PDA

View Full Version : From British Columbia coast with love

shootingstar
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
since some of you do live in British Columbia and others who are thinking of B.C., here are some older photos of our bike trips on Vancouver Island, including Victoria (Galloping Goose Trail) and Gulf Islands.

http://jean.thecyclistwebhouse.com/Vancouver_Island/image001.htm

I suppose the age of these photos...indicates proof of cycling then and now..
We've done more mini-trips since then in the area. And yes, we do seem to make annual bike trip over to Saltspring Island.

Popoki_Nui
01-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Wonderful photography! I recognize many of those scenes, especially the Goose and in/around Victoria. When you rode out the Goose, you went right past my house. Stop in next time! ;)

Thanks for the pics :)
~Sherry.

kelownagirl
01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Loved the pics! DH and I did the Goose 2 summers ago. I recognized many of the view points. We try to go to Saltspring every year too! Was one of those pictures on the kettle valley trestles???

shootingstar
01-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Trestle is on Galloping Goose....alot lower...than Kettle Valley!
But I will repeat for benefit of other B.C.'ers, I was inspired to capture something arty the Okanagan wine valley area in winter with its stark..black, grey, reddish...landscape in relief after our snowshoeing trip this past Christmas vacation just north of Penticton..

I know now my partner really....wants to cycle more of the Kettle Valley cycling trail. He has a vested interest in all this...he is rabid cyclist and advocate. It's all part of his pet project for better coordination of cycling routes province-wide in B.C.

I suspect simply because of his volunteer work..as president for B.C. Cycling Assoc. ...there will be meetings where I might join him ridiing out to there...and meet some of you.

But even now without that....we could converge somewhere ...sometime..

crazycanuck
01-12-2008, 08:22 PM
It appears Ian & I will be up your way in May hey hey.. We fly into Van & would like to visit Vic if possible..

Keep your eyes on the lookout for on exact dates...May 8th onwards...we believe..

Grog
01-13-2008, 01:12 PM
It appears Ian & I will be up your way in May hey hey.. We fly into Van & would like to visit Vic if possible..

Keep your eyes on the lookout for on exact dates...May 8th onwards...we believe..

Duly noted.

Thanks for the pics Shootingstar!

shootingstar
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Cool, canuck. Which Canadian city did you last live in before hiking over to Aussieland?

I say we ride part of the Galloping Goose -at least as far as Popuki's place..or nearby.
Or we meet at Cascadia Bakery in downtown Victoria. There is a great sushi place nearby.... I can only do stuff like this on weekend. I do not have enough vacation benefit days.

Or meet outside at the gazebo outside Science World in downtown Vancouver. Allows those of us to ride before or after. There's space for a bunch of cyclists. At least out-of-towners can see the progress of construction for 2010 Olympic athlete's village nearby..there's a bike path cutting through that construction stuff right now.

:) :)

For those living in Ontario, I do know Toronto well and its bike routes. And touring in southern Eastern Ontario, etc. Would love to know the current developments in cycling world there.

crazycanuck
01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
For many moons, Edmonton/oil town...

If we do venture over to Vic, is there a reputable bike rental place? Is it safe to bike from the downtown area over to the fairburn area?

shootingstar
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
For many moons, Edmonton/oil town...

If we do venture over to Vic, is there a reputable bike rental place? Is it safe to bike from the downtown area over to the fairburn area?

Just 2 stores down from Cascadia Bakery is Reckless Bike Store. They rent bikes.

We live near a Reckless Bike Store in Vancouver just down the street from us.

I've never cycled in Edmonton but have been there once pre-cycling days. I did do a certain amount of cycling in Calgary when I visited city when my partner was working there for 2 years. Yes, we did do some cycling and hiking in the Rockies several times.

Popoki_Nui
01-13-2008, 08:18 PM
CC: yes, I know of a couple of places in Victoria that rent decent bikes, or I might have a couple you can borrow depending on your size and what you like to ride.

Do you mean the Fairburn school area of Vic? I grew up around there. You can ride to that area almost the entire way from downtown very safely on the Goose and UVIC connector trails.

~Sher.

crazycanuck
01-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Popoki-i'm really short & normally ride a 44cm bike. Yep, i'm referring to the fairburn school area. Fairhurst ave is the place i want to wander over to.

Popoki_Nui
01-14-2008, 07:11 AM
My spare bikes will likely be too large for you then. No worries...there are lots of places to rent bikes from: Selkirk Station, Reckless, and at least a couple of seasonal places that set up shop down in the Inner Harbour near the seaplane terminal that should be open in early May.

Apart from a couple of intersections you will have to cross, getting to the Fairburn/Fairhust area is easy and safe. You'll have no trouble.

shootingstar
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Let us know if plane touchdown means jumping off into Vancouver for a few days.

crazycanuck
01-16-2008, 11:06 PM
SStar-we fly to Vancouver & will spend a few days there as we have rellies in the area.

mizztissa
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Great pics! :D

I have friends on the island that live in Black Creek (that's between Courtenay and Campbell River)
There was an island, I think it was called Quadra or Texada, that makes for a beautiful day of cycling.
Hope you get to see it someday. No cars!

shootingstar
01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Great pics! :D

I have friends on the island that live in Black Creek (that's between Courtenay and Campbell River)
There was an island, I think it was called Quadra or Texada, that makes for a beautiful day of cycling.
Hope you get to see it someday. No cars!

My brain is trying to remember which island I went as a tourist (when I was still living in Ontario) across from Campbell River where I stayed by myself for a few days. I think it was Quadra. I didn't do much for a few hrs. because I didn't rent a bike that day. Just wandered abit, much of the island is undeveloped with very few roads, and any, are short... if dim memory serves me right.

I don't mind cars...provided the road is wide enough. But on West Pender Island (another Gulf island) this summer, just on the Saturday was not the greatest thing. still the traffic volume doesn't compare to....Toronto.

My theory is ...to best appreciate the province's beautiful outdoor offerings...is to lst live in another part of Canada for a few years lst.

Are you a British Columbian?