PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross bikes

surgtech1956
01-04-2008, 04:46 PM
What exactly is a cyclocross bike, besides the wider tires? Not every manufacturer(Giant, Trek, Specialized or Diamondback) makes a cross bike?

KnottedYet
01-04-2008, 04:51 PM
They tend to have geometry a bit more relaxed than a road racing bike, but not as slack as a touring bike. The bottom bracket is generally a bit higher than on a road bike. The forks have a lot of clearance, nice for mud and fenders. Generally canti brakes. Sturdy wheels, with the option of wider tires if you like. (one of my cyclocross bikes has 32mm, the other has 28mm. I like wide tires.)

Nice all-round bikes.

Take a peek at Kona Jake, Jamis Aurora, Surly Cross Check, SOMA Double Cross; entry level bikes but not cr@p.

They remind me of the 10-speeds we had as kids.

Eden
01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Most manufacturers do make a cross bike - but sometimes it takes a little digging
Specialized - Tricross
Giant - TCX
Kona - Jake
Trek - XO
Redline - Conquest
Salsa - Chili Con Crosso
to name a few
They usually are not given their own category, but are rather listed as road bikes

flash
01-07-2008, 06:00 AM
A light weight, fun to ride corss bike:
Slingshot DD-X: LINK (http://www.slingshotbikes.com/bikes/5)

VenusdeVelo
01-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Don't think I saw Bianchi on the list -- just got one this year for CX (I'm an entry level CXer) and I really like it, and a good price point as well. There are 3 levels (I think) of CX bikes Bianchi sells, I have the mid-tier (Axis) The bottom tier, although it could be used for cross, is billed as more of a commuter/touring bike (Volpe). The Axis retailed for 1399 but I was able to get it for around 1000. Plus, the big selling factor -- I am on the shorter side and Bianchi is one of the few who sells a 44 which is comparable to a 47 on a road bike (I generally fit a 47 or 49 road bike). Many other brands such as Trek, Giant, etc. were too tall for me....the CX bike market has not quite hit on women's needs yet. I wanted decent cross-over on the top tube to be able to mount/dismount without too much trouble. I also use my CX bike when there is crud like snow on the road. Put studded tires on it and it would be a great winter bike.

You will also have V-brake (cantilevers) on CX bikes -- they are much easier to maintain once you slog through the mud in your first CX race!

Have fun bike hunting ;-)

mudmucker
01-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I just was talking with a guy the other day that uses his cyclocross bike for everything. He has a Lemond Poprad and specifically chose a cyclocross bike because he wanted one bike to do all. His is a 9 speed double and the weight for road riding doesn't bother him. He's done a couple of centuries on it. He uses his slick tires when he rides on the road, and switches out to wider knobbies when he goes off-road.

Bluetree
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
A short gal in my club has just gotten a sponsorship deal from Redline, therefore has no need for her old bikes. She's offered to sell me her 48cm Orbea Lobular 'cross bike with Campy Record for a really good price (less than four figures). It's slightly bigger and more upright than my S-Works road bike, but I'm really just interested in using it as a part-time rain/beather bike.

Other than replacing the knobby tires, what other things do I need to adapt to make it a worthy rain/road cruiser?

Thanks!

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/glorycycles_1987_27376430

tulip
01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
An Orbea as a beater bike?! Egads!

Lucky you. Take care of her, even if she is your beater bike...

I'd replace the Campy with Shimano 105 (Campy is NOT beater-bike stuff!) and KEEP the tires--good in rain and mud. Do you cyclocross? Wow, with a bike like that, you might want to start.

RoadRaven
01-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Am saving this thread to my favourites
We are thinking about adding a couple of cyclocross bikes to our stable and this has a good range of recommendations
Thanks gals
:)

tulip
02-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Bicycling Magazine (the current issue) has a review of the Luna Orbit cross bike. It's a very nice bike if you are looking for a custom-made frame. I have a Luna Eclipse road bike and I love the fit. Margo (the framebuilder) really does wonderful work.

Velobambina
02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I have a Luna Orbit (and an Eclipse) and I love both bikes. My Orbit has a custom-made steel fork--rides like a dream. I ended up putting road slicks on my Orbit, as I prefer my Kona Lisa for anything off pavement (my almost 45-year old bones appreciate Lisa's dual suspension).

Both of my Lunas are PINK.

