wasn't too high. Or, you could just go buy those snow shoes!
Let me know. I'm open to either Saturday or Sunday, but Saturday would be better.

Robyn

indigoiis
01-14-2008, 05:52 AM
I might be interested, although, I have my daughter next weekend and she is sort of non-outdoorsy at the moment... I'll see what she thinks.

Indy

mudmucker
01-14-2008, 07:42 AM
I am interested, except I'm having folks over for dinner on Saturday. Sunday would be better for me, in early afternoon. Actually, the weekend of the 26/27 would be super better for me.

I have just recently been dealing with a (strange first-time) episode of severe joint pain that seems to be winding down now. I have not biked, xc skied, ran, or snowshoed at all this winter because of this. I'm scheduled to see a rheumatologist next week but I can try to be up for it or maybe we can have a contingency plan for ailing participants. I do own old-time snowshoes with the wood and rawhide lacing. I'd be more up for xc skiing (I say optimistically but for a short run, not knowing how my joints would respond).

(I don't typically view TE during the week and miss many threads as there is a firewall at work not allowing me to view TE from there. I am working at home today so that's why I saw this. I rarely log on at night cause I'm home late but I'll follow this thread)

Crankin
01-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Ah Mudmucker, don't worry. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia this fall and my endurance is not that great. I've been exercising, but at a lower intensity.I'm feeling a little better now, so I am trying to do my normal winter training routine. The snow shoeing we would do is just on local conservation lands in Concord and Acton. It's rolling, with no big hills. It's about 3.8 miles. This is a social get together!
I can do the next weekend (26th/27th), also Sunday would be better. But, I am going away next Monday until Friday, so this has to be set up by this Friday, the 18th.

Denise, Tasha, Jolt, Jean, Cathy??? Are you out there?

SheFly
01-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm here, Robyn! Sounds like fun, but weekends in the winter are pretty tough for me. We usually head up to the house in Bethel... Although we were home this past weekend, and put in 100 miles of riding over two days...

Snowshoeing sounds like so much fun, too! I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if we are home, would love to participate!

SheFly (who was supposed to fly to Florida this morning, and is stuck in Bedford because of the snowstorm.... :mad:)

Jolt
01-14-2008, 09:32 AM
That sounds like fun--I'll just have to see how crazy things get with school stuff. Saturday (either weekend) should be good as long as I'm not totally swamped with work. And I should be able to keep up better on a hike than I did on the ride this summer!!!

Crankin
01-14-2008, 09:55 AM
OK, let's make it the weekend of the 26/7. Looks like Sat. might be better for some, but let's not decide on the date yet.
Cathy, are you leaving for Fla. tomorrow? I figured you'd be in Maine for weekends. I didn't ride at all in the warm weather :eek:. I walked to Concord center Saturday, had a latte and walked back, so that was a nice 8 mile jaunt. My bike is on the trainer, so nicely cleaned by my pro cyclist "son" from Germany. Actually, my husband was too lazy to get on the mtb's to ride and I gave in. Sunday I started my Graeme Street DVDs.

Still waiting to hear from everyone else.

SheFly
01-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Cathy, are you leaving for Fla. tomorrow? I figured you'd be in Maine for weekends. I didn't ride at all in the warm weather :eek:. I walked to Concord center Saturday, had a latte and walked back, so that was a nice 8 mile jaunt.

Yup - flying out tomorrow instead. It's a work trip anyway, so nothing too exciting, but would have been warmer and less snowy there :D.

Your walk sounds like it was LONG! That's a haul from your house! good for you. Sounds like you must be feeling better (I've been following your other thread too).

SheFly

mudmucker
01-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Either Sat or Sun then, the 26/27 is fine for me.

(As an aside)
I may still opt for a contingency plan for myself depending how things go.
Not that I'm complaining, I'm just saying - the kind of joint pain was I couldn't walk because of intense knee pain and I couldn't hold a coffee cup because of knuckle/wrist/elbow pain. I am only now getting around the house and just able to walk up and down stairs without a problem. Add to that I've been bleeding for 4 weeks (ah yes, women drew the short straw with the big M) and the doc say I'm anemic likely due to that. The blood work also showed an existing thyroid condition recently turned hypothyroid which means an additional fatigue factor until the new dosage kicks in. I live alone on 2 acres and in a few minutes I have to go out and horse around a 30" snowblower for my 100' driveway which won't be helpful. I am in hunker down, protect, rest, and recover mode. I certainly want to be up for some of the intense hillrides I was doing last year when the bike season starts up.

My contingency plan would be to go out and snowshoe and possibly double-back a shorter distance; or depending upon conditions I could xc ski next to you which may give me an easier time; or if things are really bad get an estimated return time from you guys and join in the food part. Other than that I'm up for the get-together.

Jolt
01-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Either Sat or Sun then, the 26/27 is fine for me.

(As an aside)
I may still opt for a contingency plan for myself depending how things go.
Not that I'm complaining, I'm just saying - the kind of joint pain was I couldn't walk because of intense knee pain and I couldn't hold a coffee cup because of knuckle/wrist/elbow pain. I am only now getting around the house and just able to walk up and down stairs without a problem. Add to that I've been bleeding for 4 weeks (ah yes, women drew the short straw with the big M) and the doc say I'm anemic likely due to that. The blood work also showed an existing thyroid condition recently turned hypothyroid which means an additional fatigue factor until the new dosage kicks in. I live alone on 2 acres and in a few minutes I have to go out and horse around a 30" snowblower for my 100' driveway which won't be helpful. I am in hunker down, protect, rest, and recover mode. I certainly want to be up for some of the intense hillrides I was doing last year when the bike season starts up.

