PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to Clipless

Resumer
01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm a beginner, and bought my bike with regular platform pedals because I want to get comfortable and feel competent on my bike before transitioning to clipless.

My question is this...I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes for clipless pedals, because they were on clearance and I got a great deal on them. I want to know if there's any harm in wearing them while riding with the platform pedals. I'm not sure if there's a breaking in period with them (they're way comfortable so I just can't tell) that makes it a good idea to just get used to them starting now, or if the platform pedals could damage them in some way.

Just checkin' before I blow my new deal!! Thanks in advance for any thots..

mimitabby
01-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't see how it would hurt you one bit.

I rode with bike shoes and no clips for a good year-two years before I finally put the spd's on and clipped in.

Zen
01-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Are they road shoes or MTB shoes?
I could be wrong (shocking!) but wouldn't road shoes be slippy on platform pedals?

RoadRaven
01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I would b cautious about using road cycling shoes made for cleats on normal pedals.

You may damage the sole - many are plastic, some are carbon. They are designed for all weight to go on the cleats and heels (whether you are walking on them or cycling in them).

Just be aware of this
:)

wannaduacentury
01-11-2008, 05:26 AM
I don't see how it would hurt you one bit.

I rode with bike shoes and no clips for a good year-two years before I finally put the spd's on and clipped in.

Me too. My pedals are double sided, meaning platform on one side and clipless on the other. I was on a ride last week and discovered I wasn't the only one w/ this set up. I like having choices for my comfort level. Jenn

Resumer
01-11-2008, 06:07 AM
THanks for all the feedback....I'm thinking I'll give it a try and pay attention to how it feels, and works. Didn't know about the dual pedal option so appreciate learning about that!

Once again, TE ROCKS!!!:)