I admit that I inwardly groaned when I saw the Orbit featured in Bicycling. I'm such a snob....don't like my stuff getting "discovered" by the masses. LOL. Kind of how I felt when I first heard the Cure on "regular" radio, after years of loving them before America "discovered" them.

tulip
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I had a twinge of the same feeling...guess my secret's out! But I'm happy for Margo. I had the pleasure of going to her place when she was in Santa Fe, NM a few years ago. I called her up to see if I could visit her "factory." She laughed, and said, "It's must me and my dogs in the garage, but you're welcome to come take a look." I did, and I bought a bike while I was there, one she had already built and had for sale. It fit me like a custom bike would. It was so interesting to see her "factory," even if it was just her garage and dogs!

Velobambina
02-05-2008, 01:57 AM
No wonder I love my Lunas! Margo had her dogs there with her when she made my bikes. No better souls than those of dogs!

F8th637
02-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Great thread, ladies! I just came back from an attempt at a bike fit only to learn that my hybrid is way too small for me. After talking with the shop owner a while she suggested cyclocross bikes to me since it seems to be more in line with how I want to use my bike. The hybrid, unfortunately, is less than a year old. Now how do I work it so that my husband isn't too mad at me at trying to sell my young hybrid for a nice cyclocross in a higher price range? ;):p

tulip
02-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Tell him you're getting smarter!

Zen
02-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I just came back from an attempt at a bike fit only to learn that my hybrid is way too small for me.

What kind is it and what size? I'm considering a hybrid for canal rides.

F8th637
02-06-2008, 05:30 AM
What kind is it and what size? I'm considering a hybrid for canal rides.

It is a GT Nomad LTD and the size is XS. I'm not sure what that translates to in inches. I could measure for you, if you like. I'm 5'6" and was told I could probably fit better on a medium. Would an XS work for you?

tulip
02-06-2008, 06:53 AM
It is a GT Nomad LTD and the size is XS. I'm not sure what that translates to in inches. I could measure for you, if you like. I'm 5'6" and was told I could probably fit better on a medium. Would an XS work for you?

Who sold you that bike!?!? It's so frustrating with bike shops do that just to sell what's on the floor. F8th, I recommend Proteus Bikes in College Park, Maryland. Jill will never sell you a bike that doesn't fit your body or your needs.

F8th637
02-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Who sold you that bike!?!? It's so frustrating with bike shops do that just to sell what's on the floor. F8th, I recommend Proteus Bikes in College Park, Maryland. Jill will never sell you a bike that doesn't fit your body or your needs.

LOL That's who I went to see yesterday. She was great! She kept saying it wasn't my fault but honestly I do feel guilty because I didn't go to a reputable bike shop and instead went to a chainy store. So among other things I'm dealing with that emotional turmoil right now. :p

elk
02-15-2008, 02:26 PM
No wonder I love my Lunas! Margo had her dogs there with her when she made my bikes. No better souls than those of dogs!

(((((((((velobambina)))))))))))))

xeney
03-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about the fit of the Bianchi Volpe? I am thinking about getting a cross bike, not for cyclocross but for taking my daughter on rides in the trailer. We live really close to both a paved trail and a gravel trail, and the gravel trail connects to a better part of the paved trail, so it would be really handy to have a bike that could handle both surfaces without weighing a ton like my mountain bike. I have a friend with a baby the same age who plans to use her cross bike for pulling her trailer, so it seems like a good fit for my purposes and for riding together.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this bike and the Volpe seems like a good price point, but it might be a big pain to test ride one so I want to know something about the fit before I go hunt one down to test out.

susan.wells
03-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about the fit of the Bianchi Volpe?.
My husband has ridden a Volpe for the last 5 years for both road & trail. He has been extremely satisfied with bike. I ride rail trail some and a mountain bike is overkill IMHO plus I like the drop handlebars so I can vary my hand position. Therefore, I also purchased a Volpe this Christmas just for rail trail and longer tours where I cart extra gear with me. I had a 44 ordered and it fits me quite nicely. My Trek is a 47 for comparison. My LBS worked with me to get the fit to approximate my road bike as closely as possible. Can't wait to take her out if the snow ever ends ... :eek:

xeney
03-22-2008, 09:32 AM
That's an interesting size comparison! Could you tell me whether it was more of an issue of the reach or an issue of standover/height that made you need to downsize?

Drtgirl
03-22-2008, 09:23 PM
For what it's worth...

I test rode a Bianchi Axis last summer. I'm 5'4" and the 44cm was too small (scrunched up), yet the 49cm's reach was a bit too long.

susan.wells
03-23-2008, 12:45 AM
It was both reach & standover. I have attached the geometry of my two bikes for comparison. 28.5 inches is about the maximum I can take in standover- short legs and long torso.

xeney
03-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Thank you, very helpful!

awats
04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
I just bought a Ridley Crossbow. I believe it's a slightly taller bike, but I absolutely love it. Ridley is another brand with great cross bikes at different price ranges. Good luck!