My contingency plan would be to go out and snowshoe and possibly double-back a shorter distance; or depending upon conditions I could xc ski next to you which may give me an easier time; or if things are really bad get an estimated return time from you guys and join in the food part. Other than that I'm up for the get-together.

UGH!! Hope you feel better soon! Are you taking iron for the anemia? Being anemic can definitely make you feel like crud as far as being tired.

Crankin
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
You could ski the trail. It's better when the snow is fresh for that. Personally, I like skiing on groomed trails, but I've a done a bit of trail breaking in my skis.

Cathy, I am feeling better. I don't know whether it's the acupuncture or the medication. I'm still not totally better; sometimes I doubt the diagnosis. My primary care doc has me going for a pulmonary function test and an echo cardiogram, since I mentioned those were the only 2 areas that I haven't been tested in. Yes, I have asthma, but that hasn't been an issue since last winter and I guess she wants the check to check the benign heart murmur I have. All I can say is that she hasn't done much and the rheumatologist at least listens. Of course, he's a cyclist. I'm not having any bone pain/rheum symptoms, only the weird pain in the cartilage in my ear and throat and the ear ringing. And that is not all of the time. Well enough about me.

SheFly
01-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Mudmucker - hang in there! Don't overdo.

Robyn - who is your rheumotologist? DH was just to one in Concord last week, and FINALLY diagnosed with a form of arthritis.

SheFly

DebW
01-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I should be able to make it. I've got evening events on the 19th and 26th but morning and early afternoon should work. I can bring 3 or more pairs of snowshoes if anyone needs to borrow.

Crankin
01-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Cathy, my rheumo.'s name is Martin Kafina.
, OK Deb. I will put you down for the weekend of the 26th

newfsmith
01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
I'll be in Albany 1/19, and Wisconsin 1/26 & 2/2, DH has already committed us for 2/9 (don't tell the kids), and I'll be back to Wisconsin 2/16. Too bad, I would really like to try snowshoes.

Crankin
01-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Get the snowshoes, Jean. You can just go out anywhere and get a good work out!
Did you retire yet?

indigoiis
01-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Did you guys decide on the Sat. or the Sun.?
I would like to join in... the Sat. works better for me.
Maybe I can get redrhodie to come with me...

Crankin
01-18-2008, 03:52 AM
OK, it looks like Sunday is better for me and a couple of others. I figured that we would start the hike from my house at about 11 AM. So that means getting to Concord by 10:45. I have no idea of course, if there will be enough snow to snow shoe, but we can definitely hike. It's about 4 miles, nothing hard.
So, I will take a final count next Friday night when I get home from Vermont. Then I will PM or email directions to my house and we can decide about food.
I will probably take my lap top with me to Vermont, but I am not sure if there's Internet access.

Have a good week and post here if you want to come.

Robyn

Jolt
01-18-2008, 04:13 AM
Looks like I won't be able to make this one--Sunday morning isn't a good time for me. Have fun and maybe I'll catch you guys at the next get-together. Here's hoping for a good amount of snow!

indigoiis
01-21-2008, 04:38 AM
I can't do the Sunday, either. Bummer!

Crankin
01-21-2008, 06:11 AM
I am about to leave for my trip. I will be back Friday around dinner time. If Sunday is really bad for you guys, I am willing to do Saturday. My house might be full of winter athletic gear strewn around, but that's OK.
Soooo, let's go for Saturday, the 2nd, meeting at 10:45.
So far it looks like Deb, Indigolis, and Jolt can come on Sat. I am waiting to hear from Denise. Anyone else? I will PM everyone with directions and phone #s on Friday night.

Robyn

mudmucker
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I am about to leave for my trip. I will be back Friday around dinner time. If Sunday is really bad for you guys, I am willing to do Saturday. My house might be full of winter athletic gear strewn around, but that's OK.
Soooo, let's go for Saturday, the 2nd, meeting at 10:45.
So far it looks like Deb, Indigolis, and Jolt can come on Sat. I am waiting to hear from Denise. Anyone else? I will PM everyone with directions and phone #s on Friday night.Robyn

Wait. I thought we were talking about Saturday the 26th or Sunday the 27th. Now it's Saturday Feb 2 ? Regardless, I can make either of the two Saturdays available but please confirm.

indigoiis
01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Oy! I can't do the 2nd... got kid that weekend and she's kind of going through a teenager's rebellion of all things outdoors.

I could force her, maybe... :p

DebW
01-22-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure that the hike is supposed to be this Saturday Jan 22. Maybe Robyn just confused the dates. I'll try to phone her tonight and confirm the date.

Crankin
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi Everyone,

Yes, I had the wrong date; trying to do too much at one time. Anyway, I am back and I am still on for tomorrow, the 26th.

I will PM everyone.

Robyn

mudmucker
01-26-2008, 04:07 AM
I never got PM'd for location or directions. I guess I won't be showing up because I don't know where I'm going.

Crankin
01-26-2008, 10:03 AM
This is my public apology to Mudmucker! I checked this thread before I went to bed and I didn't see your post. I knew I had forgotten someone, which didn't become apparent until I got your PM this morning.
We had a great hike. Andrea (Jolt) lead Deb and I at a challenging pace. The trail was kind of icy, but it was beautiful out. We had a nice lunch of rice salad, which Andrea made, home made bread, courtesy of Deb, fruit, and oj.

Hopefully, we can do an early spring ride this year.
Robyn