PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Memphis area?

SadieKate
01-31-2005, 08:14 AM
One of my co-workers just told me he has a cousin in Memphis who is just getting into running. She's doing it by herself without any guidance on her training. He's very concerned that she's not drinking or eating properly. She ran a half marathon without drinking! Anyone know if there are women's running groups in the area? Any info you have is much appreciated!

CorsairMac
01-31-2005, 01:41 PM
No - I used to live and run in Indiana. I ran 1/2 marathons all the time and I never carried water or wore sunglasses. I don't know if its because I was young and stupid and lucky or because the humidity there is so much higher but I never had any problems. I did drink at the water stations when I ran races but my rationalization for that was: I was running faster since it was a race. My question to your friend would be - did she show signs of dehydration either during the run or after? If not - she actually could be OK.

SadieKate
01-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, she's another MS patient and we can be susceptible to both heat (due to the disease) and dehydration (due to the meds). She's not in the "race" mode but more like the "yeah, I finished mode!." She didn't even drink at the water stations. She spent 3 hours in vigorous exercise without water. I agree, humidity helps but not THAT much. I think your body actually has a harder time regulating its temperature when sweat doesn't evaporate the way it does in arid climates. Her cousin/nurse/my co-worker is very concerned based on his conversations with her so he wants to get her connected with someone she'll listen to. :(

snapdragen
01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
TA-DA! :D

http://www.memphisrunners.com

It's the running club in Memphis, they are starting a special Women and Running program in July. (Click on MRTC Club info, then Women and Running program..)

SadieKate
01-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Ooooh, you're so cool! :p

Dogmama
02-01-2005, 03:14 AM
I think your body actually has a harder time regulating its temperature when sweat doesn't evaporate the way it does in arid climates. :(

You are absolutely correct. Sweat is supposed to dry, thus cooling your body. When it is humid - no drying effect thus no cooling effect.

That's why, in Arizona we grin & say, "Yeah but it's a dry heat!" At which point I always retort "Yeah, so is hell." :rolleyes:

CorsairMac
02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
oh Dogmama! thanks for that laugh! I remember those days and I would say - yeah but its a dry heat and my sis (from MO) would say 115 is 115 dry or moist! and Sadie - I agree, with any type of medical condition the rules change dramaticlly! Hats off to Snap "the Search" Dragon for finding a site. I hope she at least gives them a call!